WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through June 17, 2007 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=464977)
-   -   Pricing for older SN 2001 (or just pre-2001) (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454718)

madison_boarder 05-29-2007 10:10 AM

I'm looking to get a boat loan for a 1981 Ski Nautique (anniversary edition, very similar to a 2001 model, but the year before). <BR> <BR>I need to get pricing on the boat (blue book value in a sense), but when I use NADA I get a price much lower than expected and I fear I won't be able to get the loan I need to purchase the boat. I need at least a 6-7k loan to get the boat (price is a bit over 7), but NADA says somethign like 2k... <BR> <BR>Anyone have any tips on how I can approach my lender about this? She wants me to look up the blue book value, and I won't lie about it, but I want to know if anyone has gotten a loan for an older boat like this and had the same issues? I've got a grand to 1.5k I could use cash, so that'd be 20% of the purchase price, but if the NADA value is so low, I don't know if I can get the 6k in loan. <BR> <BR>Thanks!

reddig82 05-29-2007 11:19 AM

Man I know the feeling. When I was looking to purchase an older wakeboat trying to get financed on something in my price range was nearly impossible. I wound up waiting a while and just paying with cash. The only suggestions I would have is maybe a friend or relative or a secured short term loan from a bank or credit union. I say credit union because they are sometimes more likely to bend the rules a bit more than a larger financial institution. Still I would not be surprised if they did not want some collateral to hold though. I would steer shy from the friend or family thing as that can be way more trouble than it is worth. Good luck to you though. Oh, and I am sure there are other ways to secure the funds. I am speaking only of my personal experiences with buying older toys like boats and jeeps.

hal2814 05-29-2007 11:44 AM

If you want to borrow against some collateral, that collateral must be worth more than you're borrowing. Even credit unions don't tend to budge on that point. Most boat brokers/dealers I've talked to are willing to put the purchase on a credit card for < $10,000 purchases if that helps. I don't know what to tell you for private party purchases. You would either need to do a signature loan and deal with the high interest or find some other collateral if you insist on borrowing the amount. Personally, I'd look for a better deal. $7K for a pre-2001 is kind of high.

malibuboarder75 05-29-2007 1:01 PM

I got a 1983 2001 for $4500. Keep looking.

rodltg2 05-29-2007 1:13 PM

i had the same problem when i found a 1996 prostar 190 for slalom skiing. i had to come up with a large down payment to cover the difference and my rate was terrible. so i bought a newer boat instead and since my rate dropped the payment was about the same for a 5 y.o newer boat.

ralph 05-29-2007 1:34 PM

I paid 7.5k for a super straight 85. I agree with Leo keep looking. Def look outside your local area there is a bunch of really nice ones in Texas, they seem a bit cheaper than else where and are generally pretty straight due to the climate. Shipping is not overly expensive.

srh00z 05-29-2007 2:12 PM

I would hold out for a 2001 hull Nautique if you can, especially for those dollars. I have boarded behind the 2001 Nautiques and a few pre2001 hulls (77 and a 79 and the 2001 wake is bigger unweighted and I believe the beam is a little wider and thus the wake is a little wider and more rideable.

jon4pres 05-29-2007 2:54 PM

I agree that you can probably find a better deal. <BR> <BR>I would look for a local hometown type bank or credit union. If you have good credit or even better a good reputation with them they should be able to make something happen for you.