WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chase Schuster in the hospital after s-bend attempt (video) (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782850)

stevo8290 08-18-2010 11:32 PM

Chase Schuster in the hospital after s-bend attempt (video)

So recently one of my friends Chase Schuster went for his first s-bend. He has been putting this trick off for a while and finally went for it. The fall resulted in an instant knock out. He had a badly bruised brain, a partially collapsed lung and a fractured rib. Luckily he is alright and ready ride soon. He said he will most likely try another s-bend soon.

I was not there for this but he emailed me the video and i figured i would share, i was shocked. He went huge.http://www.facebook.com/video/video....9985585&ref=mf

timmo 08-19-2010 3:23 AM

Can't see the vid (at work, and all those useful proxies are blocked!) but hope he gets well soon & gets back out there :)

hyperlite 08-19-2010 3:55 AM

Jesus

baitkiller 08-19-2010 6:25 AM

Wow. Please go buy that guy a CGA vest and a good helmet. He keeps trying new huge tricks like that with no lid and he will be getting coloring books for Christmas the rest of his life.
Give him our best for a full recovery.

kyle_L 08-19-2010 6:52 AM

Geez man that hurt me. Thankfully he is ok. That is nuts that he wants to try another S-Bend. Sometimes you just have to move on lol. It is like Matt Hoffman trying to go bigger and bigger on a bike. Have you heard that guy speak lately. I took a pretty bad fall (one of my worst) a couple days ago, and I was talking to my buddy yesterday telling him the story and he goes "Dude you told me this yesterday" and I had to check my old calls to see that I did call him. I honestly didn't even think I hit my head (it was a rail) but it was probably the whiplash that did it. That being said, I'm taking today off.

jarrod 08-19-2010 7:04 AM

Ouch. Stories like this are scarey to hear. The crash didn't actually look that bad to me. Didn't look like his head really hit hard. Obviously it did.

Hope he's feeling better.

crosenhahn 08-19-2010 8:04 AM

Didn't think the crash looked to bad (seen worse) Glad to hear he is doing better! That is why I wear a helmet when learning new tricks and most of the time I ride.

srock 08-19-2010 8:20 AM

I didn't realize a helmet made that big a difference.

mattgettel 08-19-2010 8:24 AM

can someone put that video into this thread. i cant watch it at work.

baitkiller 08-19-2010 8:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srock (Post 1624412)
I didn't realize a helmet made that big a difference.

Proved it personally. They certainly do. Mr. concussion reporting in.

bennn 08-19-2010 8:28 AM

glad to hear he's alright

stevo8290 08-19-2010 8:41 AM

it was bad though, from what i was told they turned the boat around fast as possible and by the time they got there he was a little under water, board off. They pulled him out and then he came to. My friend told me his memory was just gone though, he couldnt remember his name or the president.

Im pretty sure he is getting a new vest soon.

mattgettel 08-19-2010 8:42 AM

im trying like hell to forget who the president is myself.

RanceOU 08-19-2010 10:04 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^LOL, Nice!!

athleticmale 08-19-2010 10:07 AM

"he couldn't remember his name or the president. "

Wow, great trick, I have to try that one!

Seriously hope he is ok though.

somebuddy 08-19-2010 10:17 AM

Oh man, that's too bad. Baitkiller, that's good to hear that helmets help. I've had a few concussions and have been contemplating getting a helmet for awhile now, especially for learning new tricks.

cwb4me 08-19-2010 10:22 AM

:confused:who is the president ? all i know is bush is still getting the blame almost 2 years after the fact. thats like someone blaming you for the smell in the bathroom 2 years after you used it last. after a while you have to look in the mirror. opps i'm sorry i didn't remember what post this was. i've had multiple concussions.LOL:D:D:D:D:D

wakeworld 08-19-2010 4:07 PM

I don't know if anyone can say whether a helmet would have helped, hurt or done nothing. Just don't be too quick to assume it would help in all situations. That fall looks like it had the potential to "bucket" a helmet, which could have slowed his head down faster than it already did. It's possible that not wearing a helmet reduced the injury, but I don't think anyone can draw a definitive conclusion either way.

jsweat 08-19-2010 4:36 PM

i honestly don't see how a helmet could help anything other than hitting your head on a solid object like a rail, ledge, kicker, etc.

baitkiller 08-19-2010 4:51 PM

Don't worry about the helmet. Pray for Chase and a full recovery.

Wear a lid if you want. >datz OK>> sorry if I derailed the thread.
John

stevo8290 08-19-2010 5:56 PM

we went out today, chase rode and had a good time. hes still taking it easy for now but he'll be back soon

wake_upppp 08-19-2010 5:57 PM

Hoping for a speedy recovery indeed. I see real well how a helmet hepls on something other than a solid object. 3 seasons wearing one for wake riding, no bell ringers, 8 seasons without one, plenty of bell ringers...

stevo8290 08-20-2010 1:45 PM

i personally dont think a helmet would do anything. It would just at swing weight imho. and actually creating more surface area on your head that would not go into the water as easily causing a more abrupt stop.

Sparky Jay- 3 seasons no bell ringers?? you must not be riding hard enough, hahaha im just kidding

behindtheboat 08-20-2010 1:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevo8290 (Post 1624686)
we went out today, chase rode and had a good time. hes still taking it easy for now but he'll be back soon

prob should be taking it easy as in not riding for a few days. Brain swelling isn't something to mess with