WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   opinions and help needed (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779796)

chris_b 05-22-2010 8:55 PM

opinions and help needed

Today we were headed back to the ramp in our VLX and I felt a thump like I hit something and then the boat started vibrating bad. I shut it down quickly but when I put it back gear it vibrated badly and would not move hardly. I had to creep to the ramp and I loaded it by hand. What do you guys think? There was not even a mark on the prop or anything else under the boat. The prop spins fine by hand, and I couldn't feel any play in the shaft. Could it be bearings? I need some help on where to start here. Thanks.

camassanger 05-22-2010 9:11 PM

hmmm... could it be the v drive? maybe the u-joint? the prop shaft shouldnt turn easily... were you able to make it turn a full revolution or so?

chris_b 05-22-2010 9:16 PM

I have to force the prop to spin. I can't just flick it and it spins freely. I did not notice anything unusual around transmission, and all my fluids checked good.

Silverbullet555 05-22-2010 9:35 PM

When you spun the prop to did you notice any wobble in the shaft?

bawshogg 05-22-2010 9:46 PM

If I had to guess, ... so you are saying it barely moves if you rev it up and try to go? Flexplates are somewhat known to have issues on the 05 models? what year is your boat? Check the coupler bolts that connect the v-drive to the shaft also.

chris_b 05-22-2010 9:46 PM

none at all

chris_b 05-22-2010 9:47 PM

mine is an 02

cal565 05-23-2010 4:51 AM

Wouldn't hurt to take your prop to get checked out. I have bent one before that you couldn't tell was bent just by looking at it, and my boat was doing the exact same thing. I got the prop repaired and all was good again. Just a thought.

wake77 05-23-2010 6:26 AM

A slight bend in your prop can cause this type of vibration. That would probably be the first place I would start.

chris_b 05-23-2010 7:46 AM

It has to be a bend that can't be picked up by a human eye. I also guage it to see if I could detect a bend. Today I am going to hook fake a lake to it and crank it in the driveway.

rio_sanger 05-23-2010 7:47 AM

Put your spare prop on, (if you have one - if you don't, get one) And try it out ,good place to start.

chris_b 05-23-2010 8:45 PM

I hook the fake a lake to it today and it seem like nothing ever happened?!?!?! So I went back to the lake put it in and it ran perfect. I talked to one of the residents on the lake and asked about the area where it happened. The guy said back about 20 years ago a man had a ski course out there and I might have got into an old bouy line. It must have wrapped around my prop, and then come loose before I got it on the trailer. Who would have thought. Thanks for the help guys, looks like a false alarm. For once it didn't cost me anything.

wake_upppp 05-23-2010 10:36 PM

Always nice when a problem takes care of itself! Derek, not sure what you're talking about, "propshaft shouldnt turn easily". I could turn my propshaft with two fingers on the prop on all three Sanger Ive owned?

ralph 05-24-2010 1:47 AM

Yes but you have super human fingers! If my cutlas is dry my prop is hard to turn but much easier when wet I have normal fingers tho.

wake_upppp 05-24-2010 6:04 PM

I have been told that sometimes I dont know my own strength. lol

olmoomba 05-26-2010 12:48 PM

We had a something get caught on the prop, I was being pulled and my wife was drivin, the boat started to vibrate "violently" according to them. She pulled back the throttle, killed the engine immediately, I got in the boat and it ran fine. I assume your issue was similar like the resident said.

We assume a plastic bag got caught on the prop. OT - a plastic bag got caught on my scupper and we overheated. Plastic bags are phantom problems.

tonyv420 05-26-2010 1:23 PM

yea i hate those freakin plastic bags!! why can't people keep their darn garbage in the boat. sooo disrespectful to trash your lake. Nice that it was an easy fix for you Chris. My mechanic says never hook my engine up to a hose, don't know if this is good advice or not, sorry to jack the thread, i could start a new one, but was curious what anybody here has to say about that.

JohnnyDefacto 05-26-2010 2:01 PM

he only says that so that you feel like you cant do your own repairs/troubleshooting, so you have to take it to him instead....

when he gets it, he hooks it up to a hose...

I don't know him, so I am joking, but seriously...

olmoomba 05-26-2010 2:35 PM

common thought is - use a fake a lake or a bucket. I take my flush line, put it in a 5gal bucket and have the hose there to refill the bucket.