WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Going Flex- recoil or severance? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780443)

Reez 06-10-2010 6:08 AM

Going Flex- recoil or severance?

Reviews of these boards seem pretty similar. Anyone ridden both and can tell me the advantages of one over there other? I have found some cheaper severances online which is leaning me that way. I like a 3 stage but it isnt a must have so any other suggestions will be welcomed.

skiboarder 06-10-2010 7:15 AM

I've ridden both, but ride a Severance 138. They are very similar shapes (recoil is a hair wider). The key difference between the two for me was that the Severance was considerably stiffer between the boots (they are the same on the ends).

The recoil was a little different off the wake--kinda dumpy. The Severance snapped much harder.

On the rails and buttering across the lake, (I've only ridden the recoil on rails) the slingshot and company boards were very similar.

If you have a deal on the severance--I would recommend it.

tampawake 06-10-2010 2:10 PM

Bob I am selling a 2010 Recoil in the classifieds only selling because I got a free board from a friend that got sponsored. I loved my Recoil was great behind the boat in fact never made it to the rails with it.

steezyshots 06-10-2010 2:41 PM

Get the Severance!

Reez 06-10-2010 5:51 PM

well i pulled the trigger on the severance, I got a good deal on it and I ride alot of wake, but now that placid is up and running Im going to start riding cable, I'm psyched. People say it takes a few runs to adapt to flex on wake. Is it the pop or timing leaving the wake?

skiboarder 06-10-2010 6:14 PM

On the severance, don't change a thing. Just grip it and rip it.

It does like a little shorter approach, but that is true with most any 3-stage board.

cheesydog 06-10-2010 7:51 PM

If you ride cable i would reccomend taking the fins off even tho it will be loose as all hell. I used to ride company at cable and when the fins catch, because the fins company make are so damn strong, instead of just snapping, it damn near ripped my board in half! Happened on 2 occasions. Otherwise its a sick obstacle board, lots of fun to press on the rails.

jondextan 06-11-2010 9:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesydog (Post 1595680)
If you ride cable i would reccomend taking the fins off even tho it will be loose as all hell.

amen to that! it's much more fun without the fins!

hyperlite 06-11-2010 9:17 AM

Yeah...simialr shapes though

landowakettu 06-14-2010 1:14 PM

Just wondering what size of board you went with Justin, Im kind of torn between the 138 and the 142, I know most people say go up a size but the 138 seems a little stiffer than the 142, of course some of that is from the size difference of the boards. Im 5' 9" 155 lbs.

skiboarder 06-14-2010 2:22 PM

I ride the 138 and I am about your size exactly (5-9, 160), but my wife is an advanced rider and she rides the 138 too(5-5, 130lbs). My wife sizes up, but I don't.

Truthfully, I was torn too, but settled on the 138. No really good reason other than I usually ride a board around a 138. If you usually ride around a 138--you should stick with it for the Company. I would not size-up just because the board has a little flex.