WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   SML locals, have a question for you (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781989)

dudeman 07-25-2010 11:22 AM

SML locals, have a question for you

Just spent a week at SML and got pulled for my wife laying on the sundeck while the boat was in motion. Also got a second ticket because I forgot the throw cushions back at the dock. :mad: They didn't buy the fact that the boat cushions float. It was 2 older dudes and a trainee. Guess they were trying to make an impression on the trainee. They didn't care that I was from NC and didn't know the laws. I know ignorance is no excuse. I was hoping they would let me off with a warning, but no way. Haven't called in yet to see what the fine is but does anyone local have an idea of what it should be? Talked to a few dudes at Wake n Skate and they didn't even know that it was illegal to ride on the sundeck with the boat in motion.

Reeder 07-25-2010 12:00 PM

Randy, I grew up at SML, and all the years ive spent there its been pretty mellow. That is untill we starte Wake N Skate Boardshop. When we starting having brostock and other contests that drawled a crowd (either partying or not) the Game Warden or (water cops) starting to make mor appearences. The law is at anytime the boat is in motion no one should be either on the back sundeck or any of the Gunnel rails along the boat. Throw cushions are a must. Sorry about the bust. Hopefully the fines are too bad!

dudeman 07-25-2010 1:33 PM

Thanks Brian. I was going to call when I was there, but didn't need the buzzkill if the fine was outrageous.

dudeman 07-25-2010 2:28 PM

BTW Brian, I picked up an '10 142 Transcend from your shop while I was there. Demoed it for a day and bought it. Badass.

wakeboardern1 07-25-2010 5:58 PM

Right now the cops in VA are cracking down on as many laws as they can due to budget issues. It's pretty gnarly here at SML now, and I'm in constant fear of getting pulled over when I'm out, especially since I never wear a CGA vest. It's a bummer that they had to mess with your weekend like that, come back to SML soon though, haha.

dudeman 07-25-2010 6:02 PM

Thanks Nick. We've been renting a place for 5 years running now and this won't stop us. In fact I rolled my deposit over for next year. We finally ended up with a sweet rental. Be there next year, July 16-23. Can't wait.

lfadam 07-25-2010 6:17 PM

Sorry to hear about your run in with our water cops. To anyone riding in SML or other VA waterways, a couple useful things to know

-By law, you dont need to wear a CGA vest as long as you have a spotter
-You can ride 30 mins after sunset (although the cops can make a judgement call and say its too dark before that)
-you can not sit on the sundeck/gunnels/swim platform while the boat is in gear or you can get ticketed. Basically have to be in a seat or standing inside the "walls" of the boat
-Throw cushion has to be within arms reach of the driver at all times

Those are some of the biggies I can think of. I have been asking about these kind of things since I work at the marina where they all fill up. Not sure about what your fines will be but Ive heard numbers in the 100-150 range thrown around for several violations.

wakeboardern1 07-25-2010 9:02 PM

Randy, in that case, I expect you to show up at the Wake'N'Skate tournament. Or else. haha.

dudeman 07-26-2010 9:49 AM

Just called up for my fines. No throw cushion which they consider a life vest is a $35 fine plus $81 in court costs. The riding on the sundeck which I was told I could mail in also is a new enough of a law that it's not in the system for a fine. So, I need to sign the waiver that I'm not coming to court. When the court date comes up, it goes before a judge, they assess a fine, plus $20 for court costs and the bill is mailed out. I told the person I spoke with my wife had been riding on the sundeck for the last 5 years without a game warden giving us a ticket. I was told it's a pretty new law and the fact that I'm from out of state doesn't matter. :confused: Hope they don't make up any more new laws before next year to generate more income. Good way to run off people from out of state supporting the local economy.