WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Surgery Thrusday (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783577)

wakesetter_WW 09-14-2010 11:32 AM

Surgery Thrusday

Nervous about my ACL reconstruction surgery this Thursday. Doc told me I could be put under Anesthesia or there was a different method that I could stay awake but not feel anything. Still not sure which one I am going with. Any advice or experience with either.

09-14-2010 11:38 AM

Go to sleep man...no reason not to

kyle_L 09-14-2010 11:39 AM

i would go with general, we had two patients do ACL's under spinal yesterday and one of them seemed not out of it enough. You also aren't paralyzed so the chances of you twitching and the doctor making a mistake are there. General, you just wake up and its over. It has become one of the safest things you can do in medicine. Under spinal unless they load you on the propofol you are going to hear everything going on which could be traumatizing in an OR setting.

texastbird 09-14-2010 11:52 AM

I was more nervous about the anesthesia than the procedure when I had my surgery last Nov. When I woke up both had gone fine. You don;t want to be awake when they start cranking on stuff - take the knockout.

mdaijogo 09-14-2010 12:10 PM

I got the spinal when they were clean out the patella last year. They gave me something else and I was sleeping. I woke up numb waist down. They didn't release me from the hospital until I was able to pee.

m-

cccbuilders 09-14-2010 12:23 PM

go out......and get the nerve blocker....just got my shoulder done and it was numb for two days........

mikebu 09-14-2010 1:10 PM

Just don't use this guy to put yourself under:

Good luck on your surgery. The key to recovering from the ACL is to work hard with your rehab...

lyle 09-14-2010 1:16 PM

Dude, just had mine done two months ago.. Got the nerve blocker and went to sleep.. Man, it was actually an enjoyable experience.. No pain till after i got home two days later.. I would highly recommend that option.. .02

jtnz 09-14-2010 8:34 PM

I'd get the general as well, went under for my shoulder surgery, don't even remember the recovery room but apparently I was awake then. First thing I remember is being back in my room watching baseball.

wakesetter_WW 09-14-2010 8:42 PM

I'm going to go with the general. Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

supersonicmi 09-14-2010 9:13 PM

just had my ankle done. go with general, get knocked out. by the time you wake up it will be long over. i didn't remember the recover room either. definately the way to go. one thing to note is that when you come to, you will prob not feel much in that area still... it will be hours later till the pain/sorenes really starts to kick in so make sure to take the meds they give you ;)

gene3x 09-15-2010 11:23 AM

My second ACL is next wednesday. not looking forward to the process...

antihero1 09-15-2010 1:54 PM

Here may be some fans of releasable bindings!

somebuddy 09-15-2010 1:58 PM

Kyle, what do you do if you don't mind me asking?

wakesetter_WW 09-16-2010 3:14 PM

Surgery was this morning. Everything went well. Now its time to take lots of med and begin rehab Monday. Thanks for all the advice and for sharing your experiences.

aliwake 09-16-2010 3:42 PM

Hey Parker, the good news is it only gets better from here! take it easy while you can.

kyle_L 09-16-2010 5:32 PM

just finishing up my 4th year of med school. trying to get an ortho residency so i have rotated a lot in ortho and currently am doing one now. we have two acl's on the books for tomorrow, could be a long day

kyle_L 09-16-2010 5:36 PM

On wed we had a guy choose spinal for a total knee and he was punching my back during the entire procedure. awake or not, his body didn't seem happy. general is so safe now that there is no reason to do anything else