WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Any boat owners in Oregon? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785961)

tyler97217 02-16-2011 5:25 PM

Any boat owners in Oregon?

As some may know we have been losing more and more stretches of our waterway. The Marine Board has been turning them into "no wake zones" and not allowing and "WED's" (wake enhancing devices).
We lost the battle on one of the most frequented stretches in Oregon and the second most popular spot is up now too. If you are in the area and can show up it would be a huge support.

Reminder to please make the meeting tomorrow and show your support. We want to all stand together and show that WE SUPPORT OPTION 2. This is for increased education. Boaters and Paddlers could all benefit from further education.

Date: February 17, 2011
Time: 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm

kenteck 02-17-2011 8:31 AM

Diggs...
what water way are they trying to change now? and where is the Auditorium at? downtown?
thanks
ken

tyler97217 02-17-2011 8:42 AM

Yes downtown. Here is the address. Portland Building Auditorium, 1120 SW Fifth Ave, Portland OR
They are trying to take the area behind Ross Island. The best place in downtown Portland.
Spread the word and hope you can make it.

kenteck 02-17-2011 9:03 AM

the problem i see happening is since they started the first one and now trying to pass this one is, they are going to try other spots as well and they will keep going until there is no more places to ride, they have so many other issues that need to be addressed than this... i have no respect for any city council member or marine board, they have way to much control.

lionel 02-17-2011 9:25 AM

I spoke with Diggs and I can't make it tonight, but can someone bring up the fact that maybe the State Marine board should give us a DEDICATED place to ride instead of taking all of the quality water away......

ixfe 02-17-2011 9:46 AM

^^^ I'm not sure I like that idea. It would make every wakeboard/waterski enthusiast go to the same area. Don't get me wrong, I like you guys, but I like flat water better! :D

lionel 02-17-2011 10:21 AM

^^ It can be miles of waterway :) Might be all that we have left if we continue down this path....

ixfe 02-17-2011 3:06 PM

^^ I hear ya... I think we should get the falls all the way up to Neberg. The paddlers can have the entire lower Willamette, except the Holgate, we get that too!

Kidding of course. I agree that option 2 (education) is the best outcome for all involved.

CobraRob 02-17-2011 10:14 PM

I went to the last meeting in Wilsonville area. Was useless, it was about 1000-1 there was not nearly enough room. There was even accredited researchers pointing out a study had not been done. Hell the only negitive comment had nothing to do with WED or anything other than she 'didn't want to look out her window and see a wakeboarder peeing in the morning'

Yet the board obviously did not care. Couldn't make this meeting since I am in Korea right now anyway.

They even want to shut off the Ross island cove to all boats.... No one even really rides there since 2 minutes of riding there and it's a washtub from the bounce.. We just go there to tie up..

ixfe 02-17-2011 10:44 PM

Rob... I live in Sherwood too. Which boat is yours? Have I seen you at Rogers Landing?

tnvolgrad 02-18-2011 6:03 AM

Does anyone know the outcome of the meeting? This is really unfortunate, but not surprising given it is Portland Oregon - the only city to declare class warfare via taxation during a recession, to still have an openly gay mayor who clearly should of been thrown out of office after the underage teen incident, and a city who majors in the minors regarding anything related to politics (e.g. CobraRob's comments are great examples).

It would be great to fight this from an economic point of view - I have not attended the meetings, however it seems that arguing/debating whether or not wakes do environmental damage and all that blah blah may be pointless. Perhaps a better position to take would be from the impact it would have on jobs and the local economy.

If we think about all the boat shows, dealers, repair shops,park fees,aftermarket industries,and all the other associated segments (e.g. Fuel, tires, car sales, etc) - I would dare to venture the continued impact of taking waterways away has a pretty substantial impact on the local Portland economy. Does anyone know who is leading this from the boat industry? Based on Cobra's response it appears no one is representing the industry or are far under resourced. I would not mind getting engaged from a business point of view and joining the fight.

Thanks for the post.

tyler97217 02-18-2011 8:43 AM

The meeting was heartbreaking last night. We lost the battle once again.
Portland politics at its finest. It is the new "Windy City".
The opposition actually is conveying the economic impact of being the kayak friendly city...... This has been one of the most popular areas in Oregon for waters ports for over 50+ years!
It was a discouraging night and still discouraged. Most local and national "boat industry" has stayed out of the battle unfortunately, but this better be an eye opener for them. This will spread and they will see their business dwindle. This is the area I use exclusively and have honestly considered cancelling my order on my new boat and many will follow. Next step is to get the industry involved..... Much more to come on this topic, but for now I will continue to be in a funk....

carter13 02-18-2011 9:04 PM

One less dealership. http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/boa/2211084156.html

CobraRob 03-17-2011 2:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnvolgrad (Post 1660926)
Does anyone know the outcome of the meeting? This is really unfortunate, but not surprising given it is Portland Oregon - the only city to declare class warfare via taxation during a recession, to still have an openly gay mayor who clearly should of been thrown out of office after the underage teen incident, and a city who majors in the minors regarding anything related to politics (e.g. CobraRob's comments are great examples).

It would be great to fight this from an economic point of view - I have not attended the meetings, however it seems that arguing/debating whether or not wakes do environmental damage and all that blah blah may be pointless. Perhaps a better position to take would be from the impact it would have on jobs and the local economy.

If we think about all the boat shows, dealers, repair shops,park fees,aftermarket industries,and all the other associated segments (e.g. Fuel, tires, car sales, etc) - I would dare to venture the continued impact of taking waterways away has a pretty substantial impact on the local Portland economy. Does anyone know who is leading this from the boat industry? Based on Cobra's response it appears no one is representing the industry or are far under resourced. I would not mind getting engaged from a business point of view and joining the fight.

Thanks for the post.

Probably not we almost always go to Willamate Park. Its a black and white Mastercraft X-45.

Josh, At the meeting I went to there was dealers explaining how it was going to hurt local business. There was also many home owners from the river explaining how it was going to have a drastic affect on their housing prices if the use on the river is restricted, in addition they bought the house to use it for river.

As far as revenue the state collects much more from the boat owners. I have no problem paying for my boat tags which goes to the state in addition to the parking fees at Willamate park. Most of the paddle people are not paying any of this and not generating any revenue.

It's a tough battle as it seems logic is not being considered in any of the decisions.

chexi 03-17-2011 2:24 PM

I wish the trees would hug the treehuggers back. Trees are not very smart, and would probably crush them.