WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   LK Oconee GA or Keowee SC ? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788617)

surffresh 07-04-2011 6:06 AM

LK Oconee GA or Keowee SC ?

We went on vacation a few years ago and took the boat to Lake Keowee and rented an awesome house, the lake was great, huge, clear, deep, it was everything...the bomb. The only problem is that it's a 10 hour plus haul and I was looking at rental options in GA on Lake Oconee and everything looks good there, the lake is full, avg 25ft depth, nice waterfront home rental options and it is only a 6 plus hour haul. My big question is are there any whacky wake / ballast restrictions on Lake Oconee, anyone with some local exp. please chime in. Thanks, Drew

mhunter 07-04-2011 2:07 PM

I was talking to a girl that skis Oconee she said they dont allow any boat that has a head.
I am on Lake Lanier look me up if you come here.

spf2275 07-05-2011 7:07 AM

Oconee has beautiful properties but you have to be careful on the lake. Notorious for having a lot of stumps.

jrich 07-05-2011 9:07 AM

Check out lake hartwell. Much beter out of the two IMO. Just a couple hours north of oconnee

bruizza 07-05-2011 9:17 AM

I have been to Oconee a few times and I absolutely love that lake. It has probably been 5-7 years since I was down there last. There were no restrictions that I know of back then. We did wreck a prop on an unmarked sandbar 500ft off the shore. The boat we were in didn't have a depth gauge so we had no idea the water was getting shallow.

BWB745 07-05-2011 10:52 AM

I used to ride Oconee a while back. I didn't care for it as others have noted the stumps and sandbars, I would look around more.

Maybe I just didn't know the right spots...

tchs22 07-06-2011 8:00 AM

I ride regularly on oconee. Great place with plenty of coves deep enough to ride in. We have had an rz2 with stock ballast plus another 2500lbs before. just stay away from docks. One cove we ride in loves to watch us ride so they are cool with the wake

surffresh 07-07-2011 7:30 AM

Thanks everyone, just say no to stumps. I think I will stick with Keeowee, it averages about 50ft, waterfalls etc.

tktige 07-07-2011 12:41 PM

Just spent the past weekend for 4 days on Keowee and Jocasse for my second time. First one was camping 4 days this past weekend stayed at girlfriends family owned cabin.
They are some great lakes for riding. Keowee got a little busy Saturday so we went to the cliffs up on the northside and had a fantastic day jumping off them and rafting up. I was suprised that I did not see the POPO one time all weekend!!! We partied pretty hard.
The lake is very narrow and was washed out by 11am.

Thursday, Friday, Sunday and Monday we spent on Jocasse. Found flat water every place we looked. Only thing bad was dodging a few kayakers. Rafted up with my girfriends boat at several waterfalls after riding. Jacasee is deep no stumps. Canyon walls covered with trees blocked the wind on every finger.
I think there are 4 boat ramps at Devils Fork State Park with cabins you can rent. No place to leave your boat in the water. We pulled out every night around 7-8pm and went back to my girl friends famlies cabin. The ramps at Jocasse are real nice and everyone at the ramp seemed to know what they were doing every time we put in and pulled out, no WTF at the ramp on busy weekends.