WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through July 08, 2003 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=74492)
-   -   Do you turn the engine off when getting in/out (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70884)

jonh 06-13-2003 9:21 PM

I have always turned the engine off on I/O's when skiers get in and out of the water. Just got a Mastercraft - what do folks do for safety - yes it always better to turn off the engine but is it necessary for inboards.

sprucie 06-13-2003 9:58 PM

I don't, the driver always tells the skiier it's in neutral before they climb out though.

levi 06-13-2003 10:06 PM

I would always turn it off......I'd much rather buy a new starter than ever have an accident and someone get injured. I've also read on here that someone had a rider getting in on the swim platform and his board floated up underneath and it chewed up his board something fierce. So accidents can happen. That'm my 2 cents.

tclagggym 06-13-2003 11:12 PM

I always turn it off, getting in and out, better safe then sorry! Saves lines too. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by tclagggym on June 13, 2003)

turtle 06-14-2003 4:46 AM

Saves hours also

fogey 06-14-2003 6:25 AM

Engine off when anyone is getting in or out of the water. Sometimes people get frustrated with this, but I don't want to see anyone get hurt. Accidents happen when you least expect them, especially on the water. <BR> <BR>Plus, it's my boat, so it's my legal liability at stake. I'd prefer to keep my home and savings.

kirk 06-14-2003 7:17 AM

Engine off when anyone is on the swim step getting ready...Carbon Monoxide snorting is not healthy....

timmy 06-14-2003 7:33 AM

i used to leave it on, due to necessity (fuel pump problem + vapor lock) <BR> <BR>now that it is fixed i turn it off. also CO fumes are bad!

gunz 06-14-2003 8:01 AM

It depends,if were in a moving current it would be on.Or maybe in a busy area where we have to get out quik.Those are the only reasons I can think of to leave it running.Otherwise we turn it off.

tlb 06-14-2003 8:28 AM

On my old prostar 190 the prop would sometimes still turn even if it was in neutral. I asked my mechanic about it and he said it was a common thing. So I've always been in the habit of turning it off.

salmon_tacos 06-14-2003 8:39 AM

It's been mentioned but it's worth repeating: Carbon Monoxide. Turn it off. <BR> <BR>Someone posted a report on CO poisoning on US lakes and I noticed in there that measured levels of CO at the swimstep could be high enough for fatal exposure in 30 seconds. <BR> <BR>Even at below fatal levels, I wonder how often people just end up feeling ill because of CO exposure.

sn0w 06-14-2003 11:18 AM

We have an outboard so we always turn it off. always.

3puttwilson 06-14-2003 12:52 PM

Always turn it off. Better safe than sorry.

wes_the_gimp 06-14-2003 8:32 PM

I thought you turn off the engine for prop safety but I saw a TV report on CO poisoning and Teak Surfing. They added something to the fuel to show the normally invisible gasses. It was sick. A giant cloud of smoke all around the swim step when in neutral. Even when moving the smoke curls up and forward around the back end of the boat. <BR>Motor off!!