WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trick Tips (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3184)
-   -   help on grabbing my backroll (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170508)

luchog 05-15-2004 4:06 PM

Well, I have finally dominated the backroll, now I was looking to add a grab to it, I'd really like to do a tail grab backroll, any tips to it? <BR>or are any other grabs easier on it? <BR>I still cant land it revert, but i know i will!! <BR>

deepstructure 05-15-2004 5:42 PM

i've been wanting to grab the backroll as well. i would assume indy is simplest, but other than ruck's switch indy mobe i've never seen anyone grab indy on a backroll. are there any vids with a indy backroll in them?

luchog 05-15-2004 6:12 PM

the only grabbed backroll i have seen is the one from murray's detention video, he nose grabs it.

deepstructure 05-15-2004 6:34 PM

ya i have that. and higher learning has a method backroll in it. but that's about all i've seen. funny, even tho they're not taking it to revert, front-hand grabs seem to be the norm. <BR> <BR>and now that i think of it, is ruck's switch mobe mute or indy? mute actually makes more sense...

luchog 05-16-2004 12:45 AM

i honestly dont have a clue about that. <BR>About the backroll, I though on trying to grab it nose with the front hand, but I know I'll go revert and i still cannot land it that way.

tparider 05-16-2004 9:26 AM

Yeah, Higher education and Detention have nose grabbed, method, and I think HE has an indy backroll... Seems like it would be tough to land regular with your right hand on the handle after a left hand grab.

canaday 05-17-2004 8:18 AM

I think in higher education their was a crail backroll or a nuclear one. Learn handle position for grabbing with the front hand. Just because you let go with the front hand doesn't mean you should go to revert. It's where you bring your hand after you let go with the front hand that makes the difference. Other than that you've really got to bend your front leg after you come up off the wake and get the grab early.

luchog 05-17-2004 11:10 AM

where should i put the handle for not going revert? and what about the tail grab backroll, any hints on that?

canaday 05-17-2004 2:14 PM

For not going to revert the handle should stay at your front hip, I guess kind of in front of your front leg's quad muscle. I think you are better off going for indy or a nose grab backroll for your first grab on the roll. I have no idea on how to do a tail grab backroll, sorry.

canaday 05-17-2004 2:14 PM

Sorry, thinking about crail or nuclear I think that was TS

kristian 05-20-2004 8:55 AM

Stailfish grab is pretty easy on a backroll, try that.

craiger 05-20-2004 1:18 PM

I read a great tip on grabbing backrolls that I am going to try out this weekend.. (for a HS roll to revert).. <BR> <BR>When throwing the roll, think about throwing the board more towards the boat when you come off the wake. That way you don't have to reach as far back to grab it. Makes sense...

wakestar8878 05-20-2004 2:37 PM

I've also been working on this. I was talking to Damien Klass and he told me its easiest to grab it method. When I try I end up spinning to revert or even further. I don't know.

05-21-2004 12:25 AM

when i started to learn these i first learned to roll with just one hand on the rope(once i started the trick i removed my hand) <BR>melan works easiest for me. keep the handle in tight and dont go for the grab to early. you can bend your knees a little to make the grab a little easier and it looks a little different. ive tried a nose grab several times too, unsuccessfully, i go for the grab way early and it slows the rotation way down. it have seen it a bunch on videos and they dont grab the board until they are totally inverted(i havent tried it yet since seeing this). good luck its pretty easy to do.

luchog 05-21-2004 6:56 AM

sorry but i need to throw this one again... what is it that you have to do for not going to revert when letting go your front hand?? If i put the handle upon my front leg, woulnt that make the boat pull stronger thus making me revert easier??

05-21-2004 8:13 AM

you wont automatically throw this to revert. granted you can spin to revert a bit easier however after you let go of the board its pretty easy to spot your landing. dont pull the handle to your front leg. its not needed. <BR>try it first w/o grabbing the board(just removing your leading hand)

brhanley 06-04-2004 4:15 PM

I've seen Arun Frances (Delta rider) do indy backrolls. Those work well with mexi-style rolls. I think I've seen him do indy rolls to blind (also mexi). I think there's footage of Byerly doing indy rolls to blind in the Tahoe footage of Skurfs Up (also mexi). Grabbing indy is pretty cool looking b/c you're all balled up.

stephan 06-09-2004 7:49 PM

I do a nose/method roll. It wants to pull you to revert but all you have to do is put the handle where your lead hand would be. basically bring it across your body. They are fun, check my profile pic for an example.

dococ 06-11-2004 12:09 PM

I thought I recalled that Igor threw one or two big indy HS BR off the DU in Mayday, but I haven't watched it in a while so I could be wrong. But maybe take a scan trough Igor's section. He only does 2 or 3 inverted moves in that vid, and i'm pretty sure one is an indy BR. <BR>I've tried some grabbing Melan, but I always over-rotate. Normally my rolls are fairly laid-out, which allows me to control the rotation, but in tucking to get the grab, I lose that control, flip faster, and over-rotate. <BR>Stack, I'd be stoked to work on them with you at Shasta, if you haven't already figured it out by then. Myself, I haven't been getting out too much, so looking forward to that trip!

dococ 06-11-2004 12:28 PM

I was wrong. I just looked at Igor's section and he grabs it Mute, not Indy, but still sweet looking! <BR>Anyway, I know they can be done Indy. I used to ride with a guy in ATL, intermediate level rider at best. Essentially the only money trick he had at that time was a HS back roll - no other inverts and no 3s. But he learned to grab it indy and it looked very impressive, to his credit!

brhanley 06-14-2004 11:38 AM

I'm also pretty sure that Byerly does a switch indy roll in Hit It. Melissa Marquadt also does an indy roll in Outkast. I think I've also seen Leslie Kent do them (as well as stale backrolls). But, melan/method/nose backrolls seem more common.