WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Girls Who Ride (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=195511)
-   -   Just started and need help (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456780)

wakeboardlover 06-01-2007 8:58 PM

ok so I just started wakeboarding a couple weeks ago, I got up on my first try but didn't stay up until my fourth, my parent's drive the boat and wakeboarding is a whole NEW thing to them, they are more the skiing people, so I was wondering, if there are certain speeds for diff people? I’m about 5' 7' 140lbs and 13 years old. And the only way I can get out of the water is if they start out fast and get slower. Another problem I have is I always get up and go to the right side of the boat; it’s the only side I can go to and stay up comfortable, so how do I get back to being behind the boat? I have an idea but I never got a chance to try it. So if you have any pointers I’d love to hear them, I’m totally new at this whole wakeboarding thing but I think it’s a total BLAST!

criswb 06-02-2007 8:07 AM

hey! welcome to the wakeboard world... <BR> <BR>for getting up, do whatever works for you. <BR> <BR>Are you right foot forward? If you are, it is normal that the first thing you do is go to the right side of the boat, since it is the easiest side to cut out for you. To stay in the middle of the wakes (or not moving from side to side) put the handle to your front hip when you get up. Your body will be twisted. Make sure your upper body (chest and shoulders) are facing the boat while your lower body is facing left. Your body weight should be 60% in your back leg which should be a little bent and 40% in you front leg which should be more straight (if you in fact are right foot forward) <BR> <BR>To start moving from side to side you have to point your front foot in the direction you want to go and slowly pull the handle to the opposite side. Remember to always keep the handle close to your body and around the hip area. Try moving around like this inside the wakes first (might help to lenghten the rope so you have more room inside the wakes) and then try it going outside the wakes and coming back in. When coming back in, do it slowly until you get the hang of it, and flex your knees when you cross the wake so that you dont get pop. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps! If you need anything else, just let us know <BR> <BR>(Message edited by criswb on June 02, 2007)

wakeboardlover 06-02-2007 8:38 PM

ok thanks, that makes a lot of sense is very helpful, once the weather warms up and it stops raining i'm gonna get back out and try your advice, thanks a bunch!

amber_nicole 07-09-2007 12:03 PM

hey! what helps me get up is if your dad pulls you up slow and then gets up to your pulling speed it works alot better. Allways try to keep the handle around your hip area}}

tobs2 07-09-2007 2:41 PM

Well they people here have the right idea.....whether you ride switch or regular with your left foot forward it is all the same technique........like on a snowboard as well if you have done that.....look left go left....look right go right......you can move the handle just a little bit in the direction you want to go as well can help.....as well as if you are to the left side of the wake and or outside of the wake left side of the boat you will want to look right and slowly put a little pressure on your toe edge back towards the wake and edge up and over the wake.....you can keep from poping off the wake at first by sucking up the wake with your knees when you go over it to get used to crossing back and forth.......same way coming from the right side just opposite of what I said.....you may want to start out by really learning how to carve and or edge right behind the boat first .....edge heel edge and then toe edge to get that down pat......keep your rope / handle low below your chest and in close to your lead hip about a foot or less away whatever is relaxing for you.... Hope that helps!!! T.

sonironi 07-09-2007 6:00 PM

I completely new also. I'm 30, 4'8", 100lbs. do you ride goofy? I do and I always go the same direction you do. a few people on this site have given me some tips and I did try to get closer to the wake last tiem I went. I'm getting used to adjusting my weight, and how to control my board more. also, learning what happens when i lean a bit more towards my toes or heels. right now, I feel more comfortable if they go a lil slower than faster. that way i don't feel like that boat is going to drag me and I can hold onto the rope better and concentrate on what I'm doing and not where to boat is taking me. GOOD LUCK and have fun!!! We can still have a blast as we're learning.

futurerx 07-10-2007 1:17 PM

welcome!! i ride goofy and it took me a while before i ventured outside of the wake--way to go!! consciously try to stay in the wake for now until you get comfortable edging out..i found when i was ready to try cutting out i started by going back and forth to each side IN THE WAKE still to get a feel for edging..it made it way more comfortable..as far as speeds go, i usually ride around 23.5., give or take depending on how many people are in the boat and how much ballast you have..play with it and make sure you're comfortable while you're learning..if you're freaking out because of the speed it will be much harder to progress..but also know that if the speed is too low it can also make things difficult..good luck!!

wakeboardlover 07-10-2007 3:49 PM

ok thanks for all the great tips, i'll try them out this weekend, and hopefully it will be a whole lot more comfortable! :D