WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   stereo cliping (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799231)

jonblarc7 07-23-2013 7:23 AM

stereo cliping

Might be a stupid question but the stock set up on my interior speakers is all six of them are running off the head unit. Would that cause the whole system to clip when you turn up the volume.

My problem is just installed my REV 10s and I tried tuning for a while last week until I ran out of time. So yesterday I go back to finish dialing them in(with out recharging the battery) and now instead of being able to turn the volume up to 30 (it goes to 35) it cuts out at 22 or 23 now.

I know it could be a bunch of things but I would think since its cutting out both amps its probably the head unit trying to push six speakers.

Would it help to disconnect the bow speakers for now until we close on our new house. Then I can buy a one more amp for the sub and run the interior off the kenwood that runs the sub now.

jonyb 07-23-2013 7:28 AM

When you say "it cuts out", do you mean that you lose power to the radio and amps?

First, you need to charge the battery. If it's not recharged and you run it too low, you'll take the chance at killing it and it won't hold a charge afterwards.
Before it "cuts out", do the lights on the head unit flicker, or go dim?

You really need to get an amp for the interior speakers. That head unit is about 7W at the most.

BradM07SS 07-23-2013 9:39 AM

Check your remote turn on wire. I bet thats the problem.

jonblarc7 07-23-2013 10:07 AM

You think it's loose

david_e_m 07-23-2013 10:36 AM

During that Supra/Moomba era it was common to see two 4-ohm speakers wired in parallel to each of two channels of the Kenwood HU. If that is the case on the four cockpit speakers, then this needs to be converted from parallel (2-ohm load) to series (8-ohm load). In theory you would get more power at 2-ohms. But at 2-ohms the BTL type HU amplifier is unstable, will fall flat on its face prematurely and particularly hard. In actuality you will play much louder at 8-ohms versus 2-ohms with the HU. The bow is typically a dedicated speaker per channel for a safe 4-ohm load and is not the problem.
Sounds like your issue is compounded by low voltage.
In any case, eventually you really need an external amplifier for the six in-boat speakers. As it stands now, In order to keep the HU from hard clipping first you have to inordinately gain up the tower amplifier which raises the noise floor. Plus, without an external amplifier you do not have full zone control. You can run six speakers with a two channel amplifier in a series/parallel configuration and have a fairly even distribution of power. Although, you are better off with a four channel amplifier for the in-boats.

David

BradM07SS 07-23-2013 11:05 AM

Was it cutting out before you add the rev 10's and amp?

When I hook up my eq mine was doing the same thing crank the volume up and the eq would cut off. The remote wire was loose where I had taped into the hu remote wire.

jonblarc7 07-23-2013 11:30 AM

It was but I thought back then that one amp was running 6 boat speakers 4 6.4 tower speakers and the sub. I knew the revs would need there own amp so I thought this would help distribute the power better in the boat. But during the install I realized all the boat speakers were run off the head unit so in a time crunch I wired the sub off the one amp and left the in boats hooked up to the head unit.

Could I go back and under power the kenwood sub and run it off the channel 3-4 like it was before and run the in boats of 1-2 like the tower was set up before.

As soon as we close on this house I will add an amp, I'm just trying to find something to help right now.

jonblarc7 07-25-2013 6:41 PM

It's official I charged the battery and unhook the sub and tower amp RCA's and turned up the volume with just the head unit pushing the in boats and it clipped at the same spot. So my short term fix is to move the sub back to channels 3-4 and run the four inboat In the middle of the boat off channels 1-2. Until I can get a sub amp and just use the 4 channel kenwood for the inboats

Iceberg 07-26-2013 6:14 AM

David nailed it! The load and distortion (stability) of the amp are critical. If you want a louder system, it is better to search out more efficient speakers combined with properly loaded amps.

david_e_m 07-26-2013 7:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonblarc7 (Post 1835741)
It's official I charged the battery and unhook the sub and tower amp RCA's and turned up the volume with just the head unit pushing the in boats and it clipped at the same spot. So my short term fix is to move the sub back to channels 3-4 and run the four inboat In the middle of the boat off channels 1-2. Until I can get a sub amp and just use the 4 channel kenwood for the inboats

Good call.
Another consideration is that you will never have good bass tonal construction until the midbass from the coaxials are in balance with the subwoofer. You derive most of the bass pitch accuracy from the upper harmonics which are in the realm of the coaxials. You'll never have balance with the coaxials driven from HU power. So the moment you add a subwoofer, you must power the in-boat coaxials with external amplification.

David

jonblarc7 07-26-2013 8:15 AM

Thanks for all the help guys, I've learn so much more about installing a stereo than I ever thought I would.