WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cold water gloves (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796221)

Houstonshark 11-19-2012 11:57 AM

Cold water gloves

What do you use for gloves when riding in cold water or weather? We went out yesterday, water was 70 and air was 72. I'm sure that's not really considered cold to most but it was plenty cold for us.

I wore just a heater top (Jet Pilot F-35 which I love) and was fine, except for my hands. I have some Radar gloves but I had left them at home. I've worn them before and they definitely help with the wind once you are wet but I'd like something a little better.

Any suggestions?

Nordicron 11-19-2012 1:21 PM

you have to be kidding me! Unless its below 45 it's just not worth wearing gloves. Your hands just get so much more tired so quick. But when I have to wear them I use O'neall 1.5 psycho neo gloves

joshugan 11-19-2012 1:48 PM

Houston, I suggest you ignore the hate.

If your hands are cold (regardless of the temperature) and you want gloves, then wear gloves. I have some Nevin gloves that I love. Look for gloves that are already in a grip position like waterski gloves. I've found that it's actually my forearms that wear out though. On Saturday I started my run with them on and then took them off because it was tiring out my forearms. After they were off, I was already warmed up and didn't notice the cold.

Nordicron 11-19-2012 2:35 PM

It's not hate, it's warning him that wearing gloves wears out your grip prematurely. Also my understanding is that regular water ski gloves don't help with cold hands, they actually make your hands colder once they get wet.

Thrall 11-19-2012 3:06 PM

Hahaha, that's a nice late July day up here (well maybe early Aug for the water to reach 70)!

Houstonshark 11-19-2012 5:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicron (Post 1795168)
It's not hate, it's warning him that wearing gloves wears out your grip prematurely. Also my understanding is that regular water ski gloves don't help with cold hands, they actually make your hands colder once they get wet.

I guess I'd rather be tired than miserable. I hate cold weather but the water is really nice right now. My muscles and forearms can adjust to getting tired, but in 35 years, my hands have not adjusted to being cold.

My wife wore gloves yesterday and commented after about 15min that her forearms were getting tired. She took her gloves off and rode for another hour plus. I don't have any desire to ride that long. I'd rather take a couple 15-20min sets.

ryanw209 11-19-2012 9:14 PM

To be honest at 70 degrees gloves probably aren't worth the hassle. We didn't use them at all last year and just held our hands out of the water when we fell. You wont notice the cold when your riding...but 1.5mm oneill psycho gloves are the best for riding.

will5150 11-20-2012 6:43 AM

Get a good pair of Slalom gloves. I have some that are pre-curved and they are very comfortable and stick to the handle very well. You won't get tired with them.

Houstonshark 11-22-2012 5:36 AM

I ended up getting a pair of O'Neill Psycho 1.5mm gloves. Might try them out tomorrow.

durty_curt 11-22-2012 6:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Houstonshark (Post 1795584)
I ended up getting a pair of O'Neill Psycho 1.5mm gloves. Might try them out tomorrow.

Save yourself the hassle and money and return those O'Neil gloves before you use them! Out of all the gloves I've tried for winter wakeboarding, those are the WORST! your grip will disappear almost immediately! Those gloves are good for swimming, surfing, diving, MAYBE WAKE SURFING... don't.believe me? Try it out tomorrow and I'll say, "told you so"

What makes your hands, cold is the air moving across your fists. You just need something to block the wind. Clincher gloves, Ski gloves, or even some thin gardening gloves.

wakemitch 11-23-2012 1:43 PM

I have the O'Neill Psycho 1.5mm gloves and LOVE them
They have lasted me and are by far the best cold water glove ive used.

HSE 11-28-2012 12:32 PM

I use these:
http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/se...nz-gloves.html

They are thin, water proof so no wind chill. If you dip your hands in the water, they fill up, but then your hands warm them quick and they are thin enough so your don't get sore forearms quick holding the handle.

irishrider92 11-28-2012 3:50 PM

Use washing up gloves. Buy them for about $1.50 a pack and wear them til the palms wear out. Repeat. Any neoprene gloves are made for surfers that don't have to deal with the handle, so they can't stand up to the wear and tear. Plus 90% of the warmth offered by gloves is through wind protection