WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through August 06, 2007 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=487398)
-   -   Sony XM-RM10 Remote Problems (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475843)

noel 07-15-2007 9:49 PM

I've got a weird issue with both of the Sony XM-RM10 remotes in my 06 VLX. Neither remote will control the head unit, yet the LCDs on both units work and show CD track, radio station, etc. As far as I can tell, there is only one plug from the remotes to the head unit, which must be in since the LCDs are working. I've already reset the head unit several times, but no luck. <BR> <BR>Anyone had this issue?

styk33 07-15-2007 10:26 PM

Sounds like one of your remotes is failed or failing. I have one on my transom and when it gets really wet it will cause the same thing. The only way to fix it immediately (so we can use it the rest of the day) is to unplug the flaky remote. Then turn off the unit and back on. Everything works fine then. Once my rear unit dries out, I can plug it in again and use it.

hamkj 07-16-2007 9:42 AM

Hey guys... I hav4 three of those remotes... The old 10's cannot be used in wet areas... the rubber internal fails and allows water into the remote... It was not recalled but if you talk to Sony.. they will say it had to redesign the the remote.. Hence the 55 was introduced... it works.. and mine is installed below the rub rail and is under water and splashed etc... no failure. <BR> <BR>Dry your old 10's, test them... if they work.. find a dry place to install them.. and get a new 55 in the wet areas.... <BR> <BR>You need a big hole saw!!!! It mounts like a gauge now! <BR> <BR>Good luck!

l1spoogy 07-16-2007 10:59 AM

Noel, <BR> There are 2 wires that go to the head unit from the remotes. One is a small 1/8" mini plug which is used to control the head unit. The other is the unilink control which is a thicker cable. Round on the end with about 4 or 5 connections. This makes the LCD on the remotes work. <BR> <BR>Since the LCD's are working the unilink cable is connected. Find the 1/8" cable for the control and hook it back up to your headunit. <BR> <BR>Since you have 2 controls there will be a "Y" cable connecting them to the head unit. <BR> <BR>This should fix the problem.

biz 07-16-2007 12:27 PM

What David said... make sure the mini plugs are pushed in all the way on all connections. some 'Y' adapters need to have the insulation trimmed away when plugging into the back of the Head unit... i had to do this to make a friends unit work. <BR> <BR>Make sure you use the correct adapter. the mini plugs come in mono and stereo versions (if my memory is correct).

hamkj 07-16-2007 12:36 PM

If any of your remotes is water damaged... none of that stuff will work until they are dried out and working properly again. <BR> <BR>When every you have problems with the remotes.. simply un-plug and plug in again. <BR> <BR>But if it is water damaged.. go buy the new Sony Marine Remote.