WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Do I need a new board? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780360)

Jeff 06-07-2010 11:22 AM

Do I need a new board?

Spent all of high school wakeboarding behind flat boats and center consoles and never really progressed much. I was about 6' 160 lbs back in those days and had a Liquid Force Super Squirt with pretty crappy Connely bindings. I really liked that board!

Well, now I'm 30, 6'1", 190 lbs and still have been riding the same board. I'm a low grade, intermediate rider (good air, 180s, 360s, the occasional unsuccessful backroll) but I'm older now and don't have the balls that I used to. I only get on the water about 1 or 2 times a year if I'm lucky but now I'm in the market for a boat of my own and will be out there a lot more (If I can find a boat that I can afford).

I'd definitely get some better bindings but have I outgrown my board with my extra 30+ lbs and 1" of height?

Being that I'm spending a bunch of cash on the boat I'd rather not have to throw down another few hundred for a board. At the same time I don't want to spend all of that money on the boat and be riding a board that holds me back some without even knowing it.

Thanks,
Jeff

jarrod 06-07-2010 12:11 PM

what size is the board. I'm guessing that anything called a "squirt" is going to be too small for a 190 pound guy.

Jeff 06-07-2010 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrod (Post 1594209)
what size is the board. I'm guessing that anything called a "squirt" is going to be too small for a 190 pound guy.

I don't even know. Not sure they had multiple sizes back then. I'd have to measure it but it is pretty wide relative to the length.

It looks like the attached photo.

BTW, I found that pic on a site wanting $200 for the board which seems absurd.

Jeff 06-07-2010 12:22 PM

BTW, I'd also like some binding recommendations. I figure I'll at least get those. Based on my foot being a size 12 and my skill level as mentioned above what should I be looking at?

Thanks,
Jeff

midwesttex 06-07-2010 12:58 PM

That board of yours was a classic in it's day. $200 might actually be a good price, might be considered a collectors item at some point. I would hold on to it. If you want something similar you could check out the LIquid Force Fish. It was an update of the Squart, but I think they stopped making them a few seasons back. WIth todays wakes you will defenintly need a new board. I am currently looking for something new as well. It looks like am the same age, size and skill level. Good luck.

Jeff 06-07-2010 1:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwesttex (Post 1594228)
That board of yours was a classic in it's day. $200 might actually be a good price, might be considered a collectors item at some point. I would hold on to it. If you want something similar you could check out the LIquid Force Fish. It was an update of the Squart, but I think they stopped making them a few seasons back. WIth todays wakes you will defenintly need a new board. I am currently looking for something new as well. It looks like am the same age, size and skill level. Good luck.

Well, I dropped mine on a railing being stupid back in the day so there's a nice dent on one side.

"Today's wakes" are definitely obscene compared to what we used to have. I thought I was smart in high school but if so, why didn't I think of ballast and extended pylons/towers? The main problem is that my dad's hydrasports 21' only had a Johnson 112 on the back so it couldn't have handled ballast if it had occurred to me.

I remember kneeboarding behind a Cheyenne closed bow competition ski boat with about 7 people and thinking the wake was giant. I would've shat my pants if I had been put behind a SAN with 1,800 lbs of additional ballast.

Jeff 06-07-2010 1:11 PM

Sorry, forgot to ask. How does the wake size/shape affect one's board purchase decision?

Thanks,
Jeff

midwesttex 06-07-2010 1:33 PM

From what I understand it is all in the size of rocker. I might be off base, but your old squirt won't have as much rocker as some of the new stuff. The larger rocker fits the larger steaper wakes.

landowakettu 06-07-2010 11:10 PM

First off I'd like to say with what follows I am in no way bashing MidWestTex and saying hes wrong, Im just providing my knowledge from which I've gained from riding and working at a shop. Ok, lets get to it:

The boards that are being produced these days are more rider specific than wake specific. You've got two main types of boards either a 3-Stage rocker which has distinguishable changes in the curve or rocker of the board and continuous rockers; these boards are more of a continual curve from one tip of the board to the other hints the name.

That being said, 3 stage rocker boards have more of an abrupt pop straight off the wake, kind of a high arch trajectory. More suited towards wake to wake riders that like the straight up floaty feel. Now continuous rocker boards have a more mellow pop off the wake and provide a longer trajectory off the wake. Most riders that boost out into the flats ride these type of boards ie. Vandall, of course by most I dont mean all so don't tear me apart on that one (see Keith Lyman, LFs website says 3stage but I'm convinced its got to be some sort of continuous hybrid... i digress). Now of course a wake to wake rider could ride a continuous rocker board really well wake to wake and never really take it to the flats its all about how you ride the board and your style thats what makes wakeboarding such a great sports you can put little bits of yourself into it! The main point here is that the different rocker shapes affect the way in which the board pops and releases off the wake.

You also have what have now been called, hybrid rockers. These are pretty much what they're name implies a mixture of the two. Whether you have a subtle 3-stage or an abrupt continuous rocker you could be in fact talking about the same rocker pattern but on the other hand not. Its all about the adjectives in that game. You could want a board that has really abrupt pop but fast speed into the wake, where you would go with a board like the LF Witness or something along those lines maybe the Ronix Viva... there are so many different shapes we could talk rocker patterns for hours upon hours. Not to mention Flex (sandwich pressing) similar to the way they produce snowboards, this gives the board "flex" its a different manufacturing technique that produces these boards which flex as compared to being relatively solid as most boards are today.

My best recommendation would be to go to your local shop and try to demo boards. That way you'd know what you were buying before you purchased it and were stuck with it whether you liked it or not. Most places have a demo program setup so their customers are able to do this. Most of the time the staff is knowledgeable enough to pretty much point you in the right direction but no amount of words are really going to be able to tell you exactly how a board is going to feel, pop, or ride in the water.

As for sizing thats a little easier. I'd say you'd be good on anything from a 140-143,144ish I give you a size range because that also comes down to the rider as well. You may want to ride a little slower with the board deeper in the water in which case you'd go with a smaller board or on the other hand you could want to ride a little faster higher up on the water where you would go with a bigger board.

In the end I'll answer your thread question. YES!!! You should get a new board, but of course keep the squirt that thing will be a collectors item before long! As the board ages it tends to lose it's pop so a new board is a no brainier.

As for bindings, I'd look towards what I see (from shop experience) the Ronix line up is a great place to start. They've got pretty much everything from different amounts of flex in the bindings. If you have weak ankles then the Cells would work great as they provide superior ankle support but if you want the ability to poke grabs out a ridiculously amount you could go with the Relics. OKOK again I've got to say this, yes you can poke grabs out in cells, i know and have seen guys do it, its just harder do to due to the construction of the boot. Of course LF and Hyperlite have good boots as well, but theres a reason that Ronix won so many awards with their boots last year, solid design and construction, and they've done nothing but improve them even more this year.

Sorry I kind of went on a rant, but thats what I would tell a person should they come into the shop and ask the question you did. Hope this helps! Good luck!

timmo 06-08-2010 2:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landowakettu (Post 1594431)
Said lots of useful stuff which ended: Hope this helps!

Just wanted to say that that was a great response, I'm pretty sure it helped the OP :)

sidekicknicholas 06-08-2010 4:18 AM

I would buy from right here:
http://www.slingshotsports.com/wakeb.../wake_packages

The middle one with the D2 is a sick setup, I would get the 142 response + D2.... great setup

Jeff 06-08-2010 6:12 AM

Wow! There's a lot more science in this compared to 12-15 years ago. I want my old HO skurf style board with bungie bindings back!

We have a shop in town that's supposed to be pretty good so I'll have to check them out. If nothing else I can go poser style and get some stickers there and plaster them all over my sweet '94 ranger.

On a semi related note the killer boat deal that I've been working for about a month is finally coming together. God willing, I'll buy it Friday.

Thanks to all. Especially Landan Luna
Jeff

Jeff 06-08-2010 6:13 AM

BTW, I'm not kidding. I still live in the '90s and I do drive a '94 Ranger.

wake77 06-08-2010 6:50 AM

Jeff, not to give you more stress, but I don't think the Ranger will be able to safely pull a wakeboard boat, do you have other options for a tow vehicle.

Jeff 06-08-2010 7:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wake77 (Post 1594475)
Jeff, not to give you more stress, but I don't think the Ranger will be able to safely pull a wakeboard boat, do you have other options for a tow vehicle.

Yes, this has definitely been a subject of thought lately.

It's a 4.0L V6, extended cab (relatively long wheelbase for a small truck) and rated for 6,000 lbs. I'm sure it will not be ideal but I'm only going to use it to pull it back and forth to the launch 4 miles away on flat ground. Max speed will be 45 MPH and it's a straight shot (No high speed curves).

If I need to run it down the highway I have 3 friends with 3/4 ton diesels in the area. Also, my dad has a 1/2 ton and I can always trade trucks with him for a week or two or three if I needed to take an extended trip somewhere.

My next vehicle will be a 4 door 1/2 or 3/4 ton pickup but I'm gonna stick with the Ranger until I can pay cash for the truck.

landowakettu 06-12-2010 4:53 PM

No problem man! I like everyone to be some what informed about things, especially the people that have been out of the game for a while! I'd really like to know the setup you went with! I'm glad I could help you out!

Jeff 08-02-2010 7:54 PM

Just to follow up I ended up with a '00 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS. No tower, no ballast but at 30 years old I'm doing the best wakeboarding of my life behind it on my good ole Super Squirt. No problem going wake to wake at 60+ ft off.

It's actually going so well that I'm thinking, at least for the time being, I'm going to keep riding this board and "invest" the money in other things like tower and ballast.

I really could use to replace the Connely high wraps though. I ollied out of one last outing. My knees' lives flashed before their eyes! Managed to land my rear foot back on the board and release the rope before hurting myself.

08-11-2010 10:59 AM

Check out the Liquid Force Trip in either the 143 or 146 ... its a fun board that can handle your size and still give you the pop you need to improve your riding!

chaser 08-11-2010 3:25 PM

Wait till after labor day and you can get some screaming deals on boards and bindings.

hyperlite 08-11-2010 5:35 PM

hahahaha thats too funny.