WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Truck rentals (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799721)

espritv8 08-27-2013 7:45 AM

Truck rentals

Hi,

I'm in the process of buying a new boat. I'm currently looking at one, but it's an 14 hour drive. (28hrs back and forth)

I was thinking of flying in, look at the boat and maybe rent a truck and tow the boat back home and drop the truck there.

Do you know any companies who would rent trucks and allow towing a boat? Could it be done?

Thanks!!

boardman74 08-27-2013 11:54 AM

I know Uhaul, budget, etc rent truck one way that handle a boat. There one ways are not cheap. Check with the typical car rent places and see if they rent a truck or SUV one way big enough to handle the boat. Make sure you ask about hitches as they may not have them on purpose.

I'm guessing as expensive as plane tickets are and the cost of rental truck, its going to cost way more than just driving your truck both ways. But those are the places I would check.

patrick232 08-27-2013 12:57 PM

Enterprise Rent a Truck will allow you to tow, had one of theirs when our Duramax was in the shop getting a new bed.

Indyxc 08-27-2013 3:23 PM

Enterprise Rent a truck will only usually rent to you under a business account.

Options are

U-Haul and Budget 16 Ft + box truck, makes sure it comes with a hitch receiver.

Enterprise has hitches on their suburbans and tahoes.

Only issue is except U-haul none of them "allow" you to tow with their vehicles. So if you show up at Enterprise and their Tahoe for some reason doesn't have a hitch you're sol.

boardman74 08-27-2013 3:58 PM

That what i figured...only the moving truck are a sure bet for towing. Budget moving trucks all have hitches and they allow towing. I've towed flat bed car haulers twice behind them, but they are spendy.

03suprassv 08-27-2013 5:24 PM

Have you thought about buying a round trip plane ticket and if the boat works out use one of the shipping services. The kind where you put out what you need towed and the distance and people send you quotes. Seems like people on here have had good luck with them.

srock 09-05-2013 4:32 PM

My local Toyota dealer has a rental truck. Go online to find locations.

Indyxc 09-10-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boardman74 (Post 1841550)
That what i figured...only the moving truck are a sure bet for towing. Budget moving trucks all have hitches and they allow towing. I've towed flat bed car haulers twice behind them, but they are spendy.

This isn't exactly true. They allow you to tow their flat bed car hauler behind their truck.

They do not allow you to tow anything else behind it. However, if your insurance covers it, it's on you, so what can they really say once you leave.

Bumpass1 09-10-2013 6:38 PM

Some people on here have had good luck with uship.com. Personally i would drive and get it but i like the excitement of the purchase and the thrill of a roadtrip.