WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   plastic culvert pipe (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791745)

cbk_watersports_fergie 02-06-2012 11:15 AM

plastic culvert pipe
I believe thats what it is called. Does anybody know where i can get some of this? I see videos all the time of wakeboarders hitting this stuff as a rail. Its commonly seen in snowboard terrain parks in my area to. So i was wanting to build a wakeboard rail out of it for the summer! Im just not sure where to get it. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

boarditup 02-06-2012 11:31 AM

You are looking for PVC pipe. There are several different thicknesses from SDR 11 through 180. SDR 40 is the most common and can be found at most plumbing supply stores. The thinner stuff - drain pipe that is SDR 11-23 tends to break and crush more - so you get sharp edges. If you can, get SCH 80 or 120 so that is is more durable.

You can also use plastic decking for decks. I use HDPE sheets and attach with SS elevator bolts. HDPE is the same material as a kitchen cutting board. My local supplier is Total Plastics - and they have several branches around the US.

Important tip: Use a router with a round-over bit to shave off sharp edges. I use a 3/8" radius. Elevator bolts can be recessed with a Forsner bit (used for flat bottom holes in wood).

Good Luck.

ndh2o 02-06-2012 12:05 PM

I think he means the 36"+ diameter black corrugated pipe used for culverts, etc...

Farm supply places usually have it. You can check big box places like Tractor Supply Co., but more along the lines of local agri-business suppliers. You can get them in pretty long sections too, if you can transport it.

boarditup 02-06-2012 12:49 PM

That is double-wall culvert. Different stuff. I would not want to hit that at all. It is ABS plastic. If you really want some, call your local road commission and ask where they get theirs from. There is several different grades of the culvert. I have a few short sections hanging around from my lake development.

stephan 02-06-2012 2:10 PM

This thread was created last year and the guy built one. Hope it helps.


cbk_watersports_fergie 02-07-2012 7:53 AM

Thanks for all the help and advice guys! Tractor supply does carry them and I have a good ideal how to make it now. I do have to say now that I've looked into it more into it it's a lot more pricey than you would imagine lol

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 5:55 PM.