WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through November 29, 2007 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=524335)
-   -   Great advice from the pros!! (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512397)

steve_jones 10-18-2007 10:24 AM

While I would expect nothing less from legends like Murray and some others, there is some fantastic advice in the October issue of WBM on page 136. <BR> <BR>I always find it entertaining how guys will load the beegeezness out of their boat and can barely do anything, not to mention have horrible form and technique. (I have a rule on my boat that we don't load any weight until someone can actually jump hs and ts clean and with good form.) <BR> <BR>In short, this article is absolutely dead on and big props to Gordy, Shaun, and Kurt for taking time to comment. These guys are true professionals!! <BR> <BR>I would read and re-read Shaun's comments in the last paragraph until you truly understand what he is saying.

misfits1981 10-18-2007 10:41 AM

I agree. I think that is some of the best advise that can be given.

hyule 10-18-2007 10:53 AM

I concur. Everyone seems to be focused on loading the boat and getting the biggest wake they can out of a recreational boat. Meanwhile, these guys cant hit the wake toeside or ride switch well. <BR> <BR>Its almost like they have one trick, say a heelside stale, and they just want to take that one trick bigger and bigger w/o developing in other areas. <BR> <BR>All this time, the guys who are still learning the basics are hampered b/c the wake exceeds their ability and precludes them from practicing and developing confidence with edging and pop.

hyperlitenrd 10-18-2007 12:26 PM

Yeah when my ridding was starting to slip and I needed to go back to basics, taking the ballast out of the boat helped me get my ts w2w back.

wakerider111 10-18-2007 12:52 PM

Not only will this help riders to progress, but it will limit the amount of power tuned tsunami sized rollers, thus BETTER preserving water conditions for other riders (bigginer to pro) AND limiting the complaints from fishers, beach goers, and others who would complain about big wakes and erosion, threatening our way of enjoying life. <BR> <BR>Here, here! Cheers!!

richd 10-18-2007 5:59 PM

Yep that's all good but half the fun when you take out a beginner is seeing that "deer in the headlite" look the first time they approach your wake!

ralph 10-18-2007 7:21 PM

Pfffft. More is better, load them down!

hawk7 10-18-2007 7:41 PM

Yea starting out with a very little wake is very helpful, probobly never would have even TRYED a 2 wake jump H/S behind a loaded down xstar or malibu. and yea whe youre teaching new baorders the very first trick they should get is a surface 180 to get in a ton of switch riding, then as they progress to tell em to do everything they did reg do switch. I'm no expert, but when I went to that West coast camps, thats what they were tellin the little ones, and if they keep at it theyll deffinately be killin it one day.

sinkoumn 10-18-2007 8:00 PM

damnit, my subscription is over. Can someone scan it please?

nickdakoolkat 10-18-2007 11:06 PM

I see his point, and I fully understand the size of the wake won't make you a better rider and could possibly become a crutch...that being said its still fun as hell to charge a huge fricking wake and take stuff as big as possible even if it is only a indy grab, or a 180 ....

steve_jones 10-19-2007 8:31 AM

Rich, no lie. I remember the first time Sarah hit Buffy's wake a few years back. Twas hilarious. She literally dropped off of the wake. Her eyes were big as saucers!!

bmartin 10-19-2007 8:49 AM

I kind of have mixed feelings. I am often tempted to enforce "I have a rule on my boat that we don't load any weight until someone can actually jump hs and ts clean and with good form" but then figure who am I to tell someone they haven't earned the right to go bigger, even if it is only HS. <BR> <BR>I agree if you want to approach wakeboarding more as an athlete in a sport then start small and stick with fundamentals and progress accordingly. On the other hand if you are a rec rider who would be content to learn a couple of inverts and a few spins, whats so wrong with sacking it up and charging a decent wake. Part of the fun is 'Going Big'.

pfort 10-19-2007 9:53 AM

I like to compare it to snowboarding. Are you going to go out and hit a terrain park the first time you get on a board? Most people(key word) would hit some little bumps on a trail until they get comfortable with how to pop and land. Once you get that down start small and work your way up on the bigger hits in the park. You can hit the terrain park the first day, but you will have a sore ass for a week!