WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through November 14, 2005 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=268197)
-   -   boat shipped by rail (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259698)

canada_air 10-12-2005 3:33 PM

i have been looking into getting boat shipped by rail and the rail company is telling me the boat is to wide for there cars.the boat has 8 foot beam but another buddy of mine had 8foot beam shipped through same company. mixed stories. anybody here have experience with boat shipping through rail

twitch 10-12-2005 4:05 PM

you may be able to get it shipped... but it may be difficult as rail standards are <BR> <BR><blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1><b>quote:</b></font><p>ISO Container Sizes <BR>ISO containers, also referred to as intermodal containers, are used to transport freight throughout the world. ISO containers are designed for transportation by more than just one mode: such as road and rail, or rail and ship. They are spefically design for convenient lifting and movement. The relevevant standard for ISO containers is ISO 668:1995 Series 1 freight containers - Classification, dimensions and ratings <BR> <BR>ISO containers are manufactured in standard sizes. <b>The standard width of ISO containers is 8 feet (2.44m )</b>, the standard heights are 8 feet 6 inches (2.59m), and 9 feet 6 inches (2.9m), and the most common lengths are 20 feet (6.1m) and 40 feet (12.19m). The containers are also manufactured in a number of different lengths from 24 feet (7.31m) to 56 feet (17.22m) <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> <BR> <BR>and if the boat is 8 feet wide the trailer will be wider... and you may not be able to get it onboard <BR> <BR>just some info... <BR> <BR>if the train dosent have to use any tunnels you may be able to get it loaded on a flatbed trailer. <BR>

canada_air 10-12-2005 4:46 PM

flatbed they want $5-6000. my buddys boat was a ski challenger and the one i was gonna get is a ski challenger. my other buddy shipped his mastercraft but it is 7,10

super_air 10-12-2005 4:48 PM

Sounds like a road trip in the making.

canada_air 10-12-2005 5:53 PM

road trips can be fun. i did travelled that far for my mastercraft. 30hours each way

aidan 10-12-2005 10:25 PM

Get a legger........Should run you $100.00 day + expenses and gas.

goodtimes 10-12-2005 10:45 PM

Allen call Shelley at Consoladated Fastfreight in Saskatoon. They send most of their freight by train for long distance stuff. I'm pretty sure if it doesn't fit into a semi trailer, it is too wide. <BR>Also call Select Classic Courier in Saskatoon. They are the most reasonably priced shipping company for boats, rv's, etc. I use them for bringing boats up from the US when I don't go get them myself. <BR>What city are you shipping it from if I may ask?

goodtimes 10-12-2005 10:46 PM

Just noticed I spelled your name wrong. Sorry.

canada_air 10-13-2005 3:22 PM

the boat is in northeastern states. i was wondering if anybody has flown one way and rented truck to pull back when buying boat. i suppose in my case the rental cost would break bank

elmog 10-13-2005 8:24 PM

Rail is not an economical way to transport this sort of thing. <BR> <BR>Try a trucking company if you can't tow it - we have backhoes and excavators hauled cross country all the time.