WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through May 04, 2005 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=227721)
-   -   Vdrive vs Direct Drive (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220410)

______ 04-01-2005 3:00 PM

Hey, <BR>sorry if this sounds stupid, but im kinda new with boats... Whats the differences between direct drive and vdrive? What benefits come with having a Vdrive over a direct drive? <BR>Thanks for the input...

puckinshat 04-01-2005 3:24 PM

dd is where the engine is in the middle of the boat and a straight line from the crankshat, to the tranny, to the drive shaft to the prop. Advantages is a better ski wake and eaisier access to the engine and drive components. <BR> <BR>vdrive is where the engine is the the rear of the boat. From the cranshaft to the tranny is a striaght shot going towards the front of the boat, then after the tranny, it goes to the v-drive unit which then puts the power towards the rear of the boat and into the drive shaft then prop. So the drivetrain looks like a sideways V, thus the term v-drive. The adv of a vdrive is a better wakeboarding wake and more wide open interior. <BR> <BR>Its all personal prefence on which boat you want and what you are going to use it for. I love my DD but have never been behind a v-drive so im not sure which wake is really better. My advice is go test drive what you are thinking of buying, make sure you ride behind it and figure out exactly what you want.

______ 04-01-2005 5:55 PM

Thanks for the <u>great</u> explanation....

toyotafreak 04-02-2005 1:12 AM

With a d-drive, you start with a much better-balanced boat. With the weight more forward in the boat, the power an turning performance is snappier. You'll also be able to craft a really nice wakeboarding wake through the use of sacks. <BR> <BR>The v-drive starts more tail-heavy, so the wake is larger and peakier from the start. It'll require less weight in the rear of the boat to ballast, but you'll need to add some to the front. <BR> <BR>Layout in a v-drive is more cozy, while the d-drive is actually more spacious from the standpoint of separating the groups of people. <BR> <BR>With a skilled friend and an array of sacks, you'll end up with similar wakes either way, but out of the box, the v-drive will be better. <BR> <BR>The general public believes that a v-drive is better for wakeboarding (X-xxxx, VLX, SAN, etc.)

ccraftskierfan 04-02-2005 2:56 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that DD boats are less problematic due to the simplicity of the drive system and cost less to own in the long run (with respect to wear and tear on the drive line).

nlitworld 04-02-2005 3:24 AM

I would have to say I'm more of a fan of V-drive boats. I've always been a sucker for a spacious interior plan without a big ol' motor in the middle of the boat. Plus, with a V-Drive, you get a back sun-deck to the boat perfect for those lazy afternoon naps.

cyclonecj 04-02-2005 7:01 AM

D drives are EASY to do your own maintenance on.

tigejohn21i 04-02-2005 7:24 AM

I have a D-drive, and while I really like the performance, the motor gets in the way. I am constantly climbing over the motor to get to the drivers seat. We usually add an ice chest to the right side (behind the driver's seat) as the ice chest that are built-into the boats are good for sodas etc, but not food. I am looking to sell my d-drive for more space with the V.

ccraftskierfan 04-02-2005 8:41 AM

Ice chest in my DD Wakesetter is plenty large for drinks and food. I've never had to climb over the engine cover, plenty of room to walk around. Actually we use the engine cover as a table (with a towel as protection) to spread out food,snacks, etc. while we are chillaxing.

tigejohn21i 04-02-2005 8:48 AM

Well, I usually have a boat full of people.. and there's no way that I can fit enough drinks or food in the on-board chest. We go to Mohave quite a bit and head out on long rides. I've thought of building a chest into one of the storage compartments.. but I need lots of storage too (we usually bring a towable for the youngens). I think I need a big ass deck boat now that I think of it :-)

toyotafreak 04-02-2005 10:16 AM

Has anybody tried to turn a wake boat into a deck boat?

cwbwakeboarder 04-02-2005 2:21 PM

which boat is the most spacious?

x_star05 04-02-2005 3:50 PM

X-80