WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   Quick! Board recommendation needed! (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794379)

1fasdzl 07-09-2012 12:59 PM

Quick! Board recommendation needed!

Looking for a good beginner board that hopefully will not be outgrown too quickly. I searched and almost all posts were regarding skim style boards. I am looking for a SURF style board.

Crew will be 150-200lbs, 5'6"- 6' peeps. Mainly on the small end of that range...

I have found a good deal on 2 boards locally:

Inland Surfer James Walker Pro

Walker Projects full custom 4' 10"

Is either one good for what I'm looking for? I'm trying to keep the price under $500...

Thanks guys!!!

drnate 07-09-2012 1:16 PM

Those are both excellent boards, but definately not "beginner". You could grow into them though. I'm sure I sound like a broken record to some people on here, but for quality inexpensive boards I love Triple X. We have two of them. They are inexpensive and you can't go wrong. And with changing out fins, can take you from beginner to advanced just by changing the setup. Look at the Nitro, it's only like $400 new.

slimjim44 07-09-2012 2:32 PM

If you can get good deals on those boards, those are both awesome true surf style boards. Assumming you have a decent wake, the walker project will allow the heavist riders and should be able to handle 200lbs. The james walker model might be a little small for 200lbs unless you have a really nice wake. Like NL said above, those are advanced boards, but certainly easy to grow in to. Some fins changes could make it easier for beginners.

1fasdzl 07-09-2012 2:52 PM

If they are too advanced, I should pass right? I don't want to be in over my head...
What kind of find would make it more for a beginner?

dennish 07-09-2012 5:00 PM

Sounds like the Walker board is an F18 which is intermediate to advanced. Should work fine for the weight range.

slimjim44 07-09-2012 6:05 PM

Dennis is a Walker Project guru. I personally would stay away from a beginner board because it is really easy to outgrow them then you will kick yourself and wish you had a more advanced board.

Kingsriver 07-09-2012 9:14 PM

I bought a beginner board and I was ready for a better board in 2 weeks. I would find a board you could grow into because surfing is very easy to get up and ride. Learning all the tricks and tossing the rope is the challenge. Good luck

1fasdzl 07-09-2012 9:21 PM

Well, it looks like I'm picking up the Walker Project board tomorrow. I'm a little hesitant but am hoping you can give me pointers on making it a beginner lard to start. Is this mainly a function if the fins? How do they affect the ride and performance?

Squid 07-09-2012 10:27 PM

awesome board...hope you like it.

slimjim44 07-10-2012 1:32 PM

The fins will effect how fast and how loose the board feels. Try it out with the fins it has, if it feels too squirly then you could look into getting some longer fins. Dennish and Surfdad would be the best resources to ask about fins.

silverlude 07-12-2012 7:37 AM

There is alot of good video on YouTube and Vimeo you can check out as well on any of the boards and some good beginner vids as well, helped us alot and sped up our learning curve ect... enjoy,keep it fun !