WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through January 18, 2008 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=537823)
-   -   3 stage vs. Continuous (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524526)

wakeboardchamp43 12-04-2007 4:56 PM

I know some differences between 3 stage and continuous rocker, but what are the major differences?

hawk7 12-04-2007 5:01 PM

3 Stage- Vertical Pop, sits low in the water, for w2w riding style. <BR> <BR>Continuous- Distance Pop, rides high in water. for w2 flats style, like randall.

dlwsrider 12-04-2007 5:05 PM

The Countinous rocker is also alot more forgivable, and tends to have nicer, more predictable take off and landings. <BR> <BR>Newbies tend to prefer continous, but many pro's ride continous rockers (rusty, murray, ruck, sharpe, etc.)

praisinplaya 12-04-2007 10:47 PM

actually murray has switched to a dual rocker pattern or subtle 3stage for 08 and ruck has been riding 3stage forever. his era (old premier) shapes have always been subtle 3stage. and randall rode an aggressive 3stage up until his new shape came out last year and was switched to continuous. <BR>but it all really comes down to rider preference. i feel like a 3stage will "buck" me a lot higher off the wake and a continuous will throw me further into the flats, but not as high.

georgi 12-05-2007 1:39 AM

And how do you think which is the better for cable riding (no wake at all, inverts from and to the flats)?

stephan 12-05-2007 2:14 AM

For cable you want a faster board that sinks an edge very easily. Look into a board that is a little thinner in overall width and has thin edges. The narrower profile &amp; thin edges are easier to sink for a hard edge. Also look into a board with two fins per side, it will grip a little harder than a single fin board. Certain continuous boards ride like a 3-stage, my new CWB Faction pops like a madman and I had no trouble transitioning from my Absolute. They have about the same amount of rocker &amp; the Faction is a very vertical, wake to wake board.

bendow 12-05-2007 3:39 AM

if you're riding cable you want a board that tracks really well and can hold an edge for a long time. Everything big heavy said is right too. I like the natural for cable...but then again I like it for everything.

h2o_junkee 12-05-2007 6:58 AM

A continuous rocker board typically is a faster ride than a 3 stage

georgi 12-05-2007 10:06 AM

"A continuous rocker board typically is a faster ride than a 3 stage" <BR> <BR>So, does that mean the continuous rocker is a better choice for the cable?

h2o_junkee 12-05-2007 11:55 AM

Unfortunately I'm not a cable rider, so I can't say for sure. I would think yes because you really don't need the agressive rocker on a cable because there's no wake. <BR> <BR>If you go by what Big Heavy says "for cable you want a faster board that sinks an edge very easily" that would describe a continuous over a 3 stage.

will5150 12-05-2007 2:33 PM

HMM- not sure I agree with all of this. Continuous boards actually ride LOWER in the water and hold edges better. They're generally more stable for a newbie- and will allow you to hold your edge all the way to the top of the wake better- but you sacrifice "pop" with a continuous. As far as "faster" - I think you can generate more speed easier with the continuous boards- again because your edge is deeper in the water and biting in better. Three Stage boards or even blended boards ride higher and "loose" in the water and are great for surface tricks and huge "pop". You can't throw into a hard cut with a 3-stage without blowing the fins loose, so you need to be more gradually with your turns. <BR>I went from a Motive 139 (continuous board) to a Natural 140 and there is a HUGE difference in the way they perform. I absolutely LOVE the natural- it's very fast, has huge pop and because it's rocker isn't quite as agressive as some of the other 3-stage boards, it holds better in the water- even without the center fins in- which I don't use. The motive is a great beginner board though. Very easy to ride and has a pretty good pop- but it's heavy. Anyway- just my .02 Whatever you use at the cable park- make sure it's something that you don't mide trashing. the kickers and sliders will punish the board very quickly.

bendow 12-05-2007 3:51 PM

where did you get a natural 140?

will5150 12-06-2007 5:58 AM

OOPs- i had the numbers backward- I had a Motive 140 now have a Natural 139- there's really no perceptable difference.

tahoeguy7 12-08-2007 1:38 PM

I don't think it matters what type of rocker you have at a cable park. I like the three stage rocker because that is what I ride and they have a flat spot in the middle of the board.