WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Northern Minnesota (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789889)

andy_nintzel 08-30-2011 12:02 PM

Northern Minnesota

As everyones life has its twists, turns, and curve balls, so does mine. My Family and I have an amazing opportunity to move out of the Minneapolis big city life we have come to love and to the woods of Northern Minnesota. Specifically the Grand Rapids, Minnesota Area. My wife has scored a dream job in Grand Rapids, and at the same time an amazing opportunity fell into my lap. The main benefit of life up there is how affordable living on a lake is, not to mention not having to put up with any where near as much boat traffic. In fact a house we are seriously considering purchasing is on a lake with only 12 houses on it, the rest is national park land. Of course this means giving up life as we know it.

Does any one on WakeWorld live in Northern Minnesota, even better the Grand Rapids area? As selfish as it sounds one of the things I am struggling with is leaving my wakeboard crew.

peterslc 08-30-2011 1:51 PM

Nice! Grand Rapids is where I grew up. As a matter of fact, I met you at your wife's 10yr reunion a few years back. Not sure if you remember, but I recognized your name tag from wakeworld. Small world. I live out in CA right now, but my GF and I bought a house on Pokegama last fall. We're on the 1-2yr plan for moving back. Haven't been on WW for awhile, mainly since I just haven't been on the lake all that much in the past year or so. When any lake worth riding is 3+ hrs away, and with a bad back lately, it's been on the back burner. My itch to get back to northern MN is growing, esp. with the purchase of the lake home.

Do you mind me asking what lake you're looking at? I know when we move back I'll be searching for fellow riders. Most of my close friends were never into the wake scene much.

Living on a lake has always been my dream. I don't think you'll regret it if you move north. Just buy a snowmobile in the winter. Some great trails up that way.

csswake3 08-30-2011 2:03 PM

I didn't grow up in Grand Rapids, but have been there many times. My uncle owns a resort on North Star Lake about 26 miles North of Grand Rapids. There are soo many lakes its crazy, not to mention its almost ALL fishing boats on the water, no tubers!!! With that being said, its pretty rural area, and the water is freezing, but the lakes are so much cleaner. I unfortunately do not know anyone who rides in the area. Best of Luck if you move!

andy_nintzel 08-30-2011 6:50 PM

LP!

Man I had a few brews that night! Forgive me, I remeber meeting some one who talked to me from wakeworld but not much about the specifics! Get your butt Back to MN I need some up north crew! Its funny you mentioned getting a sled for the winter. When Mandy and I started talking about the Move to Rapids, the first thing I said was I am buying some snowmobiles! There is a new boat in the mix too soon I hope. I am hoping for a Place on Big Trout. That was the Lake I mentioned.

We are also looking at Pokegama, Prarie, Wabana, Deer, and a few others.

sppeders 08-30-2011 7:37 PM

I look weekly for jobs in central MN/ Park Rapids, Brainerd/ Grand Rapids areas.....

I'd do it in a heart beat. As far as sledding goes. If you buy one we'll have to hit it up this winter. Cough...buy an XP... cough.......I'm up in that area almost every weekend during the winter months. (Well Park Rapids) I must warn you, sledding is addicting.

Water is def cooler, but flatter, and quieter.

Go for it.

MNRIDER 08-31-2011 6:34 AM

I know the area well. I lived in Cross Lake for a summer when I bartended at the Big Trout Tavern. I lived at the lodge on the lake but I didn't get alot of riding in at the time because I was boat-less, but I still got out a few times. Big Trout is pretty cold because it is so deep, I also found that if you are on the White Fish Chain you are dealing with alot of power boaters and poker runs. Enough with the negative though. It's a super fun place to be, and the lakes are clean and if you talk to the guys at CC Boat Works they will be able to help you with your boat situation, and maybe even hook you up with some of the other riders in the area. I am 2 1/2 hours away from there now but venture all over the state to get on the water every weekend, maybe our paths will cross some time. Good luck dude!

andy_nintzel 08-31-2011 7:01 AM

Thanks for all the words of encouragement! Cold water does not scare me. Wife is from Grand Rapids, I am super familiar with H2O temps and really the lakes do get warm!

I have been all over the internet hunting down some sleds! between sledding and ice fishing I should be able to make it through the winter just fine. Plus I make a few trips to SoCal to ride! I am super excited on this!

peterslc 08-31-2011 10:26 AM

My parent's place is on Little Jay Gould, the first lake off of the Pokegama Channel. Perfect little lake for riding, and is usually a little warmer than most. I'm actually not too familiar with the other lakes except Sugar. Guess I never had to venture far from the Pokegama chain. I noticed the limited amount of houses that do go on sale on Sugar are spendy, and it's a little too wide open for riding anyway. No question I'm biased, but if you can, get a spot on Pokegama or Little Jay. Closer to town(for the most part), there's more action going on, but still plenty of good water to be had , Zorbaz... There's only a few so-called crazy weekends (laughable coming from central cali lakes & havasu), and even then you can find good water, atleast when the wind is down.

If you have a few free days when you're in SoCal, you have to hit up Mammoth, assuming you snowboard. A solid 4+hr drive, but well worth it. The past few years the snow has been DEEP! Just another reason we haven't been hitting the lake as much.

kmehrkens 08-31-2011 8:07 PM

Other than missing what you're used to around the TC area, it sounds like the positives outweigh negatives by a lot. Who doesn't like northern Minnesota? You'd be on a fairly exclusive lake? Are you kidding me? That's awesome!

sinkoumn 08-31-2011 10:00 PM

Andy, you're more than welcome anytime to come ride with us man! I just moved back from SoCal and have a boat on the lift in Side Lake, MN (16 miles north of Hibbing). Bit of a drive, but anytime you're around or want to ride just let me know.

andy_nintzel 09-01-2011 6:52 AM

Lukas! I was talking to Mandy last night and I totally remember you. Where are you in Cali? Mandy and I lived out that way for a few years in LA. I rode a TON and Beanu Vista with Ricky G and other, and at Castaic TONS! If your back in MN we should link up even it this place is covered in snow and ice.

Sinko I will take you up on that in a heart beat. We are not going to be on a lake until next summer, we have to sell our current over-priced house first! At least we are not buried in the stupid thing. I know for sure that I will have my current X-Star with me, but I have my fingers crossed that cash-flow will work out so that we can have a new X-Star at the end of the Dock in the summer of 2012! I was going to nab a new X-Star this summer but decided to hold off and get some new rides instead.

The more responses I get the More stoked I get! You guys are helping put my mind at ease!

snowboardcorey 09-01-2011 11:01 AM

Never been there but we have quite a few customers up in that area, most are families that ski and board more on the recreational side but they've still all got the stoke. Honestly after living in MPLS for 10+ years I'd love to get up north, now if the housing market would cooperate a little I could make that happen!!!

andy_nintzel 09-05-2011 10:27 AM

Ahhhhhhhh moving in 8 days!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone wanna buy an amazing house in WBL????

peterslc 09-06-2011 1:05 PM

Crazy! We'll for sure have to meet up when we eventually get back.

I'm about 25min north of Santa Clarita, in Palmdale. Definitely not a wakeboarding mecca. We used to go to BV quite a bit, but haven't been for about a year. It just started to become too nuts on the summer weekends, and in the winter we would head to Mammoth. I'll let you know if I ever get back this year. I do one big trip to GR over the 4th every year.

Good luck on the house hunt. We'll need updates when it happens!

andy_nintzel 09-06-2011 1:42 PM

ABout to go put in my Two Week Notice Here Goes!