WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Video and Photography (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87667)
-   -   Gopro + editing + apple + ipad???>? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786191)

stuey 03-02-2011 7:45 PM

Gopro + editing + apple + ipad???>?

I'm a little new to videoing world so excuse my ignorance...

Got a gopro HD. love it... be using it for lots of snowboarding so far and can't wait to use it on the water this summer.

Problem is, my PC is a few years old and doesn't seem to be capable enough to edit video... takes me forever. I also don't really know what I'm doing (was just trying windows movie maker).

I have some friends with Apples and it seems so easy with imovie. I don't really need or want to buy a whole new computer JUST for the sake of video editing, but I'm seeing on the ipad 2 they will come with imovie.

So my question is... is Gopro files compatible with Apple & Ipad? Like could I just take the footage, upload to an ipad with the USB camera adapter? Then I could just use the imovie software to edit?

I am only doing this for personal use so I don't really want to get into the more advanced editing features and all that jazz. Just want to cut and edit some cool vids for fun and put them to music.

Am I crazy? Or am I just making an excuse to go buy a new ipad? lol..

Thanks for your help..

skull 03-03-2011 2:22 PM

When using a Go Pro you need to take the files from the Go Pro onto the hard drive, THEN into iMovie. If you go directly from the SD card to iMovie only 1/2 of the clip will be visible. This is a known problem with Go Pro and iMovie (not sure when software you are using).

gotwake133 03-07-2011 9:36 AM

I had no problems putting in my videos from the go-pro straight into imove from SD card.

stuey 03-07-2011 9:36 PM

So if I have the card reader attachment , I should just be able to import them right into the ipad? If all else fails I could upload to my PC then transfer them to the ipad with itunes... that's how I view all my vids now.

How is Imovie to edit? Is it as easy as I hear ?

ilikebeaverandboats 03-07-2011 10:44 PM

dude you just gave me an excuse to want one......damn!

gotwake133 03-08-2011 2:04 PM

iMovie is great, super easy to work with. not sure how it will be on an ipad though.

stuey 03-09-2011 9:39 AM

Sweet thanks for the help... looks like I'll be making my way to the apple store next week, I'll see if I can try first hand with the Ipad. I figure with the wireless keyboard and my finger as a mouse it should be just as easy on there as a normal laptop?? We shall see!

flattirenotube 03-09-2011 11:41 AM

I've got a 13" macbook, and the only thing that I find myself wanting is a larger screen. That is really the only downfall to the iPad in my opinion. Other than that iMovie is great, although it won't support the 60 fps filming.

gotwake133 03-09-2011 12:07 PM

The screen size might be an issue, I went from a 13 inch macbook to a 15inch macbook pro and the screen size has made a huge difference. Going into the apple store and playing with an ipad will be your best bet to see if it will work for you!

stuey 03-10-2011 1:17 PM

Yeah will do... will head down this weekend and check em out. I don't think the screen size would be a problem, I'm really not trying to be a professional, just for fun. I'm hoping it will do the job

At least the ipad2 has video out capabilities now.. not sure if its compatible with imovie but you can show whatever movies or pictures with wired or wirelessly to your tv now. I'm sure editing on a 50" lcd while sitting on my couch would be sweet! lol..