WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through June 17, 2007 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=464977)
-   -   Underwater Obstructions Where to Avoid on the Delt (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457618)

murphie07 06-04-2007 10:32 AM

I have heard the whole Delta has underwater obstructions to avoid. My questions is where are the worse places and where are the places that have the least. Franks Track seem to be the worst. What about up past Rio Vista? Down by Lazy M is that area OK? <BR> <BR>I like keeping fins, props on the boat and not having them ripped off by hitting this stuff. Just want to be informed <BR> <BR>Thanks

leaks 06-04-2007 10:41 AM

There's a lot of grass in Franks Tract, and at low tide, it gets pretty shallow in some ares. I've even heard of parts of machinery (tractors etc.) sticking up through the surface, although I've never seen that myself. <BR>Old river is usually pretty clear, except for the occasional LOG floating just beneath the surface. We were out yesterday, and there was a lot of floating reeds from the high tide, but seemed pretty clear of anything that would do any damage.

guido 06-04-2007 10:43 AM

The delta is definitely seasonal. Some times it's bad with stuff floating down river, other times the debris is minimal. Lazy M isn't the best. It's shallow in the corners. Old River is OK. Frank's tract... use your depth finder out there. We were cruising last weekend when the water went from 20' to 2' in about 5 seconds. It's always kind of a gamble. I know a lot of experienced boaters that've hit a lot of submerged items. I've only bent 1 prop in 5 years on the delta (knock on wood)... Of course, I bent it in a spot that I've driven a hundred times. You just never know what's under the water.

westsiderippa 06-04-2007 10:52 AM

make sure to avoid corners that are tight when tides are low. sand bars form up like in a river. for example stay to the right center when you leave union point or you will be high and dry waiting for the tide to rise. when in doubt drive slower and stay in the middle

boss210 06-04-2007 11:03 AM

how is a depth finder going to help you when you are moving. I keep seeing posts of "use your depth finder" come on guys by the time it reeds to shallow to be in when your going 22mph or more your done. The best thing to do in the delta is stay in the center. If there is a island in the middle of the slough dont cross it at the open points, that island is the old levy. Use your head and get a map. the shallow parts are marked.

bftskir 06-04-2007 11:11 AM

the depth finder helps it does not solve, if you boat in unfamilar waters...you will hit something sooner or later. <BR>we use the depth finder mostly when exploring new waters, and since the delta is murky you cannot see 2 feet through it it helps to know is 2 feet or 22 feet deep just by looking at a digital gauge...makes life ALOT more relaxing and will save you from hitting bottom for 100 bucks? don't leave home without one.