WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through July 28, 2004 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=182262)
-   -   I'm starting to get frustrated (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181693)

jeff_h 07-28-2004 8:03 AM

I have been boarding for two summers and have not been able to get big air, I don't even think what I am getting qualifies as air. I ride behind a 1991 Bayline Capri with a tower. It throwns out a preety good wake so I can't blame it on the boat. Last year we started in late July so i didn't get much riding in. I was able to go across the wake and come back in, egde h/s and t/s. When we started again this year I really wanted to get better. So I tried to ride switch and do sideslides. It was really hard for me to push my board around because it was a 143. So I tried a different board that was a 136. I was doing very well on the 136 but felt that it was a little small. After riding both of these boards I was not getting any air. I think that I got about 8 inches and that was the best that I could do. Last week I purchased a new LF Fusion 139 and LF Alpha bindings. This setup is great it is easy to push around in the water. I can now do sideslides, ride switch (for a little while), do backslides, and get about a foot of air. I have watched the instructional videos and talked to people on how to get more air, but every time I go up the wake I can't get any. I ride at about 22mph is that about right? Please tell me what I can do to get more air.

greenpinky 07-28-2004 8:09 AM

Jeff, I learned behind the exact same boat. Anyway, I believe it is all to do with your technique. If you take a good hard edge into the wake, and stand up good and tall at the wake, you WILL go big. The wake on the Capri tends to fall over a lot, so you won't be getting pro air, but 4 or 5 feet is what we were getting behind that boat. Hard cut, stand tall, and you will go big. Good luck.

rschrock 07-28-2004 8:54 AM

Jeff, I was it the same spot. I wasn't satisfied with the pop off the wake I was getting. I can tell you it's all in technique. We were out one evening trying for the um-teenth time to improve when this guy cruises by doing 180's, 360's, grabs, raleys, etc. He made it look effortless and his cuts seemed slow and not that long. The thing I took away from watching him was how he rode up the wake versus hitting it like a ramp. <BR> <BR>The first time I effectively put this into practice I was astonished. It's (in my opinion) not so much about brute speed slamming the wake as it is riding the wake up into the air. Like it's been said 1,000 times, ride a progressive edge up or all the way through the wake, stand tall as you pop off and keep the handle on your hip for balance. I know saying this and doing this are two totally different things (believe me, do I ever know this), but when it happen's you will have that Ah-Ha moment that your looking for. Keep at it - you'll get it. <BR> <BR>Good luck.

uga33 07-28-2004 10:29 AM

I second all of the above. When I started last year I was very frustrated because I could not get any air nor W2W. I used to cut real far out and would cut real hard back to wake and before I hit the wake I would slow down my cut and flatten out as I hit the wake. This year I finally fiqured it out after millions told me how to do it right. I started cutting out only about 10 to 15 feet and cut in to the wake holding that cut(edge) all the way through. It saved my love for wakeboarding because I was about ready to sell it all. Not to mention I'm about 185lbs and I was trying to ride around 19mph and now I'm riding at about 23mph and that made big difference for me as well. Good Luck and keep trying you will get it!!!!

bdehaan 07-28-2004 11:39 AM

Jeff, my thoughts are most of us have experienced the same frustration. Don't give up though, you'll get it eventually. I'm still working on it as well. Some days I'm blowin it up, and other days I'm like, man I suck. <BR> <BR>A couple of thoughts and pointers that helped me. First, you could first shorten the rope so the clearing the wake is shorter. Second, everyone say's stand tall at the top of the wake; what helped me was to push down on the handle as you leave the wake. This, in essence, gives you the same effect as standing tall at the wake. Third, do not try and skip across the wake like when you're hitting big rollers to stay up. You don't want to skip "across" the wake, you want to hit the wake to go "up". Instead, hit the wake, with weight 40/60 (40 on front foot, 60 on back) at the center of the board. So the center of the board is hitting the wake, not skipping. <BR> <BR>It should go without saying that the most important is what everyone says: progressive edge all the way through the wake, rope tight, etc. My .02 are ways that helped me put into use what everyone was saying. <BR>

jeff_h 07-28-2004 12:00 PM

Thanks a lot. I'll have to just keep at it. I guess that I was just mad because the new board did they same as the old one. I'm going out on the water tonight so I will try to do what you all have said. Thanks again!

hymaeringo 07-28-2004 12:15 PM

yeah man I suggest coming in balls to the wall not thinking about landing it b/c if you havn't jumped wake to wake yet you havn't experieced the "get booted"feeling. So when you do get booted for the first time you will probably be flailing dead sailor style and get worked but at least you will ge tthe feeling and understand for next time. I use the handle about 1/2 through the jump where i can judge whether I'm gonna make it or not to the other side. If you feel like your coming up short pull the handle to give you that little extra nudge to make it to the other side. casing the top of the wake is better than casing the inside. so I suggest cut in hard like everyone said before and then hold the edge into the wake. I like to use the trough of the wake to ride my board down into and compress my knees and then as it rides up the wake on a slight edge pop and release. the board will compress and spring as it was designed to do. another thing to keep in mind....Not many people out there are being inhibited to progress by the technology of the board they ride. when I was up at school my parents called me from the boat show and were about to get me a new 04 parks board I was sooooo happy but called them back and told them not to bc my current byerly is in no way inhibiting my progression yet. I did tell them that my wake size and no tower WERE holding me back though. I sacrificed a parks board but got a 2000SAN. no complaints here and I still love my 02 Byerly.