WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through October 28, 2007 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=517108)
-   -   buying old boat (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=513443)

chris_schweda 10-22-2007 6:01 PM

I may buy an old boat to use for 1 season I found a '84 mastercraft boat is in good shape yet does not have any seats. it looks like someone either took good care of it or was going to restore it. I was planning on putting one of those ballast seats in the back and making new seats in the front. no big deal I ride behind my buddys 00 malibu vdrive yet I want to go everyday and he goes once a week. I will buy a sport nautique or a 210 in a year or so but was wanting to know how the old mastercrafts do for wakeboarding I tried a search and found nothing thanks for input is there a old boat buyers guide?

sinkoumn 10-22-2007 6:21 PM

What model?

chris_schweda 10-22-2007 6:28 PM

i do not know it was a 84 mastercraft closed bow

crack 10-22-2007 6:32 PM

If it's a good deal than just go for it, as long as it gets you on the water whocares, ya know. We've been riding a '67 Delta for a couple years now, and it ain't nothin great, but at least it's a boat that works.

chris_schweda 10-22-2007 6:48 PM

I can get for about 2500 I saw a old post with what old boats were good and I can not find it <BR> <BR>(Message edited by chris_schweda on October 22, 2007)

jagger 10-22-2007 10:03 PM

Old boats are great to get you on the water, but maitnence is usually a little more intensive and arise more often. <BR> <BR>It helps if you are handy

soundbox 10-22-2007 11:21 PM

I have found that in older boats that buying one in good mechanical condition is much better than buying one that looks nice. Any boat you have the chance to redo the seats and carpet in is a much better buy in most cases. You can get a better deal on a boat with torn and weathered seats because thats the first thing that people see and they walk away. Make sure its good everywhere else before you buy and have a winter project of buffing gel coat and redoing the upholstery or having it redone. IMO

soundbox 10-22-2007 11:22 PM

Oh.. And make sure you check for floor rot!!!!

denverd1 10-23-2007 7:30 AM

Mastercraft was the first the stop using wood. Not sure about '84

chaser 10-23-2007 7:56 AM

I have a friend who has an early to mid 80's stars and stripes closed bow direct drive. He has replaced the back seat with a large sac and has a couple sacs up under the bow. Makes a pretty nice wake.

coldlake 10-23-2007 8:37 AM

If you end up putting some time and money into restoration, you could come out well ahead on the deal if you find the right places to sell it when you are through, and can wait for the right buyer. Poke around at used prices, and see what they are selling for in varying degrees of restoration. There was a "perfect" 85 that sold for well over $11K on ebay a month or 2 back IIRC.

oldschoolmalibu 10-23-2007 11:03 AM

Check the stringers. Shake the motor with your hand and see if it gives, rev the motor with the motor cover up and watch it "torque" to see if the motor moves. If it does, the stringers are weak and rotting and there may be more work there than you want to deal with. Also check the ski pylon and check the bolts in the braces on that to see if they are rotten.

trace 10-23-2007 12:10 PM

I believe 1985 was the first year MC eliminated wood from their structural designs. They did continue to use wood up through at least 1992 for non-structural items like removable floor sections, coaming pads, etc.

chris_schweda 10-24-2007 5:57 PM

the main thing i am worried about is the wake I all ready have 2 boats none with a good wake