WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Lifting boat off trailer (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801696)

jamespjackson95 04-11-2014 4:28 AM

Lifting boat off trailer

So I need to lift my malibu sunsetter vlx off my trailer so I can go purchase an original mastercraft xstar that doesn't come with a trailer... Wheres the best places to place straps under the boat and am I safe to use some on the tie down strap area for the trailer.... All of the weight is in the back since it's a vdrive which I think will make it much more difficult. Thanks

jonblarc7 04-11-2014 5:41 AM

You got any dry stack's on the lakes you go to.

jamespjackson95 04-11-2014 5:55 AM

Nope not really... I'm near lake hartwell... I bought the malibu like only 2 weeks ago and really don't feel comfortable letting it float on the lake or even taking it out to the lake yet.... I was planning on strapping it up. And lifting the boat straight off the trailer and taking the trailer to buy a 1997 mastercraft xstar for 2500. Seems like a good enough deal for me to do this for haha

mark197 04-11-2014 7:02 AM

Don't feel comfortable putting you boat in the water but you want to hang it in the air???

fence_sence 04-11-2014 8:02 AM

You need to use the lifting eyes. That is what they are for.

jamespjackson95 04-11-2014 8:22 AM

Is it really safe to put all the weight on these? Will prolly only be hanging for about a week until I buy another trailer

boardman74 04-11-2014 8:54 AM

As long at they are lifting eyes. The bow eye and the stern tie down eyes are not lifting eyes!!! Lifting eyes would be on the top on the deck and are common on Nautiques, but not sure about on Malibu.

boardman74 04-11-2014 8:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a nautique..but see the eye in the middle of the top of the closed bow…thats a lifting eye. Your bow eye where you hook the winch strap IS NOT!!!

rdlangston13 04-11-2014 9:09 AM

Look at the manual, it will tell you where to place the straps and how to properly lift. On moombas the bow eye and the rear tie down eyes ARE the lifting eyes. You have to use a horizontal lifting lifting bar and special slings so you dont damage the gel coat however.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...ps58baca8a.png

fence_sence 04-11-2014 9:53 AM

^^^Yup. That's how you do it. I've lifted many a boat just like that, including mine. Lots of them twice the size of your Malibu. Do not put straps under the boat. That's just asking for trouble. If you need to leave it for a week, I would highly recommend setting it down. You will need to build some blocks for it though.

You could always call around to the dealers and see if they have a spare trailer out back that you could borrow or rent.

I've also taken boats off trailers using a floor jack and blocks. I would not recommend it though. It's nerve racking as hell getting it off and back on.

fence_sence 04-11-2014 9:55 AM

If you are worried about using them, call Malibu and find out what they suggest.

fence_sence 04-11-2014 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my boat when I replaced the bunks on the trailer.

cowwboy 04-11-2014 11:10 AM

Call some dealers. I think both of our tow boat dealers have special built lifts and cradles for them to sit in. I looked into doing it when I did some repairs to mine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

iShredSAN 04-11-2014 11:18 AM

Random thought but why not find/buy another trailer now (specifically for that boat) instead of doing it in a week and dealing with all of this?

srock 04-11-2014 12:02 PM

My 2001 Sunsetter LXI was purchased with a lifting ring option which ends up being the transom tie down hooks and a lifting ring at the front top. The front top lifting ring ties into the bow eye.

If you do not have the original paperwork I would consult the manufacturer of the proper lifting points for your specific model and year.

Why not take it to a local in-out service and have them put it on a rack.

srock 04-11-2014 12:06 PM

Thats a nice looking old 2001. I spend a lot of good times on those.

Giddyup 04-11-2014 4:34 PM

lifting supra with crane

1 Attachment(s)
we had to lift a buddys supra from his broken trailer on to my trailer used a cane worked great