WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   algae on swim platform - how do you get this off? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795103)

greg_smith 08-17-2012 7:33 AM

algae on swim platform - how do you get this off?

Hey there,

So like any new boat owner, I'm having to learn all the little things. With the fat sacs in the back of my boat, the swim platform sits under water. So, some algae has gotten on there. It's hard to believe how slippery the wood platform becomes when there's a good amount of algae on there. It is literally as bad as an ice rink! Anyways, the majority comes off with just a scrub brush. However, there is some that is caked on there really really good. I was wondering what the best way to get this off would be. In the past, we've used hydro-chloric acid to get the algae off the side of the boat hull. I'm guessing this acid would not be a good idea to use on the wood though. So, what does everyone use to get this off that you know is safe for the wood?

boarditup 08-17-2012 8:40 AM

Get some Teak Cleaner and scrub with a brush.... It is a mild acid. Iron Out is another mild acid when mixed with water that will work well. You can also use bleach, but not right after the acid.

Seal your platform with a teak treatment and it will be easier next time.

greg_smith 08-17-2012 9:13 AM

Thanks man. Where can I get this Teak Cleaner? Home Hardware or something??

Teak Oil would seal the platform, no?? Also, my platform is looking pretty faded. Once I get the algae taken care of, what is the best thing to restore the wood platform? Teak Oil, or some kind of stain???

CobraRob 08-17-2012 9:30 AM

Power washer?

beerguy 08-17-2012 10:25 AM

I just refinished our teak deck and it came out nice. I didn't have to clean it much so can't help with the algae question, but once you get it clean this seems to be a really good way to refinish it.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...&postcount=240

I just did ours a couple of weeks ago so can't attest to how long it will stay this way but so far so good.

greg_smith 08-17-2012 12:38 PM

Linseed oil and mineral spirits eh? I might have to give that a shot, thanks!!

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys use to clean your boat hulls (other than hydro-chloric acid)?

816 08-18-2012 4:54 AM

hull cleaning

Liquid draino from dollar general store and water mixed 50-50 in a spray bottle, works like a champ! To clean the interior we use "Totally Awesome cleaner", also from dollar store. We have tried several different types of cleaners that were pretty pricey and this stuff has worked better than any of them by far. Make sure not to let the cleaner soak on the hull more than a few minutes.

chpthril 08-18-2012 8:09 AM

Pressure wash, then soak with a teak cleaner/prep, scrub, pressure wash again, let dry, then coat with teak oil until it stops soaking it up. The trick to cleaning a boat that sits in the water is to pressure wash it as soon as it comes out of the water. If the scum is allowed to dry, it really becomes a bi-atch to get off. To clean the stain, I have had good luck with Marykate On&Off and Starbrite Hull Cleaner.

greg_smith 08-20-2012 5:23 AM

So I ended up going to Home Hardware yesterday and picking up a 2-step Teak Cleaner. This did the job fine. Like chpthril said, it was a b-iatch to get off though. It was in pretty rough shape! The scum was caked on there pretty good. The platform actually looked white after all this scum dried. I probably worked on it for an hour.

My complaint is though that this stuff is really expensive. It was roughly $30 for the Teak Cleaner from Home Hardware. And although it did a nice job, it wasn't as nice as good as the linseed oil/mineral spirits that were used on some of the pictures that were posted here. Anyways, I was just in a rush and wanted to get it done, so I just grabbed it. In the future I would definitely want a cheaper solution if I'm going to be doing this a few times a year.

I wonder if a diluted hydro-chloric acid mixture would be okay for the wood?????

greg_smith 08-20-2012 5:28 AM

Another question..... I have a galvinized trailer now. We've always used hyrdo-chloric acid to clean the hull of our boat, but this is before we had a galvinized trailer. If I use the hydro-chloric acid again this year, it's obviously going to get on the trailer a bit. Is this okay???

xstarrider 08-20-2012 8:15 AM

Here is also something to think about. I use the product Sikkens on my teak. It's like a sealer, I only have to refinish my teak once every 2 seasons. It would help prevent the algae on the actual teak and would make cleaning a breeze.

It's available at any west marine

greg_smith 08-20-2012 9:59 AM

Yep, we have Sikken's here too! Which product exactly did you use?

Do people have this same algae problem with fibreglass swim platforms with the rubber matting?? Is putting rubber matting down over the teak another solution to this problem?

greg_smith 08-21-2012 8:20 AM

?????

hco 08-21-2012 8:52 AM

Taking care of the teak is your issue, you need to sand it down, make sure the teak dries thoroughly, and then go through with a 2 or 3 step teak cleaner and stainer to help keep it fresh. Need to do this a few times a summer if your boat is moored/at a slip

greg_smith 08-22-2012 5:22 AM

Yep, it's starting to look like teak is going to be a bit of work to maintain. That's why I ask if people with fibreglass swim platforms and rubber matting have this problem with algae.

hco 08-22-2012 6:26 AM

The algae can be scrubbed off with much less effort off of a fiberglass platform & mat, but know that algae can and will still grow on anything that sits in the water for that long.

greg_smith 08-22-2012 6:48 AM

Thanks Dan! That's a good thing to keep in mind than.

Also, do you know if all these teak cleaners, and hydrochloric acid are safe to use with a galvinized trailer??

hco 08-22-2012 9:08 AM

The teak cleaners arent strong enough to do damage, however I would make an effort to not let the acid sit on your trailer for long. Another thing that people should realize is that when you are acid washing your boat, you do not need 100% acid. You can water down the acid to 50-50 and sometimes more (depending on how much boat scum) and still end up with a white and clean hull.

norcalrider 08-22-2012 3:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hco (Post 1777628)
The teak cleaners arent strong enough to do damage, however I would make an effort to not let the acid sit on your trailer for long. Another thing that people should realize is that when you are acid washing your boat, you do not need 100% acid. You can water down the acid to 50-50 and sometimes more (depending on how much boat scum) and still end up with a white and clean hull.

Consider wetting down the trailer first...

xstarrider 08-22-2012 3:30 PM

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ct.do?pid=6756

I like the natural teak color for my lighter colored boat.

Here are some shots of the finished product. Scroll down towards bottom

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...=14640&page=11

greg_smith 08-24-2012 3:54 AM

Great info! Thanks guys.

ReSession 08-24-2012 4:21 AM

Greg - my first boat had a teak platform and I would sand it down and repaint it every year...year #2, I learned about Interlux Intergrip, a non-skid polymer additive that is mixed in with the Sikkens teak stain (which I recommend as well) > now, this stuff won't necessarily stop algae from growing, BUT it will provide a 'grip tape' surface that reduces your chances of slipping! I believe sailboats have the same stuff added to their deck paint?

We wakesurfed all the time, and when the boat would list...the teak deck would turn into a hazardous slide! Mixing in some Interlux Intergrip did the trick. You can add more/less, depending on how much grip you're looking for. I moored my boat, so algae grew much easier...I just made sure to always scrub it down with a nylon-bristled brush.