WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   suggestions for warm travel destination for xmas (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784973)

pesos 12-01-2010 3:09 PM

suggestions for warm travel destination for xmas

Looking at possibly doing christmas out of town. We were going to just do Hawaii but airfare is pretty steep so thinking about other options. Young couple no kids. Where have you been that you enjoyed?

acurtis_ttu 12-02-2010 6:50 AM

I really liek these hotels in mexico...cheap, short flights, great food, couples only.

http://www.karismahotels.com/

brettw 12-02-2010 7:55 AM

Cabo. The new Casa Dorada right on Medano beach by 'The Office'. Best location in the city in my opinion.

migs 12-02-2010 7:58 AM

Cabo - spent xmas there last year - NICE & HOT!

wakesetter_WW 12-02-2010 8:14 AM

Cancun is always a great place to visit. I prefer the all inclusive resorts. No hassle with exchanging or carrying money. Never been to Cabo but sounds like a great place. Hawaii is a fun place but a little over price IMO. I like getting out of the states

wakereviews 12-02-2010 8:16 AM

Grand Velas in Riviera Maya, Mexico was pretty dope last year. We had the whole place almost to ourselves.

bendow 12-02-2010 8:22 AM

Wes, I'm from Hawaii. I don't know how adventurous you and your girl are, but if you change your mind on Hawaii let me know and I'll tell my Dad to take you up the Stairway to heaven if you're interested. Stairway to Heaven is one of the most amazing things you can do on this planet. It's closed to the public, but we're from the town where the stairs are. My dad is friends with the security guard at the bottom, and he usually climbs the stairs a few times a week for exercise. He loves taking people up who have never been, and certainly wouldn't mind taking you and your girl if you decide on Hawaii.
http://www.gadling.com/2010/03/21/oa...-haiku-stairs/

http://media2.px.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/...G5sTEnAT01Bg/l

12-02-2010 9:10 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I was just in Cabo last week and loved it. We stayed at the Pacifica which in on Pacific ocean side so there was no vendors on the beach and it was a lot more low key than the Sea of Cortez side. Only drawback was we couldn't swim in the ocean. We would take the free shuttle into town to hit up all the dinner spots and night life.

pesos 12-02-2010 12:03 PM

Thanks guys - Cancun airfare is harsh right now too probably because of proximity to BPM. Ben I'm on Oahu a couple times a year and would love to take you up on that offer next time I head out - looks amazing.

Brett Casa Dorada is looking like a good option - what did you do foodwise?

brettw 12-02-2010 2:22 PM

Wes, there's another recent Mexico/Cabo thread in the past few months with a bunch of restaurant recommendations. We took a private shuttle from the airport and stopped at Costco on the way to the hotel and loaded up on booze, water, fruit, yogurt, salami, etc. and and snack type items to take care of breakfasts and some lunches. We ate at a variety of places for Dinner, but try finding that other thread to see all the suggestions.

Also, double-check Costco for package deals. Last time I checked there were some good one, but from San Diego. Staying on Medano beach is nice with the restaurants there and being right on the main swimmable beach. it's nice to be able to go from your hotel to the pool, to the beach and then back again within walking distance. We stayed at Villa Del Arco, which is a little further down the beach but a nice hotel with great rooms. Villa Del Estancia is one of their sister hotels right next door, and is just as nice. That Casa Dorada would be my choice next time, though.

wakeboardertj 12-02-2010 3:23 PM

Benjamin, those stairs are amazing! My mom grew up in Manoa valley has always wanted to take me back to the stairs, next time I'm on the island would you be able to get passed the guard?? Hopefully this summer I'll be back.

bendow 12-03-2010 5:22 AM

Wes/Taylor, absolutely. My dad would take you up for sure. He enjoys taking people up who have never been before, and I think he gets bored doing it by himself. Anyway, just shoot me an email if either of you are on the island and want to go up. benjdow@yahoo.com

guido 12-03-2010 10:50 AM

Viva la Mexico.... Ha, ha, ha.

Wes, track down the thread from a few weeks back. We pretty much covered all the food spots. I think I've been 10 times, so if you've got any question, hit me up. The deals are amazing right now. Probably a bit more expensive for the holidays, but it's amazing what's out there.

AJ hit it... Stay on the pacific side and it's quiet, but you can't really get into the ocean. Stay at Casa Dorada and you'll be right on the busiest beach in Cabo, but it's got some really great bars/restaraunts. The water in by the marina is warm/calm. Stay in the Corridor (between San Jose and Cabo San Lucas) and you'll have a mix of both. There are some really killer resorts in the corridor if you're looking for a lower key trip. Hacienda Del Mar is where we stay every year and love it. It's never disappointed for beach, people watching, bars, or dining. Swimming in the ocean there is great if you're not afraid of getting out past some waves. Cool spot.

Benjamin... Man, that looks amazing. I want to go there just to hit the stairs.

tripsw 12-04-2010 8:32 AM

Costa Rica! Surfing, wakeboardig, kitesurfing, whitewater rafting, zipline through the treetops, stunning beaches, beautiful nature, beautiful women... And depending on where you are possibly (very) affordable flights.

jinxton 12-06-2010 2:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Wes I am in Costa Rica as I type this sitting at a bar watching the surf and the sun start to set. I am in Playa Tamarindo, Guanacastle area, northwest corner of the country. All I can say it is beautiful. About 80-85 degrees. Light rain at night and sun all day.

According to some of the locals I've been hanging out with this area is a little expensive. Just north is Playa Flamingo and they say it is equally as nice and a bit cheaper. I got a great deal on my hotel at Hotels.com. Plane ticket I cashed in miles and flew for cheap.

Surf was great today, at least for me being a beginner. Deep sea fishing tomorrow and then walking around the National Forrest area on Wednesday before I leave.

Heres a couple pictues of the beach at the resort.