WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through September 20, 2005 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=255878)
-   -   bullards bar houseboating (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251144)

maristarrider 08-29-2005 6:29 AM

I rented a houseboat at bullards fot labor day weekend. We have never been to bullards and was hoping someone could suggest places to go on the lake and places to avoid. Where should we park at night? What is the best way to tow a boat behind the houseboat? Thanks for you help.

l1spoogy 08-31-2005 2:31 PM

Robert, <BR> Bullards Bar is a great lake. I have never houseboated there but we do shore camp up there. In fact we will be there this weekend as well with the family. We will be in the Blue and Grey Malibu with the Illusion tower. We will also be with another family with a White and Green Mariah with a tower. If you see us stop and say hi. <BR> <BR>As far as where to camp all I would say is find a cove and tie up. The lake is small enough that you could be in a different cove each night. There is not a lot of gentle shoreline, most of it steep so finding a gentle sloping shoreline may be difficult. They should give you a couple large stakes to tie off. <BR> <BR>There are not any bad spots to speak of. I would make a trip up the Yuba arm and check that it out very nice. You can't take the houseboat it gets really narrow and if you go up far enough very shallow. The Yuba arm is to the left as you leave the marina and get to the main part of the lake. <BR> <BR>Towing the boat is not very difficult. Make sure you use a non stretch rope at least 100 feet long. Always have someone watching it!!! There are some horror stories about boats getting swamped while being towed. Normally Bullards Bar never gets bad enough to worry about that, but its better to be safe than sorry. <BR> <BR>We were there last year on Labor day and it was great not very crowded and great water every day. <BR> <BR>Have fun <BR>

nautiquelover 08-31-2005 3:58 PM

Robert, <BR>Bullards is one of the sickest lakes ever. The only reason it get no pub, is becuz it is in the middle of no where. The water is so clear that it looks like this crazy toxic green form above on the road. Since you are getting a house boat I am assuming that you are launching for the marina rather than the other ramp (I think it's called dark star or dark horse or something) Any ways there are a lot of cool little islands that you can claim all to your self if you need camping spots. Have to get there early to get the best pick. Try to find a cove that will shade the house boat in the afternoon....the sun gets rediculously hot out there. Another secret. Go to bed early and get up to the best butter in Cali. (my opinion) Take a lot of pictures. Last time I went, I was on a trip with the crew from Surf and Skate in Sacramento and we had a blast. I'm getiing jealous just thinking about it. Have fun. The Lake Cops will give you a hard time if you are too loud at night.

wakeboardertj 08-31-2005 8:20 PM

im going there labor day weekend too. i live in auburn and have only gone to rollins but im tired of going there and it being all chopped up. <BR> <BR>look for me out there on sunday monday in a grey and yellow malibu vride with illusion tower. can't miss the black and yellow bimini either. :D

sam8 09-01-2005 9:46 PM

We rented last weekend, it was wonderful and there really were not alot of folks. That probably won't be the case this weekend. All the houseboats leave from Emerald Cove, which is at the dam. Dark Day is the other ramp. We launch there if not doing the houseboat thing. <BR>We alays try to tie off in houseboat cove. Leave the marina, go up the lake to the split, go left into the north fork and then steer about 2 o'clock to the beaches. It is a popular spot, get there early. The advantage to beaching there is that there is not alot of traffic from other boats to beat on your tow boat if it is tied off to the houseboat. speaking of that, if you are renting a 15x55, don't tie off your boat at the right rear of the houseboat, that is where the generator exhaust is, you will wind up with some black crud on your boat from it. It comes off easy, but it is ugly. <BR>Don't beach the boat too far, the lake is dropping enough that you will want to push back every morning a couple of feet, or you'll wish you had. Take some easy-ups for the roof, it gets so hot in the daytime that you cannot walk on it without shade. There are lots of other nice places to beach, I suggest sending out a recon team while you chug the houseboat up the lake. <BR>Enjoy... <BR> <BR>(Message edited by sam8 on September 01, 2005)