WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Beginner - My first real setup (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781423)

guma 07-08-2010 7:07 PM

Beginner - My first real setup

Very new to wakeboarding, but have been skiing and kneeboarding since I was in my early teens. Being 38, wakeboarding was not something I thought I would ever give a try, but my buddy had a POS Gladiator board with some crappy bindings out this past week so I thought why not...

Got behind our Tige 22Ve with no ballast at 67 off and speed of 18mph. By my 3rd set I was jumping and by the end of the week I almost cleared my first W2W. HOOKED!

Did some pretty quick research and went to a local store to discuss boards and bindings. Ended up with a Ronix District board (137) off of craigslist and a pair of 2010 Ronix Relik bindings. I know the 2011's are coming out this week, but I am not a fan of the shiny patent leather look on the new Reliks.

So the wait begins for it all to get here....

Any advice on how to set the bindings up on the board? Guy at the shop said to spread them out as far as I could, so I will give that a shot. I am mostly thinking (probably overthing) the degrees. Should they be same on each binding? I ride left foot forward it that makes any difference.

lives2wake 07-08-2010 7:45 PM

If you are just starting off, I don't think putting them as far appart would be a good idea. Jump up in the air and try to land naturally on both feet and don't move them. Look down at how your feet naturally point and how far they are appart. If you go too wide or point them in a way that causes you to bend unnaturally it can cause hip/knee strain.

Any other tips or ideas?

bennn 07-08-2010 10:25 PM

starting out i had both bindings a little closer to the tail end of the board and had my front foot angled out at about 15 degrees and my back foot angled out less than 5 degrees. although if you're already jumping and nearly going wake to wake you're probably considering riding switch. if so, you need your stance centered and more evenly angled out. i'm sure others can offer more insight. and good call, Justin, about the width.

guma 07-08-2010 11:05 PM

Ben - Yes tried switch.. Figured after one of my numerous falls I would try getting up with my right foot forward. To say it felt awkward would be an understatement, since the bindings were set at different angles with the front having more angle towards the front of the board than the back.

I do assume alot of this is rider preference, but was looking for a place to start, which you guys have given me. I will probably start with everything symmetrical, i.e. width midpoint over the board, and foot positioning at a "neutral" point. Make adjustments from there and see how it goes.

Thanks guys!

tampawake 07-09-2010 6:39 AM

Guma you gotta be lovin your boat was sweet when I saw it at Doms. I always went with a stance wide like you would if you were doing squats with weight. I have slowly adjusted how many degree's turned out the boots are. I say get use to riding with the boots ducked out. Also put some ballast in that beast I know its got a ton. Watersports West guys are good guys and will match internet pricing on gear as well. Where you been riding at?

guma 07-09-2010 7:37 AM

Mark - Absolutely loving the Tige! Already has 50 hrs on it in 2 months. We have been going to Thonotosassa on the weekends. Get out early enough to beat the jetskis and we have been mostly surfing up until now.

We got the surf level ballast option, and I have already changed out the starboard side rear locker to an Enzo sac for surfing. Going 18mph and no ballast, with the TAPS plate adjusted I still had a rampy enough wake to start with. Once I get a little more comfortable in the air, (I was only landing about 1/2 my jumps), I will start adding some ballast for a larger wake.

Funny you mention the duck feet.... I am prior military, so standing at attention for so long, my feet naturally point out when I stand relaxed, and had already taken this into consideration when I mount the bindings.

Watersports West was where I went. Unfortunately they didn't have anymore Reliks in size 11. John still talked with me for about 1/2 hour giving me some great info on where to start.

kko13 07-09-2010 5:26 PM

Good job Johnny! I got bit by the bug the same way. I hope we can get a bunch of Tige owners ( and mark he is a god guy for a MC owner) together on the water one day ( after you get back). I am sure wwe can make a day of it! Keep charging that wake buddy!