WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   slider project questions (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794650)

bboozer 07-22-2012 3:07 PM

slider project questions

1 Attachment(s)
I have plans for a floating 12" corrogated pipe slider project, but I have a few questions for those that have some experience with these. I have two pieces that total about 16' and i have a plan to attach them in the middle and seal the joint and the ends. Then I was thinking that i would just put and anchor on each end. This would allow the pipe to rotate, would that matter? Also, I was planning on using my old 08 Murray board to slide it, but it has molded in fins and i am wondering if that wouldn't cause it to hang up on the corrogated areas and cause a nasty fall. Since I have no experience with hitting sliders, I am just looking for advise and/or suggestions.

07-22-2012 8:23 PM

I've thought about doing a similar slider to yours. Having said that, if I were in your shoes, I would put the 2 pieces together and run a piece of 1.5 to 2 inch pvc pipe through the middle. Then I would pour a medium to high density pour foam through the entire middle to float it. Then run a rope/chain/cable through your pvc pipe in the middle and anchor both ends. The whole unit would float and be easily removable. Just my .02c

petrie141 07-23-2012 7:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bboozer (Post 1769990)
Also, I was planning on using my old 08 Murray board to slide it, but it has molded in fins and i am wondering if that wouldn't cause it to hang up on the corrogated areas and cause a nasty fall.

If your board is going to be a slider board that's going to get beaten up, you might want to shave down the molded fins a little. I've never seen a fin catch and cause someone to instantly slam but I have caught my molded fins (older hyperlite premiere) on a slider a few times. They basically just stuck and came loose real fast which threw me off balance. That didn't happen on a corrugated pipe but I assume the same type of thing would happen on one.

As far as mounting the pipe, the one thing I would make sure of is that you can both set it up and remove it quickly. Our game wardens will stop you in a heart beat if they see a slider being built. Wear a CGA vest and a helmet.

wakeviolater 07-23-2012 12:08 PM

16' is too short (maybe ok for your first rail on a wakeskate). try to add another 8', at least.

being only 12" diameter will make this move up and down a ton when you jump on it. just giving you a heads up.

bboozer 07-23-2012 4:35 PM

Thanks for the advice, I always wear a CGA vest and i am not planning on any slide activities without a helmet..... Hell my wife might not let me hit it anyway LOL...... I had read that it really needs to be at least 20', but I was working on a commercial construction project, and the grading contractor had this pipe left over and he said I could have it ....and since the price (free) was right I figured what the hell.... it will definitely have to be temporary and we could tow it behind the boat and anchor it and try it a few times then take it back to the dock.... if we like it then I might try for something bigger and longer or I could just add a section to this one.

wakeviolater 07-24-2012 11:45 AM

you could always cut them in half and double the length, but you'll have to attach it to something (maybe a 2"x12"?)...just thinking...

benjaminp 07-24-2012 5:32 PM

I'm not entirely sure a piece of round corrugated pipe is your best bet for your first rail experience. I am still very much a beginner and have had the worst time with a round rail at my local cable park, so much so that I really have no desire to ever hit it again. I realize that the price was right on this stuff, but if it doesn't work out for you, don't let it put you off rails all together because it is not a very beginner-friendly setup.

That being said, I don't think it will float very high or be stable enough to get a decent hit. I'd suggest you look into other options if you want to build your own rail.

BamaLurker 07-24-2012 11:02 PM

12inch pipe is just gonna sink when you hit it. Put sum 4x4 post in the ground and cut holes in these so it slides down on the 4x4s. Run sum 2x4s under the pipe and put a couple screws through the top of the pipe and into the top of the 4x4s. Obviously the screws need to be in the low parts of the corrugation. 16 ft is a lil short but by no means too short. There are tons of things you could pull off hitting these. As far as molded fins; they WILL catch if your in a boardslide posistion and not right down the middle of your board. As far as round rails being no fun or whatever dude said it's just that in wakeboarding so many riders only experience rails at a cable so they are used to everything being wide enough to not haft to actualy balance. Your pipe has to be hit sumwhat properly to make it end to end. (not to much though cause it's short enough to not haft to have exact edge timing)

Mahoney86 07-25-2012 6:21 AM

Im going to follow this. Being that I ride on a river and I dont live on it, I cant set up a permanent rail, but would love to be able to tow something out with me in the morning and have some rail to hit...