WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Damaged under the boat questions????? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794774)

mac_attack 07-28-2012 9:38 PM

Damaged under the boat questions?????

Hello all,

I've been out of the game for awhile but today I was looking at buying a 2000 Xstar being sold by an individual. I looked at the boat a few days prior and made an offer on the boat pending a test ride.

Background
On the test ride (on a river) I was driving the boat down the center of the river and I hit something under the water with the Prop, shaft, guide, and rudder. We never saw anything and the depthfinder said the water was 27ft deep. The impact sounded pretty bad. Sounded like the boat hit something very solid. I ripped the throttle to idle and idled back knowing that it was best just to get it out of the water and see what's damaged.

The Damage
Prop=destroyed
Shaft=Unknown damage
Shaft Guide= Bent about 2-3 inches to the side.
Rudder/Hull=This is the tricky part. The rudder felt fine while still in the boat but after pulling the boat out of the water I noticed that the prop had somehow flexed and hit the back edge of the boat (if that makes since). I noticed one tiny (maybe 3/4 inch crack coming out of the fiberglass where the rudder attaches to the boat.

In the end I offered to pay the deductable but the owner said naw, how about we just split it. If it's fixed properly repaired I would still be interested in taking it home.

Questions

-Other than the obvious needed repairs visible on the outside, what are some other key areas of concern?

Tranny?
Engine?
Fiberglass integrity?
Etc?

mikeski 07-28-2012 10:44 PM

I would take it for a test drive after the repairs. If everything checked out smoothly I would not hesitate to buy the boat. Be keen to check for minor vibrations or unusual sounds.

07-28-2012 11:04 PM

I've had that happen to my tige, hit an under water rock that wasn't marked. It completely folded the prop and bent the rudder up into the hull. I couldn't steer or anything. Anyway, insurance fixed it at a local dealership and i Haven't had a problem since. And there isn't even any hint of there being an accident. If it's taken to a good shop, they will fix it good as new. I wouldn't worry about that.

markj 07-29-2012 12:11 AM

Ditto on what mikeski said.

mac_attack 07-29-2012 7:31 AM

Thanks for the response. I feel better about going on with the purchase, if it all checks out.

lifetimewarranty 07-29-2012 5:30 PM

The very first season with my last boat I hit a rock - basically tapped the rock with the prop. It barely bent over 2 prop blades which were easily repaired by a local shop. You'd never know it had been hit afterward.....but

The sound it made when I hit it...??? HOLY JEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

ord27 07-29-2012 6:51 PM

X2 on the terrible sound
I hit a stump a few years ago. It completely lifted the boat out of the water. Prop cut a hole in the bottom of the boat, bent shaft, rudder, prop, lots of fiberglass work....etc.
After the repair, you couldn't even tell it had ever happened (both in performance and looks)

you might want to have a hand in deciding which shop does the repair job.
I was lucky in that our local shop for Malibus is one of the most awarded in the country for service....Waterski America, Dallas
if you like the boat, go for it

mac_attack 07-29-2012 8:14 PM

Cliff, we did discuss the shops but I didn't know of a shop that does great work right off hand. If anyone knows a shop in Arkansas that does good work, has decent turn around time, and stands behind their work, please let me know.

ord27 07-29-2012 8:30 PM

call Texas Mastercraft in Fort Worth and ask them who they recommend in your area. They are a top notch outfit too.

JoLo_Si 07-30-2012 6:54 AM

Obviously stuff like this happens in boats. I agree with everyone that with a high quality repair you shouldn't have anything to worry about but deffinately check for vibrations when you get it back, that will tell most of the story.

DealsGapCobra 07-30-2012 8:01 AM

When I started reading this I was expecting it to go differently. I figure the question was going to be "He wants me to pay for repairs..." His offer to split the deductible is what I would expect from a stand-up man...kudos. I hope the repairs are as they should be and you buy the boat.