WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trick Tips (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3184)
-   -   HS 360 - Line Tension (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461670)

rourker 06-12-2007 7:54 AM

I've landed a few 3's but I struggle with consistency. Probly landing 20% success rate. I feel like I know what to do. Pop, pull pass works well and pushing my hip to handle is helping me with my handle pass, too. So the questions that keep playing through my mind are this. <BR>1. Should I get a little flat before the wake or stay on edge? <BR>2. Why does it sometimes feel like an impossible feat to pull the handle to the small of my back? <BR>3. How do I make it easier on myself to get the handle pass? <BR>4. Anyone have tips on how to speed up my rotation? <BR> <BR>Even when I've landed these, I've noticed that there seems to be a fair amount of tension on the line when I land. Nothing like what I see in the instructional videos where slack lays in the water on the landing. <BR> <BR>I'll take anything I get from anyone out there.

jusstty 06-12-2007 8:58 AM

Jump towards the boat, and when your carving in you should really keep the handle right on your hips.

rourker 06-12-2007 10:13 AM

does this mean I should be flat coming off the wake or actually transition to my toeside edge coming up the wake? Or are you suggesting I just point the board more toward the boat vs. perpendicular to boat?

jusstty 06-12-2007 10:46 AM

No don't transition to your toeside edge, and if you can stay on the heel edge as long as possible. When your at the top of the wake if your need to flatten out its ok, but make sure that when you push your push a little toward the boat break some more line tension.

helix_rider 06-12-2007 12:26 PM

It may be 'cheating', but if the boat driver turns the way I'm jumping (just a little), it gives a little slack to allow for an easier pass.

dlwsrider 06-12-2007 1:29 PM

what I do on mine is i take a very mellow edge into the wake and stay on my heel edge the whole way through. <BR> <BR>mellowing out your edge should make it easier to yank the handle to the small of your back

rourker 06-12-2007 2:08 PM

turning the boat definitely makes a difference. This has happened by chance on other tricks and it's kind of nice to have that much more time. <BR> <BR>Would it help when I mellow out the edge to pop more with an Ollie off the wake?

jusstty 06-12-2007 3:36 PM

Yes

rourker 06-13-2007 10:13 AM

Ok. I'll give it a try tomorrow night. Thanks for the help.

other1 06-13-2007 1:15 PM

I second the ollie off the wake. Been trying these the past couple of weeks and that has been a huge help. Gotten the pass a few times, now I just need to ride it out.

rourker 06-14-2007 7:46 AM

Any suggestions on how to speed up my rotation? It seems like with the handle at my hips, I won't get much of a tug to initiate the spin.

knarbar 06-14-2007 10:26 AM

Progressive edge+good push for pop+keeping handle in low with your lead hip= perfect form to intiate your 3. If you ride reg. and you go for the handle pass turn the handle down pointing your thumb on your right hand towards the water as you pull the handle for the pass. this will help bring the handle to the small of your back and as you catch spot the landing

knarbar 06-14-2007 10:27 AM

Just watch D. Harf when he does back to back 7's reg and switch. I dont think the handle ever gets out about 8 inches from his body.

santa 06-14-2007 10:31 AM

1- I'm with Caleb on the edge thing. I had the same problem with my 3's and finally understood that this trick is all about your approach towards the wake. If you do it right, you'll eliminate the rope tension and create enough height to give you plenty of time to spin. <BR> <BR>Start your edge at the largest possible distance from the wake (should feel like 50') and let yourself SLOWWWWWWLY drift towards the wake using a very slight edge (I would say MAXIMUM at 3 on a scale from 1 to 10). As you are drifting towards the wake, make sure you are sitting really low with your knees bent. Then going up the wake, push your legs straight out - give yourself a huge pop and think height, not distance. <BR>Practive doing that a few times without the spin. When you notice that your rope starts to get loose while you are in mid-air, then you're ready to try to spin. <BR> <BR>Spin on your way DOWN from the jump, and not going up. <BR> <BR>As for the second question about making the rotation faster, there really shouldn't be any need to if you are jumping correctly and high enough. However, one trick I do is to think about bringing the handle to the small of my back with my right hand (I am left foot forward) while rotating, as oposed to thinking about pulling the rope with all my might towards my right hip, which usually ends up in throwing me all crooked and being unable to pass the handle. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. Good luck!

rourker 06-14-2007 11:02 AM

Going out tonight. I'll do a few dry run w2w jumps and try to get some slack as you described. <BR> <BR>I will say that the times where I've landed these, I specifically remember making a conscious effort to push my back hip forward. It's almost as if I pushed my hip and the small of back to the handle vs. pulling the handle in. That might be part of the problem.

rourker 06-15-2007 9:01 AM

No dice. We had a little rough water (tubers!!!!) but my board was everywhere when I was I was in the air on my practice jumps. I still had a fair amount of line tension and when I was close, I didn't have enough pop or speed to go w2w. Need more TOW to get a rhythm and a video. However, I think my biggest problem is trying to hard. Sometimes I think these things just come to you when you're in the right frame of mind. Last night was not it!

helix_rider 06-15-2007 10:32 AM

We're in the same boat Seth...I logically know all the steps to a trick, I can envision the trick executed to perfection in my mind, I get out on the water and all my dreams come to naught. That's what keeps me strapping the board back on...the yearning for progression.

santa 06-18-2007 7:08 PM

Seth, You're probably still edging too hard.

rourker 07-19-2007 6:57 AM

I had to bring this one back to the top because I'm a little peeved. I spent a day at Orlando Water Sports and had a few lessons which were great by the way. I was sticking the 3 w/no problems and taking them bigger than I thought I was. It was a great day!!! Now, I get back to MN and last night I can't even get the handle pass?!?!? I know that wake was a lot bigger in Orlando and the pop I got was big and felt effortless. I'm thinking that having to push for more pop to get W2W is getting me off balance and loading the line. What do you guys think? Is this a change of boat issue?