WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Private lake membership near Bakersfield? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796242)

seth 11-21-2012 3:43 PM

Private lake membership near Bakersfield?

Anybody interested in sharing a membership on an 8' deep private lake in Arvin, CA? $1300/each for the year. Message me to discuss and for info. Goes up to $1350 each after Dec. 1. Butter all day everyday and close to LA.

bbr 11-21-2012 4:06 PM

I know a guy, that knows a guy.......

11-21-2012 4:52 PM

Damn...ur private lakes are expensive

boardman74 11-21-2012 5:02 PM

I think water out there is at a premium. Your in the lakes region on Florida so seems like a lot. When i lived up in Jax I would have happily paid that for fresh water instead of all the salt and brackish.

seth 11-21-2012 8:11 PM

Yeah, once you get south of the Delta, finding good water is tough. The early morning runs arent really even there anymore. People power turning and surfing at 7AM. Plus any lake is at least an hour away. It sucks to pay all the money to get there and not even be able to ride. With the private lake we can get there at noon and still shred 3 sets.

Poser lets ride this weekend!!!! Supposed to be 75!

durty_curt 11-21-2012 10:12 PM

How much of An effect does 8ft deep of water have oh the wake? I've done 5ft and that just turned the lip into mush

redsupralaunch 11-23-2012 7:42 AM

I dont want to hijack but Im am very thankful of the $300/per year membership at the Muncie Waterbowl.

bbr 11-23-2012 10:09 AM

@DC- an 8' deep lake is plenty deep for a nice fat wake. Our lake is 5' and it's also a nice fat wake. Plenty of mobes big spins have gone down behind our boat. People assume that a shallow lake doesn't allow you have a big wake.....they are wrong.

24.2 MPH at 75'. No mush here at all.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...pper/lake1.jpg

Seth, what are your plans for the weekend?

hillbilly 11-23-2012 10:17 AM

The key in shallow water is to not run the boat to heavy....Or at least thats what seemed to be the case I've seen.

seth 11-25-2012 5:09 PM

8' is plenty deep. We over 3K in an 01SAN and its just as good as being in any deep lake.

andy_nintzel 11-26-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbilly (Post 1795654)
The key in shallow water is to not run the boat to heavy....Or at least thats what seemed to be the case I've seen.

I am no physics major but my understanding for a fully loaded boat the sweet spot for water depth is 12 feet. Or dont run to heavy. You need 12 feet of water to have the water properly displace if not you actually get bounce back off the bottom and it washes out the wake.

steezyshots 11-26-2012 1:15 PM

Why would you do that when a cable park is opening April 2013 in Nor Cal? Maybe because of the drive, but I would drive to Bako on the regs if there was a cable park there. Now I only have to drive 15 minutes to my local Sacto cable! YAY!

hillbilly 11-26-2012 1:58 PM

Steezy....Is cable better then wake?
I'm also liking the cable being so close..But is it better then wake in your opinion....or just different?

stephan 11-26-2012 7:00 PM

Having ridden Seth's loaded up Super Air in deep water and also riding it at this private lake, I honestly don't think there is any difference in wake quality. Some other private lakes I have noticed a difference, not this one.

If I were a boat owner I would be all over this. I'm used to riding Naci and the trip to Bakersfield takes about twice as long (1 hour versus 2 hours) from SLO. Like he said, getting good water is impossible unless you have weekdays free to ride. This option guarantees you perfect butter all day long.

Riley, would you pay $ to ride butter if the Delta & cable wasn't in your backyard? Look at it like this, if you had to ride Folsom on Saturdays and Sundays only, how much would perfect conditions be worth? The cable will be great, but traveling 5-6 hours each way will not satisfy my riding habits.

ttrigo 11-27-2012 12:06 PM

so cal is terrible for water, even during the week. private lakes are the only way to guarantee yourself good water, and zero walliies. heck, even when it was windy at Chucks place, the water was still perfect. if I was still a boat owner, I would be all over that.
with that being said, if I had a cable option near by, I would prefer that, as it is easier on my old arthritic joints than giant wakes!

hkysk8r187 11-28-2012 2:35 PM

I'm out at Chuck and Brandons lake, and it's 5' deep and both our wakes are great. 8' should be plenty to have a wake big enough to not complain about!

durty_curt 11-28-2012 7:55 PM

5' deep enough? Really?? yeah if you run no ballast i could see that being true..

ttrigo 11-29-2012 6:52 AM

Have you ridden in five feet of water before durty curt? I used to ride at chucks lake regularly, and there were never any issues with the wake being "washy" or too small.

wakedaveup 11-29-2012 7:45 AM

I grew up riding on a river in CA that was average 5' deep. We've had Xstars, my old MB (3500lbs ballast), malibus, you name it out there and all loaded up. Never had an issue. I do agree to the fact that maybe the wakes would have been better in 10' of water, but the point still remains that we never had an issue with washy wakes due to shallow depths or any issues at all other than the occassional stupid tree stump under water lol. This is literally over a 10 year period not just a few runs in shallow water.

durty_curt 11-29-2012 2:33 PM

Yes i have wakeboarded in 5 ft depth water on a private lake here in Arizona quite a few times. On a boat just 2 years older than mine but with the same hull and running close to the same weight as i do minus about 100#. Looking from the boat at the wake (@ the private lake) it looks fine. Not washed out or anything like that, But when wakeboarding and hitting the wake I can tell its missing its lip to it. As if you had the rear tanks emptied. i shouldn't have said before but rather said no or less lip. So what we do to compensate for this is slow the boat down a quarter mph And charge harder. Still doesn't feel quite right though. The private lake is man made with the bottom being all cement, that may have An effect?? Also from what Dust storms we the dirt does settle on the bottom of the cemented private lake, and Everytime we make a passes through certain areas where the dirt (now.mud) builds up, you can see it churned up in the wake and rooster tail. That's how I'm really sure we're missing our lip to the wake.

steezyshots 11-29-2012 3:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbilly (Post 1795878)
Steezy....Is cable better then wake?
I'm also liking the cable being so close..But is it better then wake in your opinion....or just different?

I prefer it, because I am old and the crashes are a little less abusive on the body! I also prefer hitting rails to hitting the wake. So for me yes it's better. Boat riding gets boring, yes it's fun to be out there having fun but I prefer to ride 8 people at a time with my homies rather than sitting in the boat watching and waiting my turn.

hillbilly 11-29-2012 10:53 PM

Lol...I'm afraid hitting a rail is going to hurt worse then water!!!!

jsweat 12-01-2012 8:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boardman74 (Post 1795555)
I think water out there is at a premium. Your in the lakes region on Florida so seems like a lot. When i lived up in Jax I would have happily paid that for fresh water instead of all the salt and brackish.

here in Jax if you're not riding in Black Creek you are riding in the wrong areas. Black creek during the week is primo. Might be one of the best spots in FL during the week, on the weekend different story. We're talking miles of tree lined creek at the perfect width and during the week nobody else to share with at all.

12-01-2012 8:47 AM

^^^just you & the gators:)

bbr 12-01-2012 12:35 PM

DC, if you are ever in our area, you're more than welcome to come out and get a pull. I assure you that our wake will change your opinion of whether a shallow lake can put out. We have a VTX and run about 3500lbs and the wake is legit. Our neighbor has a Super Air 210 and his wake is legit as well. We do push up some clouds of mud from time to time, but the wake is just plain nice. I will say that out power wedge allows us a have a super lippy wake, or flatten it out.

boardman74 12-01-2012 6:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr (Post 1796598)
^^^just you & the gators:)

You aren't kidding there. I've ridden black creek many times. While it's kinda nice it's narrow and if you have to pass a boat in spots it's super tight. I've also come around corners and almost head on'd people driving on the left side of the road. Also not fun if your behind another rider being pulled or someone is crowding your rider. People ride Black creek because it's about the only fresh water in that area. I can think of about a million better places in Florida to ride. But on a side note I do here the gator hunting is good in there as there's a million of those in there too. They also prefer the fresh water of Black Creek!!

I guess it's OK if your the only boat in there, but since it's not a secret I've never seen that happen.