WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Video and Photography (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87667)
-   -   Video Editing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779891)

rene 05-25-2010 4:07 PM

Video Editing

What software do you use to make all your movies?

What program do you use for the special effects?

dj_jiggler 05-31-2010 3:20 PM

i use Sony Vegas pro, and i am playing with adobe after effects, but after effects is like what a lot of big time pros use!

peterc4 06-14-2010 11:43 PM

Sony Vegas Pro is great and pretty easy to use.

garveyj 06-15-2010 6:16 AM

I use Adobe Premier

mattgettel 06-15-2010 6:22 AM

Chalk me up for Adobe Production Premium too.

skull 06-15-2010 7:38 AM

Final Cut Pro or iMovie 09... iMovie 09 is hard to beat for throwing together something quick.

wakeboardern1 06-15-2010 12:16 PM

I use Vegas Pro with After effects to supplement it. Well, sorta, I'm teaching myself after effects here so that I can make some cooler transitions and better titles...

rfmediagroup 06-15-2010 5:19 PM

Final cut pro for basic editing, after effects for any special effects, cinema tools for conforming, and apple color for color grading!

dcervenka 06-16-2010 2:03 AM

Both Global Warning & The Chick Flick were cut using Premiere Pro (PPRO) and After Effects (AE).
We also used Mocha in GW for tracking.

mikel_j 06-17-2010 1:22 PM

You gotta love some Mocha for tracking!

Syntheyes is also in my fav 5

cali_rider 06-17-2010 5:56 PM

http://home.pacbell.net/mnyberg/supe...ting2010_1.jpg

I keep it old school.

mattgettel 06-18-2010 8:54 AM

Literally cut and paste...nice!

Anubis79 06-20-2010 4:49 PM

Sony Vegas for video
Adobe After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator for graphics and effects
Adobe Encore for DVD

bradlovellphotography 06-21-2010 9:06 PM

I've actually been shooting a little HD video with my Mark II lately and playing around with editing in iMovie. I probably won't be doing much since I do more stills work. Just a question though, is there a certain way I need to export my movie from iMovie so I can burn it on a DVD and watch it on the TV? I exported one tonight and then burned it to a disc and the DVD player said it couldn't read it. I'm guessing since it's a .mov file.

Anubis79 06-21-2010 11:59 PM

Brad: yes, you will have to make it DVD compatible. Movie DVDs aren't as simple as just burning a file and tossing it in the player. You'll need DVD authoring software which conforms the files to DVD spec. Most programs should auto-convert the file to the correct format, but some may not. When I do mine, I always export from the editor at the least compressed file type, which is generally Uncompressed AVI. It's a huge file so it's only good if you have the space. You could export to DVD-spec MPEG-2 to skip a step, but you might have to do some guess work on what settings to use. The next problem is that you're working with HD you say, which is not DVD-spec. You'll lose the HD by going to a straight DVD. To keep the HD you'll have to create something in a format called AVCHD. It allows you to put HD video on a DVD and play it in a Blu-ray player. AVCHD discs won't work in a standard DVD player. If you want to maximize the potential, you'll likely have to downsize to DVD-spec so you can play it on DVD players. A whole other can of worms is opened when you start worrying about aspect ratio and the 16x9 format of HD and 4x3 of standard.

bradlovellphotography 06-22-2010 8:40 AM

I appreciate the feedback. I figured I'd have to convert somehow. I used to use a program when I was working with Windows to do this but it's been a while since I've messed with some video work. You recommend any software to help me covert after I export?

Anubis79 06-22-2010 9:40 AM

I use Adobe Encore because it integrates with Photoshop and After Effects. Since you mentioned iMovie, I'd say take a look at iDVD. I'm not in the know with MAC software but when I was looking up some things I saw you can export directly from iMovie to iDVD. It would probably be the easiest solution, removing a few steps and also stopping you from learning a completely new program as I'd assume the layouts of all the i-video programs would be similar.