WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Impeller change? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799792)

fman 09-01-2013 7:52 AM

Impeller change?

I have 125 hours on my impeller this season, we have another month of weather available... probably 10 more hours of use. Should I swap out a new impeller now or just wait until spring? I know Indmar recommends every 100 hours. I always install a new one every spring.

boardman74 09-01-2013 8:15 AM

I think you should be fine waiting till spring as long as the boat is cooling and temp is running where it usually does.

Bumpass1 09-01-2013 5:55 PM

I would just wait on it till spring if I were Travis.

robertstone9 09-01-2013 7:05 PM

spring
i would already have my replacement in the boat (spare)

fman 09-01-2013 9:56 PM

I always do an annual impeller change in the spring regardless of hours, I just realized yesterday that the Indmar manual is stating every 100 hours of use. I typically run 120-140 hours a season and never have had any impeller failures with annual replacement. The boat is running great,160-165 degrees. Thanks for the feedback, I will just leave it be until next spring.

rallyart 09-01-2013 10:33 PM

I have a lot more than 135 hours on my impeller. Now, it sits in the water for a couple months and then is dry for ten months and the water is fairly soft. Perhaps that helps mine last as it seldom has to start up when dry. Anyway I would not worry but I would watch the temperature gauge for any indication of a problem starting.

Pad1Tai 09-02-2013 6:42 AM

Just wait.... Impellers fail from lack of use... When the bent over blade sits in that cavity for weeks without rotation... Your good... I put on close to 200 hours a year and change mine once a year..

fman 09-02-2013 1:14 PM

^^^ That's what I was thinking, its not really hour based, more of time duration sitting in the impeller housing. You figure most people average 40-50 hours a year on there boats. Every two season that would be close to 100 hours of use. My dealer recommends an impeller change every other year, for the $35 part I figure for peace of mind it is cheap insurance to just put a new one in. I know there are some people who put a new impeller in during winterization, my thought is it sits in the housing all winter squished down, possibly weakening it, this is the reason I do it in the spring. Knock on wood, five years of boat ownership and never have had one impeller fail.

jpaul 09-02-2013 2:54 PM

Leave it...i do mine every two years, almost 200 hrs worth but i also always keep a back up and tools on the boat.

Ski_Antique 09-02-2013 3:08 PM

You can always pull the impeller and take a look at it. On inboards, it's usually three bolts and it's out. Check for wear. If it looks a little deformed that's ok, but if there are cracks, big wear marks, or chunks missing, you'll need another one if you want piece of mind for any period of time. Otherwise, change it out in the spring right before you hit the lake.

WheelerWake 09-02-2013 7:37 PM

I'm not suggesting anyone do this, but when I bought my Sunsetter, it was17 years old with 350 hrs. You could tell the impeller had never been replaced because the bolts on the housing were all still covered with the original paint.