WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Best Lake/Waterway in California (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785372)

wakeripper 01-07-2011 10:02 AM

Best Lake/Waterway in California

I am in the planning stages of an epic wake adventure this June/July....probably 2 week trip from SD/Mex to Lake Shasta. I am planning on hopscotching from lake to lake doing some riding/photos....So lets hear it, what are the best places to ride?

depswa 01-07-2011 10:16 AM

Buena Vista (Bakersfield), Pine Flat (near Fresno), Don Pedro, New Melones, DELTA, Sacramento River...and Shasta! With the exception of the Delta and Shasta...Shasta and the Delta are your best bets on the weekends, but during the week, all of these can be epic! Sounds like a fun trip! Take lots of pics!!!

jps912 01-07-2011 10:18 AM

Bullards bar.

Riteride 01-07-2011 10:54 AM

I second Bullards Bar!! Also Collins Lake is nice to ride!!

guido 01-07-2011 10:55 AM

Dan covered most of my favorites. Sounds like a blast.

wakeripper 01-07-2011 11:09 AM

I can assure you that this will turn into a Wakeworld article/ biggest Rider Link ever...hahaha

As the dates, logistics, lakes and crew get sorted out i will be calling on the members of Wakeworld for riders, places to stay...and basically the local knowledge

This could really turn into one of those things you talk about for years

BIZZWSR 01-07-2011 11:14 AM

Randy,

I spent a whole summer traveling the country and most of california doing the Liquid Force Trip Across America. Shasta Lake is probably the best lake anywhere. Camp Far West is sweet in its own little way. Bullards Bar is nice. Lake Oroville is like a mini Shasta. There are also a lot of sweet little secret lakes hidden in the hills.

Riteride 01-07-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeripper (Post 1653137)
I can assure you that this will turn into a Wakeworld article/ biggest Rider Link ever...hahaha

As the dates, logistics, lakes and crew get sorted out i will be calling on the members of Wakeworld for riders, places to stay...and basically the local knowledge

This could really turn into one of those things you talk about for years

When you are going to be close to the Sacramento area, give us a call @ Star One Wake/Menace Watersorts we would love to ride with yall!!!

thescott 01-07-2011 1:09 PM

Lake - Trinity - not too far from Shasta. Bullard's is awesome - I'm also a big fan of Don Pedro in the spring and fall.
Waterway - DELTA

Walt 01-07-2011 5:53 PM

Randy,
Check your PM.

dakid 01-07-2011 6:37 PM

2 best lakes in cali....lake elsinore and castaic lake.

dakid 01-07-2011 6:38 PM

buena vista....right up there w/ elsi and castaic!

jonori 01-11-2011 10:27 PM

Come on Joe, Castaic isn't so bad. I'm sure there are worse. Like the folks in SD. Not sure what is available now a days since San V was closed.

depswa 01-12-2011 9:41 AM

Joe...not a fan of Buena Vista? During the week it can be epic! Check it! Only boat on the water!
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/997...3453295100.jpg

As for Elsinore...not a huge fan...Only rode a couple times...water looked like antifreeze and fish were literally trying to jump out of the water for oxygen or something...and it smelled funky!

Castaic is normally windy, but if there is a marine layer, it can be great...it is very deep, so the wakes get big compared to the shallower places!

guido 01-12-2011 10:37 AM

BV can the be the best or the worst. That's just the way it is. During the week it's epic.

Randy... Hit us up when you get close to the Delta. CIE crew is always down to ride.

Shooter 01-12-2011 10:52 AM

Elsinore sucks, but it will be your best option in So Cal besides Canyon. Canyon is private so you wont be able to launch, but I'm sure a pull can be arranged. PM me when your in town.

stoked_32 01-12-2011 10:54 AM

What did I tell you about hating on our Home Joe?! God Help you Umali, God Help you...

I do agree to a certain extent though, BV is nothing epic other than water conditions during the winter. It's shallow, short, and smells like cow poo. Castaic is just another lake IMO except its windy all year round.

One place I would definately check out mid-week (NOT WEEKENDS) that is one of the most unique places in the country is Marine Stadium, Long Beach. If I was doing a wake tour of California, the stadium is a must see. Plus taking your boat around Naples island and through the marina is fun to do regardless if you're riding. Another notable thing is that it was home of the wake X Games for a bit.

There's a great photo of it on the home page here
http://www.wakexperience.com/

stephan 01-12-2011 1:00 PM

If headed up the 101, Lake Nacimiento is always a good bet. Some former Canyon regulars live/ride there year round. Besides the infamous "Nac Rot" all is good in Central Cal.

depswa 01-12-2011 4:34 PM

Naci is great, but the 101 would be a LONG drive to shasta! lol!

What is "Nac Rot?" lol

hillbilly 01-12-2011 5:18 PM

Sac river around and above Sacramento.

I would drive right past Collins and just make the 30 minute trek up to Bullards....Waaaay better lake IMO.

But around Sac there really is no reason to hit a lake around that time...The river is good 90 % of the time.

Mid week early Berryessa is alright.

And a hidden little gem Stony Gorge outside of Willows.

shawndoggy 01-12-2011 5:47 PM

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_tqxy65W25ww/TK...10-02-2010.jpg

wakeripper 01-13-2011 2:08 PM

Well i am going to get an old fashioned map out and start planning the trip then probably go into google maps and lay it out for all to see.

II suppose i will get a blog going or something like that when it all gets started. Well before that happens you will all know about it as I would obviously like to include as many WW'rs as possible (that and hopefully mooch a place to sleep and a chase boat or pull....still figuring out the boat logistics....it would be obviously cheaper to just drive without a boat behind the vehicle)

I've been to BV befor at it's alright, Beryessa is on my to do list as well as the Sac River, Bullards and of course The Delta

Thanks for all the help and input guys!!!!!

slipknot 01-14-2011 11:36 AM

what about lovely Lake Martinez, I hear there are some great partiers/riders out there:D

wakeripper 01-18-2011 11:42 AM

I have added most of the potential places to stop at on the way. A few are pretty much set in stone...Delta, Pillsbury, Nacimiento, Shasta... I have pretty much nailed it down to 9 days total leave Friday night for spot #1 drive back from Shasta on Sunday....unless i can score some more time off from the real job... Here is the map....

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...C19.665527&z=6

anyone know of a good GPS tracking software to help make this a little more interactive in this in demand world

jarrod 01-18-2011 12:13 PM

1. Delta for endless, great water conditions. You can eat and drink on the water at the local spots.
2. Bullards for unique scenery (as seen above)
3. Pillsbury (never been but the pictures I've seen make we want to go.)

Personally, I don't think there is anything special about Melones, or Don Pedro. They're lakes. You can ride there (on the weekdays at least). But they are both pretty much the same with dry hillsides, tons of people, and camping far from the water. Don't get me wrong, I grew up on both of those lakes as a wakeboarder, but there is nothing really speacial about them.

hillbilly 01-18-2011 12:54 PM

I just hope you don't get hung up at one place too long !

I've also seen pic's of Pillsbury and those guy's got a gem up there ! Only down side to it is it's way off the beaten path so give yourself extra time.

brianmiller 01-18-2011 2:41 PM

I agree with J-Rod. Oroville, Don Pedro, New Melones are all the same in my book. How about Lake Clementine in Auburn? That has to be on the list over the previously mentioned 3.

wakeripper 01-18-2011 3:28 PM

Thanks for the input J-Rod....furthermore i was trying to figure out if i could bring my bike with me to get some moto in with you guys....don't think it will happen

I have updated the map in order of potential locations for stops the last 4 are maybes....

kvoman 01-20-2011 8:38 AM

I'd reconsider dipping the boat in various lakes along the way since you have to pass mussel inspection at some lakes and will not be allowed to be in that lake if your boat is wet.

Before you get to Shasta, I think just past Redding, they will also inspect your boat. You must have a certificate of compliance (self certified) that your boat has not been in any body of water for xx number of days, and your boat is dry, etc. You can print this form out on the Lake Shasta website.

That mussel inspection, no matter how inconvenienced it may be, is the only thing keeping the quagga and zebra mussels out of the lakes in Norhern CA. Central CA lakes have been infested and some Southern CA lakes have also been infested. When a lake is infested with these mussels, they clog up the intake system of the pumps, distribution lines, etc. and you could never get rid of them. The cost to clean and maintain these infested lakes will rise considerably and the cost will eventually be pass on to the general public.

jarrod 01-20-2011 10:35 AM

Trying to moto and wake on teh same trips alwasy sounds like a good idea, but it just requires too much stuff. With that said, their are certainly some good areas where you could easily do both.

PictureMeRollin 01-20-2011 11:31 AM

Just wondering, whats so special about Pillsbury Lake?

jarrod 01-20-2011 12:51 PM

high mountain scenerey. Lot of trees. Remote location with dirt road access keeps the crowds out. I believe you have you tow the boat through a lot of dirt.

motogod77 01-20-2011 1:58 PM

There is nothing special at all about Pillsbury - its a myth!

About 20 miles of off-road style dirt road - its horrible stay back - you'll ruin your boat!

:cool:

Walt 01-20-2011 2:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrod (Post 1655805)
Trying to moto and wake on teh same trips alwasy sounds like a good idea, but it just requires too much stuff. With that said, their are certainly some good areas where you could easily do both.

You can do both @ Pillsbury.

PictureMeRollin 01-20-2011 3:02 PM

Can you shorline camp at Pillsbury?

Walt 01-20-2011 3:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PictureMeRollin (Post 1655894)
Can you shorline camp at Pillsbury?

Colin,
Yes you can. You can boat camp on the Eel river side of the lake but you have to bring in your own water and there's no toilet (straight up roughing it). There are a few water front camp sites at the Fuller Grove camp ground. There are a few water side sites at LPR too. LPR is in the process of remodeling now but it's still open. Plenty of black bears in the area so keep that in mind if you camp there.

http://www.lprandm.com/

PictureMeRollin 01-20-2011 4:34 PM

Thanks for all the info, I gotta check this place out over the summer!

hillbilly 01-21-2011 9:07 AM

Is Clementine going to open this year ? I thought budget cuts were closing it down. I thought last year was the last year for use?

Hope not it is a cool little lake, Crazy to get down to it but once there sweeeet !

wakeripper 01-24-2011 11:43 AM

kvoman....thanks for that input....i totally forgot about the mussel thing....granted i've heard about it but it isn't so rampant down here in So Cal.....you may have helped make my decision as far as the boat goes....