WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Bias Ply trailer tire ? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796121)

Paul94551 11-06-2012 3:27 PM

Bias Ply trailer tire ?

Last year, around this time I put 4 brand new tires on the trailer, they were bias ply tires. I can't remember why, I assume my tire guy recommended them.
Anyway after having my boat and trailer serviced the tires are already cupping, wearing on the outsides and are out of round causing the trailer to bounce. The tire guy wants me to 'align' the trailer before he'll replace the tires. To my knowledge there are no adjustments to be made on the trailer (DHM) and internet searches show no such alignment service. Has anyone else seen this before? My boat guy says to repalce them with trailer radials, which I will, just sucks that these tires only have about 300 miles or less on them. Any advise?

boardman74 11-06-2012 3:43 PM

I had a single axle trailer that cupped tires. If i remember right it was something to do with tire pressure and not alignment.

rallyart 11-07-2012 7:19 AM

Wearing the outside edges so they are cupping is usually alignment. They bend the axle if there is no adjustment. It matters on double axles especially and some on singles. Balance can cause irregular cupping. Pressure can cause early tire wear which can include cupping.

psudy 11-07-2012 7:41 AM

I had new tires put on my motorhome years ago and went with the cheapest I could find, not realizing they were not radials. That thing would bounce soooooo hard it would knock stuff out of the cabinets until they warmed up. I took it back right away and got better tires before it destroyed the camper.

DealsGapCobra 11-07-2012 8:47 AM

It can't hurt to have it checked.

FYI - My last set of tires were great until I moved into a new place that required a sharp 90 degree turn to back the trailer in the garage. It took almost no time for the tires on the rear axle to cup...so it might have something to do with how you use it.

dfred 11-07-2012 9:21 AM

I doubt it has anythign to do wth the tires. This sounds like what happened to me this summer, most likely you have a bent axel on the trailer. It really doesnt take much to bend a torsion axel trailer, big pot hole in my case, or a curb check at the right angle.
Look under the trailer at the "gaps" betwen the solid axel and the spindle if its bent you will see a diffrence in the gap. Also look at the alignment of the fron to rear tires, if they look twisted its not a good sign.
I've run Bias and Radial both on my Boatmate and my old Mastercraft trailers, other than the Bias bouncing a little more I really have seen no difference in wear and tear.

boardman74 11-07-2012 11:00 AM

David has a valid point. You probably have an issue and it's not just the tires. Tandems bring more things into the mix than a single.