WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through June 10, 2005 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=234701)
-   -   Problem Starting Mastercraft (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226715)

masterwake 05-03-2005 4:45 PM

I put the boat in and it starts up fine. Cruise down the lake, stop to fill ballasts or chill and when I try to start the boat it will not attempt to turn over. All of the accessories come on, and the volts read great at 12+. The closest thing that I can compare it to is when you kill the ignition while the boat is still in drive and then try to restart it but nothing happens because it is not in neutral. <BR> <BR>This has happened three times and each time it will eventually start after repeated attempts. <BR> <BR>I replaced the alternator and battery and the problem persists. The boat is a 99' Mastercraft Maristar 230. <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR>

heirborn 05-03-2005 6:30 PM

Do you hear any clicking? I had a similar problem and ended up tracing it down the the starter slave solinoid (sp?).

powaman 05-03-2005 6:31 PM

Hmm could it be your lanyard coming off? I know we had this problem, the lanyard wasn't fully clipped then we noticed that it wasn't "buzzing/beeping" when the key was int he on position. <BR> <BR>Otherwise when you mean it will not attempt to turn over do you mean that the starter is turning but the boat will not start? Or do you mean that the starter doesn't do anything? Your ignition switch could be getting warn out also. But please give us some more info and we'll be able to help you out some more.

masterwake 05-03-2005 7:15 PM

There was clicking before I replaced the alternator/battery but I have not heard any since. <BR> <BR> <BR>Now when you turn the key in the ignition to start the boat all of the accessories come on but there is no clicking and the motor makes no attempt to turn over whatsoever-it is silent. <BR> <BR>I failed to mention in my previous post that I recently replaced the ignition as well . . .boat acronym = }}Bust Out Another Thousand . . .

greenthumb 05-03-2005 7:23 PM

I agree with Heirborn, this may sound really stupid and stereotypical, but here in Canada we play a lot of hockey.....I used to work for a hockey ring that had this one Zamboni (ice resurfacer) that didnt start and it had the same symtoms you are mentioning. It was the selinoid(sp?) and after tapping it with the back of a screwdriver, it always turned over. It's not your battery or alternator, which you already knew......I would say it's a selinoid.

colorider 05-03-2005 7:34 PM

I had the same prob with mine a few years ago. I on the engine, toward the rear there are a couple of wires held to something on the block with screws. I tightened them up (while the MC mechanic was on the phone with me) and it fixed the problem. Sorry I can't be more specific, but you will see the wires when you look. I do believe the wires are red and yellow.

bmh2208 05-03-2005 7:39 PM

It could be that the neutral safety switch is not engaging correctly. My '77 CC used to do the same thing and I would gently rock the throttle back and forth slightly to make it centered, and then it would start. Same exact symptoms, nothing happened when I turned the key. Those transmissions have a VERY small travel limit to get it in the right position...like 1/8" of travel.

mimafour 05-03-2005 7:49 PM

i had a pick up with a new rebuilt starter. about very 2-3 starts the solenoid would leave it self in a positon that was basically a dead spot on the solenoid. replaced the starter and it never happened again. just one possibility.

masterwake 05-03-2005 9:20 PM

colorider-it sounds to me like you are talking about the alternator-I will definately check that out-the guys at MC told me (without looking at it) that it may be a loose wire on the alternator or starter. <BR> <BR>bmh2208-the neutral safety switch was what immediately came to my mind because the problem is similar to trying to start the boat out of neutral. <BR> <BR>One more thought-every time that I have managed to finally get it started it has been done so by running the throttle from forward-neutral-reverse etc. for a while (as well as tapping on it with a buoey) <BR> <BR>the solenoid seems like a likely candidate too . . .

phall925 05-03-2005 9:23 PM

Check make sure the breaker is not flipping. Also I had the same prob with my 205V. When looking at the back of the engine there is a massive plug on the right side mounted to a plate. Best I can describe I am not a mechanic. I jiggled that around and then the boat started. Ususally when those new mastercrafts dont start it is usually not the neutral sensor it is some electrical problem with a minor short. Hard to say. I always find screwing with wires that lead to the starter will work. Wors well in my MC and worked well with my 88 CC 2001

bmh2208 05-04-2005 5:43 PM

I had almost the same symptoms as yours today after changing the starter on my '83 2001. It ended up being one of the wires going from the ignition switch and the corresponding fuse. I had knocked it off and it works. So applying that to you situation, you might have a loose connection somewhere in the ignition circuit.

offdapeggs 05-07-2005 1:29 PM

HEY, <BR>I had this problem with my 2001 maristar 210, the ECU black box under the dash controls some of the electronics and the speedometer runs into that box. There was a recall because it had a leak and the water from the spedo would leak into the control board. What you describe is exactly what happened to me. If you are on the water and unplug that box it should still start. then you know that's the problem. It was frustrating because when i would go to the lake it would start fine, i would drive around stop then it wouldnt start

offdapeggs 05-07-2005 1:30 PM

Let me know if that turns out to be the problem, my dealer fixed mine no charge.

masterwake 05-08-2005 1:46 PM

offdapeggs-thanks for the advice. Your advice about the speedo. brings to mind the fact that my speedo. works sometimes and others not at all. Did you have the same problem before replacing your ECU box?