WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   Costa Rica (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797165)

phatboypimp 03-05-2013 11:42 AM

Costa Rica

I leave on Saturday - Staying at a house in Tamarindo for a week - so surfing is on the list for sure. Maybe some Zip Lining as well. Any other suggestions oh powerful Wakeworld?

detonate69 03-05-2013 11:48 AM

I went last year. We stayed inland around Arenal volcano. all i can say is canyoneering and river rafting were my two favorite adventures. Zip lining was okay, I'm glad i did it but would probably pass for something more exciting and physical next time.

Hot springs are nice, and the cacique guaro (sugar cane liquor) makes an awesome drink. Have fun, everyone i met was very Nice. I can't wait to go back and explore more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

norcalrider 03-05-2013 12:03 PM

Found better surf at Playa Negra so if you have a car go there.

Bar 1 in Tamarindo is owned by some guys from San Diego, CA last time I was down there. Pretty cool spot.

If you have women folks with you, don't let them bring a purse to the Crazy Monkey Bar, pickpockets.

Drink the cacique and plenty of imperial. Don't forget to buy some cuban cigars while down there...

Pura Vida!

tripsw 03-07-2013 7:30 AM

Pickpockets everywhere in Tamarindo, not just at that one bar. Be very careful at night.
That being said: there's a really cool tour you can do in Rincon de la vieja, with ATV, horsebackriding, rapelling I think, zipline, and more. All combined in one tour. I think the place is called Hacienda Guachipelin. You can book it from Tamarindo and do a one-day tour.
Also go wakeboarding with Flyzone (that's me!;) on Lake Arenal. It's a 2 hour drive from Tama to Arenal. www.flyzone-cr.com.
Let me know if you need to know anything else!

phatboypimp 03-07-2013 8:33 AM

Thanks guys. Canyoneering and rafting are now on the list. I appreciate the pickpocket warning - didn't know it was that bad. Tripsw - I would love to get some boarding in - I could also use some coaching. I very well might make it out that way. Keep an eye out for me.

jv210 03-07-2013 11:02 AM

Just went in November, definitely the highlight was the rafting out of Arenal with stg3/4 rapids. It was pretty crazy, a lot of people flying out of rafts.

Also did the canyoneering and zip-line in Arenal. Canyoneering is just alright, you don't actually repel the big falls they show you, it's more of a zipline type thing down the big falls, but is was cool. I wouldn't do the zip-lining if I went back again, it just wasn't all they make it out to be.

I rented a 4x4 and drove all around from San jose to the west coat then to arenal, always felt safe except when I had to stay 1 night in San Jose, kinda sketchy.

norcalrider 03-07-2013 11:37 AM

My first trip was a lot of wandering. San Jose, La Fortuna (base of Arenal), Monteverde, Manuel Antonio, Tamarindo, Montezuma, Playa Samara, and Alajuela.

Second trip was a bachelor party/surf trip and we stayed at a nice home our buddy's family owned at Junquillal ~30km south of Tamarindo. We went into Tamarindo a few nights to booze but didn't spend any time surfing those beaches.

22vdrive 03-07-2013 11:46 AM

Are tamarindos beaches bad for surfing?

norcalrider 03-07-2013 1:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 22vdrive (Post 1810259)
Are tamarindos beaches bad for surfing?

No just smaller than what we were looking for and Playa Negra was pumping most of the week. Also took a boat trip to witches rock which was worth the cost.

tripsw 03-07-2013 7:39 PM

There's a whole bunch of great surf beaches all around Tamarindo. You'd need a car though (or take taxi's). Or of course take a boat to Witches Rock.
I really like the area south of Tamarindo, not a big fan of Tamarindo itself. Samara and Montezuma are really nice, and one of the coolest things you can do (imo) is drive along the beaches from Montezuma to Samara (or vice versa). Unbelievable beaches, unbelievable views, no tourists anywhere, couple river crossings, etc. Only possible in dry-season because of those rivers you have to cross.
And yes get out of SJ as quickly as you can, nothing to see or do there.

moto817 03-07-2013 8:54 PM

We leave Thursday the 14th for Costa Rica also! Staying three days in Arenal then a week in Jaco beach. Hopefully going to get a pull at flyzone and do some surfing in Jaco, I hope surfing is ok there.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

bcoppinger 03-08-2013 7:35 AM

Video I made Zip lining in Arenal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL8m5fIx88Q

Another Canyoning near Arenal : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noVfT2zGwLA

Great time!

tripsw 03-08-2013 8:06 AM

Hey moto817, yeah I hope you'll manage to come over for some riding! And no worries; Jaco has good surf. And Hermosa (next beach) has great surf :)

larry1167 03-08-2013 8:08 AM

If you are flying into San Jose, be on guard when leaving the airport transferring to ground transportation. They are good at distracting you and then stealing whatever you aren't watching like a small bag set on the ground.

Check out Playa Grande north of Tamarindo. Good beach break. There is a river mouth at Tamarindo that can get good on the right swell. Fun, fast wave.

kellen 03-08-2013 10:09 AM

Has anyone ever been to Antigua/Barbuda? planning to book my honey moon here all enclusive through costco for $5k

steezyshots 03-12-2013 9:28 AM

Doing 2 weeks in Tamarindo in May, let us know how your stay was!