WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   black scorpion starts everytime on second turn of the key?? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782653)

typhoon 08-12-2010 9:10 PM

black scorpion starts everytime on second turn of the key??

Our black scorpion starts instantly every time on the second time you turn the key. this occurs even when it is warm. is this normal? some type of vapor lock? i change the plugs and rotor also.

Thanks

islander033 08-12-2010 9:30 PM

Do you turn the key to on, wait 5 seconds for fuel pump, pp and what ever else to initialize then try and start it?

clotus 08-12-2010 10:51 PM

mine takes a lil longer than a car to fire up, after waiting for the gauges to turn on. i always tell people to let it turn over longer than they would in their car. works every time.

ilikebeaverandboats 08-12-2010 10:56 PM

Yup, mine does that too. wait for all the beeps to stop and it seems to work better.

typhoon 08-17-2010 7:34 AM

it works a little better after the beaps but still about 90% of the time it is the second turn of the key.

malibumatt 08-17-2010 9:20 AM

ditto, second turn of the key after I let the gauges cycle. I was about to go put a new filter on it since I just got the boat but it sounds like this is how they all are right?

islander033 08-17-2010 9:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malibumatt (Post 1623393)
ditto, second turn of the key after I let the gauges cycle. I was about to go put a new filter on it since I just got the boat but it sounds like this is how they all are right?

Nope...something isn't right.

typhoon 08-17-2010 9:33 AM

i have replaced both fuel filters, cap, rotor, and all plugs and still the same. I just wanted to inquire before i take it in to the shop and spend the loot.

humboldt9 08-17-2010 12:46 PM

Knock on wood... Mine starts first turn every time.

typhoon 08-17-2010 3:10 PM

here is a scary thought...my friend just told me that his uncle's boat had the same issue and it ended up being a pin hole in the fuel line causing an air bubble.

bmartin 08-17-2010 3:19 PM

My two mercruiser engines (not scorpion) take a little longer to fire than others. I do wait to prime the fuel line before cranking the starter and never worried much about it since it ALWAYS starts. Usually one turn of the key, but may take 2-3 seconds with the starter cranking. I have heard this was more common with Mercruisers and would be interested to know why if anyone knows.

moman 08-24-2010 6:59 PM

Does the boat have an anti-syphon valve? The anti-syphon valve is a check valve that holds fuel in the line between the tank and fuel pump. Just a thought. If it is worn out and leaking back it could be the reason that fuel takes a moment to prime.

typhoon 08-24-2010 7:25 PM

is there such a thing in the gas line? if there is, that very well could be it. Very strange thing though is that i checked and both pumps are working. i could not get it to duplicate the problem either. the only difference this time is i primed it twice before i started the 45 minute session of testing. maybe the outside temp was not hot enough to cause vapor lock. Good thing is there were no leaks.