WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Best wakeboard/snowboard helmet? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800820)

Pannellboy004 01-07-2014 10:08 PM

Best wakeboard/snowboard helmet?

I want to kill two birds with one stone and get a helmet that I can use for both sports... Does anybody have any ideas.. I'm looking for a helmet that will fit comfortable and have decent looks and of course protect me from injuries?? Please give me your opinions

behindtheboat 01-08-2014 6:28 AM

Bern would be my choice, but any good snowboard helmet with a liner won't hold up long getting wet. Triple 8 and others make "shell" type helmets that would work. One big thing to me is ear protection, I could care less how it looks, but companies seem to have quit making options with ear protection in wake helmets. To me ear protection is more likely to come into use than the actual helmet.

wakeworld 01-08-2014 8:04 AM

Although I use a TSG helmet dedicated to snow (Arctic Kraken), my 17-year-old uses my TSG wakeboard helmet and loves it. She uses the TSG Evolution and it's got flaps for your ears (to prevent ear drum impact) that double to keep your ears warm on the slopes. Of course, she uses it on the water when she hits rails too.

behindtheboat 01-08-2014 8:51 AM

TSG looks great! I was not aware of their options.

Pannellboy004 01-08-2014 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeworld (Post 1858574)
Although I use a TSG helmet dedicated to snow (Arctic Kraken), my 17-year-old uses my TSG wakeboard helmet and loves it. She uses the TSG Evolution and it's got flaps for your ears (to prevent ear drum impact) that double to keep your ears warm on the slopes. Of course, she uses it on the water when she hits rails too.

What is the difference between the snowboard helmet and wakeboard??? And is the insulation hard to dry out?

wakeworld 01-08-2014 6:24 PM

The wake helmet it all waterproof, so there is no drying out of the insulation. None of it can get wet. The difference as far as I can tell is warmth. The waterproof foam doesn't provide as much warmth and the ear flaps don't really keep your ears warm. Also, you don't have a goggle clip on the back of the wake helmet.

Pannellboy004 01-08-2014 6:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeworld (Post 1858675)
The wake helmet it all waterproof, so there is no drying out of the insulation. None of it can get wet. The difference as far as I can tell is warmth. The waterproof foam doesn't provide as much warmth and the ear flaps don't really keep your ears warm. Also, you don't have a goggle clip on the back of the wake helmet.

Alright I appreciate that

jeventures 01-09-2014 8:03 AM

Bern

I just bought a Bern helmet for both sports. They are loved by snowboarders and you can get a water liner for wake boarding.

Pannellboy004 01-09-2014 8:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeventures (Post 1858737)
I just bought a Bern helmet for both sports. They are loved by snowboarders and you can get a water liner for wake boarding.

Where did you get it from and what was the price on it?

Pannellboy004 03-09-2014 5:29 PM

I need some more opinions on this top because wakeboarding season is coming up! And Defiantely need a helmet. I would like to kill two birds with one stone

BlitzedVLX 03-10-2014 7:14 AM

Bern Watts Hard Hat may be an option. it has a summer and winter liner.

dvsone79 03-10-2014 7:43 AM

FWIW, I wear a helmet for snowboarding but no helmet for wake. I only ride boat. My opinion is if you get one for both you'll be sacrificing function and will end up ditching your in between helmet and buying one for each, which is what you should have done to begin with. The liners and flaps for a snow helmet aren't meant for water. A water helmet won't keep your noggin warm without a beanie underneath, which will significantly change the fit of the helmet, further defeating your efforts. And, as others have already pointed out, a water sports helmet lacks the goggle strap clip. You could wear goggles with the strap underneath, but that just looks silly, and will even further change the fit since, if you recall, you already need to wear a beanie underneath.

Just do it right the first time.

trayson 03-10-2014 8:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvsone79 (Post 1867751)
You could wear goggles with the strap underneath, but that just looks silly

I don't know about that... Seems like Olympic Slopestyle medalist Nick Goepper does just fine with goggles under the helmet... Just sayin.

http://media.theindychannel.com/phot....0_640_480.jpg

That said, it wouldn't be hard at all to glue on a little clip. On my helmet, the "clip" for the goggles is just two snaps and a piece of elastic between the two. Wouldn't be that hard to retrofit.

That said, there's really not that much insulation in the liner of a snow helmet. The pads are only there to pad the hard foam of the helmet from your head.

And it doesn't take much to say warm. I wear a super thin Serius Thermax Balaclava and I've ridden with that in temps of zero to negative farenheit.

http://i.tfcdn.com/img2/wOWLQ08AY9KV...ToA/fvUG-v8A.B

If warmth was that big of an issue, it would be pretty easy to throw on a helmet cover.

bcrider 03-10-2014 8:47 AM

I have a Smith Variant helmet with the built in speakers for snowboarding and love it.

I have whatever cheaper style Pro line (?) helmet that OWC sells for riding cable.

I would suggest getting a helmet specifically for each sport.

trayson 03-10-2014 8:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrider (Post 1867767)
I have a Smith Variant helmet with the built in speakers for snowboarding and love it.

I have whatever cheaper style Pro line (?) helmet that OWC sells for riding cable.

I would suggest getting a helmet specifically for each sport.

Great point! I LOVE the skullcandy speakers in my snowboard helmet. nice to have tunes while riding for me. I have a cord that clips on my jacket that has a volume dial and a push button mute button that I can do with my gloves on. That way I can be social on the chairlift easily. :cool: I also have some Outdoor Research touch tech gloves so I can use the touchscreen on my phone with gloves still on. I love me some gadgets!!!

dvsone79 03-11-2014 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trayson (Post 1867763)
I don't know about that... Seems like Olympic Slopestyle medalist Nick Goepper does just fine with goggles under the helmet... Just sayin.

http://media.theindychannel.com/phot....0_640_480.jpg

He rides great. He looks silly.