WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Has this boat motor seen salt water? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791635)

JoLo_Si 01-28-2012 6:33 AM

Has this boat motor seen salt water?

4 Attachment(s)
Has this '85 SN2001 motor been in salt water, I have no experience with it myself.

It has a monster tower, plumbed custom hard ballast tank, perfect pass and a near new interior for 6.5K? If it's been in salt should I go for 4K or just let it go?

snork 01-28-2012 6:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoLo_Si (Post 1728530)
Has this '85 SN2001 motor been in salt water, I have no experience with it myself.

It has a monster tower, plumbed custom hard ballast tank, perfect pass and a near new interior for 6.5K? If it's been in salt should I go for 4K or just let it go?

Looks like it could use some pepper:D
If the engine was flushed with fresh water after every use it could be ok
How many hours?

JoLo_Si 01-28-2012 7:04 AM

I don't know the hours?

nautiquesonly 01-28-2012 8:43 AM

Is that the original trailer? If it is and its made of steel tube it would more than likely be pretty bad if it had been in salt. To me the engine looks a little rough. Is it a Florida boat? That corrosion could be from salt in the air alone even if boat wasn't was not used in salt. Personally I think the trailer should tell u what you need to know based on its condition if its original. I don't have a lot of experience with salt. That aside, the interior looks great.

diamonddad 01-28-2012 9:47 AM

That 26 year old boat makes a great wake on very little fuel.

The alternator looks worked but that should be easy to replace if needed. How does it run?

snork 01-28-2012 10:19 AM

Interior is not original, carpet been replaced and the throttle knob is missing that Nauti 2001 has tuns of wood in it I'd be real cautious you might as well throw 6 grand in the wind

cadunkle 01-28-2012 2:56 PM

Looks like the original trailer, if so I'd doubt it's been in salt much. Even if it has been in salt but was maintained, no worries. Engine doesn't look real bad. With a SN2001 your concern is stringers. Try to lightly tighten all the motor mount and trans mount bolts. If they all feel tight and bite the stringers, you're probably fine for quite a while. If any are loose or fall out, check wood. It's probably wet and rotted. In that case you have a $2k-$3k projects ahead of you if you do it yourself or twice that for someone else to do it. If you can do it yourself, use it as bargaining to get the boat for really cheap. If you can't do the work yourself, find another boat.

JoLo_Si 01-28-2012 3:01 PM

The only things I'm worried about are the floor and the engine. I'm thinking anything below 5k is a good deal with everything else it has going for it.

john211 01-28-2012 4:18 PM

What are those two plates for, that are bolted to the pylon? I noticed them in the bottom picture, and then saw that I can see them better in left lower corner of the first picture.

About the engine, and I am no expert but, the right side (starboard, left in the middle view) seems freer of corrosion than the left. Look at that valve covers. Look at that alternator.

snork 01-28-2012 6:30 PM

Jonathan its for a Barefoot boom

kko13 01-29-2012 9:24 AM

Thats not salt. That just looks like a boat thats been sitting up. When I bought my boat it looked the same way. A little TLC and some use it will be fine. Good luck in making a deal it lookslike a great boat for the price.

Laker1234 01-29-2012 12:18 PM

I agree with Kevin. If you store a boat with the motor cover down, especially if you leave the plug in, condemsation will build. However, the stringers are likely to be bad. I'd take the floor up and remove the back plate where the gas tank is to check for wood rot. If possible, take a small drill bit and drill tiny holes. That's the \best way to check for rot, but be sure to reseal the hole with resin. You may also try tapping on the fiberglass and listen for a dead sound and if you feel no vibration on the fiberglass while tapping--place your fingers about 7 inches down while tapping--you should be okay. Like stated above, that boat will run on half the gasoline than a new one. Even if you have to do some work, 4g would be an excellent price.

denverd1 01-30-2012 1:17 PM

yes!!! see the oxidization the alt and around the carb???

Although, it may not be a deal killer. If maintained and serviced regularly, saltwater inboards can run for a very long time.