WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Stiffest boot? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795227)

stang_killa_ss 08-26-2012 7:37 PM

Stiffest boot?

been riding the Relics for 2-3 years now. LOVE them but having some ankle issues. trying to limit up flex of the ankle as much as i can.

i know(think) the Cell is the stiffest boot in Ronix lineup. but not as familiar with the other lines.
whats the stiffest boot in
CWB?
LF?
SS?
HL?

many thanks! just trying to stay out there on the water...;)

Cory

501s 08-26-2012 9:36 PM

Hey Cory, I have rode the One's and the Cell's and both are awesome. If you like you relics but want something stiffer, the 2012 cells will be just what you need. Once you break them in and mold them, the cells will be awesome. Lots of support.

ryanw209 08-26-2012 10:04 PM

The cells for the ronix line and the Watson's or Soven's in the LF line

e_rock32 08-26-2012 10:17 PM

Marek for Hyperlite and the RADs for Slingshot... previous posts are correct and no input on CWB or Obrien

alexair 08-26-2012 11:11 PM

I'm not sure that stiff bindings give you no problem with your ankle. Stiff bindings are more hardly to get out your ankle during critical falls. My guess you need make fixing your ankle by skoch tape for sure. Not my innovation but really works

irishrider92 08-27-2012 12:09 AM

I'm in the same position as you and probably going to go for the Cells or Ones. Though from the previews of the Ronix line-up I'm not sure if they'll make the cells any more. The Code-55 look a lot like Cells though

TheHebrewHammer 08-27-2012 12:29 AM

The Soven has been the stiffest boot in the LF line for the past few years, but I haven't seen it for 2013.

irishrider92 08-27-2012 12:59 AM

New Sovens
http://prowake.com.au/media/catalog/...orce-soven.jpg

Watsons
http://prowake.com.au/media/catalog/...e-watson_2.jpg

Ronix Line-up is here too http://www.rideradarronix.com/wp-con..._SNEAKPEAK.jpg

93rx7 08-27-2012 6:09 AM

I have been riding with ankle braces all season.. LF Shane's are way too flexy. If I come up short (without wearing braces) or land into the flats I can end my weekend =/

So Sovens/Watsons are stiffer?

stang_killa_ss 08-27-2012 6:13 AM

do you guys think that the taller/stiffer boot will limit "up" flex? more. or just side to side rigity?
money is tight so i dont want to blow 300-400 if its not going to help with the problem.

wakedaveup 08-27-2012 6:20 AM

I think the Watsons have always been the stiffest boot. Not sure about the new stuff though.

superair502 08-27-2012 9:21 AM

Hey man, I have the privelidge of working for an online retailer and have got the chance to try every pair of the hyperlite boots and several others as well. The systems are immediately going to be more supportive than most of everything out there that said I ride marek boots which are the tallest, stiffest and most supportive in the line. I used to ride shanes like 3 years ago and kept injuring my ankle as well. Not that they were bad boots by any means but I found out then that I prefer a stiffer boot and went to watsons which were immediately better on my ankles which never really bother me anymore. I would second the RADs being the stiffest for slingshot and they are great all around boots as well. I would try a pair of each if you can or pm me if you decide on something you want to oder and we can get it shipped to you to try and mail it back if you arent happy. But if you are near a good local shop they should let you try on each pair to see what you prefer.

joshugan 08-27-2012 11:01 AM

Buy a pair of Cells on eBay. Don't go with the Watsons if you want stiff boots. I've ridden both boots and like a stiff binding. The Watsons were not especially stiff at all for my tatses and the Cells were perfect. The Cells may seem too stiff at first but will break in. I can't comment on the Sovens. I absolutely love my Cells though. Super comfortable.

08-27-2012 11:05 AM

I have the '11 Sovens, '11 Watsons and '12 Shanes...sovens are stiffest out of the 3, with Watsons right behind. I dont like the shanes (too much flex for me and like the higher ankle support). I ride my Watsons and my new Shanes just sit on my other board.

stang_killa_ss 08-27-2012 11:13 AM

getting some really great feedback here guys! thanks, keep it coming!

CasMarks 08-27-2012 3:08 PM

I ride the 2011 Harley boots which are very flexible but my friend has the mid range Byerly boot (can't remember the name) which I guess is not the stiffest but to me its stiff as cement so you might look into some of their stuff.

aubuchon03 08-27-2012 4:22 PM

I have the same problem when purchasing new bindings so I am very picky and will try out most all of them out first.

For me Its the forward flex that gets me (not the 'side-to-side'). My ankle gets worked on the top if it bends forward too much or is slammed upward during a crash. Here is what I have found 'functionally' that works best for my needswhen picking a binding.

Easy entry and exit / Taller support (aka higher wrap over leg) / stiff material / laces vs velcro (except when laces plus velcro over top) / and most important no pressure point above the top of the ankle/foot.

What I have found in brand line ups -
LF - Watsons, everything else in their lineup feels way to flexy (or soft) after putting these on.
HL - on the system setup - Mareks, however I like their (non-system) the"Team" bindings the best - their stiff plus theyfeel to have less pressure point on my ankle than the Mareks (imo). That goes for 2010-12, as I have not tried the remodeled 2013 Team version.
SS - RAD is great all around, not the stiffest on the market but a good boot for support.
Ronix - Cell, everything else in their lineup feels too soft after putting these on.
CWB - I never could find any of them supportive enough for me.

Hope this helps. As I listed above the binding list, I scale all boots regarding certain criteria that I have found important to my specific ankle-support needs. I am not sure about your ankle support, but mine is needed mainly above the top of my ankle. Good luck shopping.

hco 08-27-2012 4:24 PM

Watsons are super soft IMO, CWB AA's were super stiff for me, and were pretty high as well. LF has always felt the softest to me, with hyperlite and CWB putting out some other stiff boots. My Ronix experience is limited to their softer bindings.

rplogue7 08-28-2012 2:09 PM

I would stick with the cells! Those boots are great, especially if you want to go as big as possible. Chad Sharpe may not be quite the rider as Bob or Phil Soven, but he did win the parks double or nothing last year!

bwake 09-04-2012 1:56 AM

I have bad ankle problems as well and switched to the Marek System. So far its been ultra supportive and ive had no problems. I got sick of just driving the boat so jumped in them one day when my ankle wasnt 100% (not reccomended) but they were so tight, it didnt move and i had a great run.

Definitley reccomend them