WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   LCD TV Help (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=778663)

polarbill 04-19-2010 12:26 PM

LCD TV Help

So, as I mentioned in my other thread I just bought a new condo. I am going to Best Buy today to buy an LCD TV. I am thinking I should probably get a 40" tv or so. The living room isn't that big and the couch is probably 7-10 feet from where the TV will sit. Does a 40" LCD sound about the right size? Other questions I have are is 1080P or 120hz really worth it? After reading some stuff it sounds like 1080P is worth it and I am not sure if there are really that many 720P TV's in the 40+ size even around. I see on Best Buy's website that they have a Sony Bravia 40" with 1080P and 60hz for $630 as well as a Samsung 40" with the same specs for about $50 more. Is it really worth it to upgrade to the 120hz? Am I better off buying a top quality brand name(samsung, sony) with 1080P and 60hz or buying a more value line(Insignia) and getting 120hz? Does anybody know whether 60 or 120hz really makes a difference on a 40" tv or is it a bigger deal on larger tv's?

acurtis_ttu 04-19-2010 1:13 PM

I'm not a TV junkie, but I've been very happy with my 52" Sharp Aquos LCD I bought last year for a hair under $1k at best buy. It's 60hrtz, but was cheap and big. How big is the room it's going in, I think 40 is small for a main living area, but that's me.

I can tell the diff between 60/120 in the store, but at my house, I don't notice anything.

I have a 22" insignia TV ( LCD) on my pontoon boat I use for college footbal. It was dirt cheap and I've been very pleased with it, It's held up well even after being dropped a few times.

jonblarc7 04-19-2010 1:44 PM

Here is a wedsite I check every day for all kinds of deals. Today they have two 42" TV for $520-550. The cheaper one is 720 and they other is a 1080p both are free shipping. I have found several great deals use this website.

http://dealnews.com/

polarbill 04-19-2010 1:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acurtis_ttu (Post 1574962)
I'm not a TV junkie, but I've been very happy with my 52" Sharp Aquos LCD I bought last year for a hair under $1k at best buy. It's 60hrtz, but was cheap and big. How big is the room it's going in, I think 40 is small for a main living area, but that's me.

I can tell the diff between 60/120 in the store, but at my house, I don't notice anything.

I have a 22" insignia TV ( LCD) on my pontoon boat I use for college footbal. It was dirt cheap and I've been very pleased with it, It's held up well even after being dropped a few times.

Adam, the room is not very big. My place is just a 600 sq ft one bedroom place. The farthest anybody would be sitting from the TV is 10-12 feet I think. If 60hz doesn't bother you at all on a 52" tv I can't imagine it bothering me that much if at all on a 40" tv.

In addition I don't really watch a lot of crazy action movies with surround sound or anything. I watch mostly standard network television and sports.

kstateskier 04-19-2010 1:49 PM

What are you going to be doing with the TV? Do you watch a lot of movies, sports, etc? I don't watch that many movies at home, my viewing is usually either DVR'ed television shows or sports. If you watch a lot of movies I have heard it's worth jumping up. Personally I don't see the need. What I will tell you though, is moving up is not going to do you any good if you don't plan to spend the money on decent cables, etc. and have a quality HD programming list through your cable/sat provider. As Adam said, I also am no TV junkie, so this is just what I've seen.

I have a 40" Samsung in my bedroom where the TV is about 7 feet away. It is a decent size. In my living room the couch is about 12 ft. away and I have a 60" Sony. I also think 40" is a little small for the living area, but I would just stand 7 feet away in the store and make the decision that is best for you.

kstateskier 04-19-2010 1:50 PM

Posted while I was posting. I would think a 40" 60hz would be fine for you.

diamonddad 04-19-2010 3:22 PM

I got a 46" Sony LED LCD at Costco for about $1500. It rocks. Love it!

Don't skimp. Get something that you will like for many years.

polarbill 04-19-2010 3:31 PM

Ok, so before actually looking at them in person which I am going to do and will be the deciding factor here are the 3 options.

Sony Bravia-40", 1080P, 60hz-$629.99
Samsung-40", 1080P, 60hz-$674.99
Insignia-46", 1080P, 120hz-$699.99

sdub 04-19-2010 4:33 PM

at out lake house we have the samsung 1080p 46" 60 hz. Its just over 2 years old. It is a really great tv. I dont like it as much as my 50 plasma, but its close. I do notice motion blur when watching some sporting events, mostly basketball. I do notice it a bit less watching football, not annoying but just occasionally noticeable. Of the 3 above sets, I pick the Sammy. I do not like the sony picutre as much. For me the sammy or the Sharp aquos were the stand outs in the 60 hz sets.

We sit about 12-13 feet from the TV. The 46 is fine, but I really wish we went bigger. So does my wife, which is surprising. The 60 hz is fine, but if I was buying today, I would go 120 or faster. Costco has some very good pricing on their TVs plus they double the manufact. warranty.

diamonddad 04-19-2010 5:26 PM

I did not go with plasma because they reflect so much more than LCD. So, this is a big deciding factor on plasma.

mkrueger313 04-20-2010 12:36 PM

Get 120hz its definetely worth the extra money for a better picture

polarbill 04-20-2010 1:18 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up going to Best Buy last night and picked up an Insignia 42" 1080P 120hz LCD. It was the floor model and I got it for $585. I ended up picking up a blue ray player and a surge protector as well. Walked out just under $800 for all that stuff including 10% sales tax.

Too bad I got home and tried to hook up the comcast HD box and apparently the cable outlet on the side of the living room I have the TV is not hooked up. I am hoping I can pop off the outlet cover and simply hook up the cable from inside the wall to the outlet. If I can't do that I am going to have to wait a week for Comcast to come out and/or buy a 12-15' temporary cable to run across the living room.