WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   in dash sonar (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797103)

baitkiller 02-27-2013 1:21 PM

in dash sonar

I am looking for a gauge face type bottom machine that reads both speed and temperature. i having trouble finding a unit that offers an through hull transducer option.
I there one i am missing? Thanks.

baitkiller 02-27-2013 1:24 PM

Never mind. Faria
thanks

boardman74 02-27-2013 1:42 PM

If you want speed it has to have a paddle wheel and will have to be outside the hull. If you want temp or speed you have to be outside. Only the depth function(sonar) can shoot a beam thru the glass. FYI speed on depth finders is not accurate.

I have also never seen a gauge face type that has speed. Just the bigger graph/ hummingbird style.

baitkiller 02-27-2013 1:53 PM

The whole post was a screw up. All I actually wanted was depth and temp but my fingers typed speed and my eyeballs never noticed.
I did just order an Elcheepo Hawkeye unit for 120 clams off Amazon that does depth and temp. We will see how it works. I wanted a nice Lowrance unit but they dont offer a through hull for the LST3800. I cant bring myself to screw a ducer onto the transom of my Nautique. I guess Ill put a year on the Hawkeye and report my findings back next winter..

boardman74 02-27-2013 2:32 PM

If you are mounting the transducer inside the hull(shooting thru) the temp function will not work. You have to have the bolt thru transducer to get the temp function(like a perfect pass transducer) as it has to be in the water. I'd rather hang it off the back then drill that big hole in the bottom of the hull!

baitkiller 02-27-2013 2:39 PM

Thanks.

tx_foilhead 02-27-2013 4:02 PM

Faria makes a nice one, the temp sensors have to be mounted in different locations from the transducer which is siliconed in. I put my air temp in air vent in front of the windshield and the water temp replaced the unused speedo hardware was replaced with the PP.

NotSure123 02-27-2013 5:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tx_foilhead (Post 1809004)
Faria makes a nice one, the temp sensors have to be mounted in different locations from the transducer which is siliconed in. I put my air temp in air vent in front of the windshield and the water temp replaced the unused speedo hardware was replaced with the PP.

I was looking at that one as well, Is there any other place to mount the temp sensor aside from the transom? I don't want to drill a hole and have that ugly line back there. I was thinking of mounting it inside the raw water intake grate or somewhere in that hose before the engine? Not sure how it would stay in there though...most likely be a ghetto setup as well...

boardman74 02-27-2013 6:20 PM

I suppose you could mount it in there. But you have to seal it in there somehow or you will have a leak....inside the boat!

NotSure123 02-28-2013 8:31 PM

Ya...when I finally get to bring it out to see the light of day again I'll figure something out....I'm determined not to drill a hole back there!