WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   MB sports tomcat (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785406)

duffymahoney 01-09-2011 10:02 PM

MB sports tomcat

Anyone ever really weight a mb tomcat 21 or 23? I can't seem to find pictures of anyone that has sacked it out. The hull design looks promising for surfing, nice and tall and a deep v.

lakesurfer 01-10-2011 7:06 AM

The MB promotional vids have a very short shot of the Tomcat 23 surfing. Also, the main MB promotional video shows a 23 Widebody.

http://www.mbsports.net/model_view.asp?model=f23tomcat

timmyb 01-10-2011 9:18 AM

My buddy has an F23 and the main problem we had was that since it doesn't have a plate, it was hard to clean up the wave. We didn't spend too much time with it this past summer though, mainly used my RZ2 for surfing. Maybe this year we can throw some weight in it and see what happens. I love the wakeboarding wake behind that boat though, it's awesome!

duffymahoney 01-10-2011 9:32 AM

Yeah those lockers are huge, plus the built in ballast is big. Try tossing like an extra 1500 (the locker area looks amazing for an enzo type sac) or so on top and the wave could be insane! Waves seem to always clean up with enough weight and list.

lakesurfer 01-10-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyb (Post 1653583)
My buddy has an F23 and the main problem we had was that since it doesn't have a plate, it was hard to clean up the wave.

the 2011 MB's have the Bennett Trim tab as an option.

duffymahoney 01-10-2011 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah and you can install them in like 2 hours tops. The hull design looks nice and tall and deep. I just figured someone had sacked one out.

wakemitch 01-10-2011 11:53 AM

I rode behind a 21 tomcat a lot this summer. We put in the 1100lbs sac and the wake was long and steep. It definitely needs a trim tab thought because there is a lot of wash that we could not get ride of on the lip.
We put in a 500lbs sac under the side seat once and the wake was killer. The boat is so tall that you dont have to worry much about water coming in. I still think with just a 1100lbs sac and the stock ballast on the side gets you an amazing wave though.

I haven't tried a tomcat with a trim tab, but I've come to the conclusion that that is what it will take for the wash to go away.

duffymahoney 01-10-2011 11:54 AM

Any pictures? Did you weight just one side?

wakemitch 01-10-2011 11:55 AM

We never weighted the goofy side since we never had to. I'll dig around for some pics.

wakemitch 01-10-2011 12:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
okay I found some pics.
The picture of just the wake is 2 450lbs stacked in the back locker before they got the 1100lbs bag.
The picture of my riding that is more up close is the 1100lbs sac and one observer at 10.6 mph
The picture of my riding that is more far away is the 1100lbs sac 10.6 mph 500lbs of people on the side seat and a 115lbs person in the bow on that side. The wake shape is a lot less steep this way which made it easier for shuvs and other skim tricks, but it lost height which didn't matter too much because it had a ton of push and power.
They all have wash on the lip. I don't think you can get rid of the wash without a trim tab on this boat.
It's not my favorite wakesurfing wake but the wake shape is AMAZING for wakeskating/wakeboarding. Even without filling the stock ballast. Very smooth wake but still pops me up great. Probably my favorite wake for wakeskating/wakeboarding

duffymahoney 01-10-2011 12:31 PM

Did you have the stock port ballast full as well? Very washy, but yeah a cheap lenco plate would probably fix that.

wakemitch 01-10-2011 12:39 PM

Yeah we always used the stock port ballast. Very washy i know. I really want to try one with a trim tab

lakesurfer 01-10-2011 12:55 PM

So that pick with you farther back is what in total weight? How deep is that water?

??? stock port ballast
1,100lbs sac
500lbs people

that wake is really washed out in decent water. I dont think a trim tab is going to fix that unless it has the same problem and Enzo has just on the opposite side. Maybe a new prop would help as well.

wakemitch 01-10-2011 1:03 PM

i believe the stock ballast is 900lbs on each side. the water is about 12-15 feet.
talking to people they said a trim tab is what is needed to knock down the wash. air tricks seem close to impossible with that much wash.

lakesurfer 01-10-2011 5:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakemitch (Post 1653662)
i believe the stock ballast is 900lbs on each side. the water is about 12-15 feet.
talking to people they said a trim tab is what is needed to knock down the wash. air tricks seem close to impossible with that much wash.

well that should be enough weight and the water is deep enough for a decent wave. I hope they figure it out because MB makes a great boat for money. I really like the 23V widebody. I am not a big fan of their pickle for because the forks go out so far (even compared to other pickle fork designs)

duffymahoney 01-11-2011 11:11 AM

I really think the boat has potential. Maybe even 2k on top of the 900 stock.

timmyb 01-13-2011 8:23 AM

Is that wash from the swim platform by any chance?

If you wakeboard and haven't ridden behind one of these boats, I encourage you to do so! The wakeboarding wake is so clean and crisp, I did some of my best riding of the season on my first time behind the F23. It's definitely worth checking out.