WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through June 17, 2007 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=464977)
-   -   IPOD WITHOUT A HEAD UNIT?? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458284)

typhoon 06-05-2007 7:33 AM

Has anyone skipped the head unit and just used a switch on the dash to turn on the amps? What about treble and bass controls? fading could be accolmplished with dials on the dash also...any other foreseen problems?

duramaxer 06-05-2007 7:38 AM

I have just the ipod controling the whole stereo in my boat. I found that I could control fade, bass and treble with just the x overs and amp levels. The stereo sounds good to me other that don't forget your ipod at home (not that I have done this or anything). I have had this for 2 years now with no issues yet.

typhoon 06-05-2007 7:44 AM

what about bass and treble for bigger stereos?

denverd1 06-05-2007 7:49 AM

tried an eq? <BR> <BR>very interesting... i'm assuming you would use some interface to go to RCA's then straight into the first amp. (or split then to amps.) good idea. I've got a few CDs, but I honestly think 97% of it is on the pod too....

duramaxer 06-05-2007 7:52 AM

How big are you talking about?

joe_crawley 06-05-2007 8:12 AM

Haven't had a head unit in my boat ever and don't miss it. Tune the system with an EQ if you have to.

acurtis_ttu 06-05-2007 8:16 AM

Ty, to answer your question, IMO if you haev a fairly large system, exspecially if your trying to integrate pro audio with car audio equipment you should at least have an eq along with the ipod for tuning.

typhoon 06-05-2007 8:29 AM

about 1700 watts with sub and tower speakers. An eq might be in order or should I just stick with a head unit?

duramaxer 06-05-2007 8:39 AM

That is about what I have running in my boat now (6 6 1/2" inside the boat 4 6 1/2 bi mods on the tower and 12" sub) and I don't have a problem balancing it out at all with just the amps and x over also there is some eq adjustment on your ipod. Well I guess it is more just tone adjustment but it might help you out some.

typhoon 06-05-2007 8:42 AM

you are talking about an active crossover...not just on the amps, right?

extremeisaac 06-05-2007 8:50 AM

if your running an EQ you mide as well be running a deck as well.. why wouldnt you want to run the deck?

duramaxer 06-05-2007 8:55 AM

I have x overs (high pass and low pass) in the amps that allow me to adjust bass level/volume to the sub and along with the tone/volume that will go to the rest of the speakers. It definatly is not as percise control of sound tone as with the head unit but a eq should take care of that for you if you are worried that the sound tones will be substandard. <BR>To be honest I am not sure that I could tell the difference anyway when the boat is running and the wind noise etc. This setup works and I am pleased with the sound. I am sure that it wouldn't win any awards though.

typhoon 06-05-2007 8:57 AM

that is what I am trying to determine

fletch_tx 06-05-2007 9:04 AM

I do the EQ only thing in my truck....works great!!

technarider 06-05-2007 9:39 AM

i was doing this setup before.. and had it all set up to work like this.. <BR> <BR>ipod connector from peripheral.com they have one for about 50 bucks that uses the docking on the ipod.. charges it also.. and has rca outs <BR> <BR>Sound processer from some were with at least 1 input 3 outputs (front/rear with sub) has master volume control as well as bass control and front/rear fade.. as far as price goes arc audio had a good priced one with all these features model number was KEQ-5 <BR> <BR>the rest would be simple rca outs to the amps.. and so on.. this should allow you to have all the control you want <BR> <BR>hoe this helps some